Posting Game Suggestions Everyday Til JC Acknowledges Salem

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Counter Criminality

Postby Paradoxyc » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:07 pm

Goodman12 wrote:
pistolshrimp wrote:Pclaims with stolen items act differently when crime is committed on them, Crime! debuff stacking is reduced by 50%, and damage to all walls increased by 33%, and minimum humours required to deal with wall soak is reduced by 50%. Waste, Trespassing and theft (only of previously stolen items) do not drop scents so long as you have the Vigilante Justice unlocked.
TBF timer reduced by 50% when placed over pclaims storing stolen items.

Previous raiding nerfs should be rolled back alongside this change, ie Raid Teas being reintroduced and Crime! debuff being shortened. Stocks are removed entirely.

Problem #1
If these side effects are applied when a stolen item is within the bounds of a p claim then it would be abused by raiders.
Stolen items should be stored ON the p claim itself rather than within its bounds. (maybe you were implying this already but just incase)
Interacting with a p claim should instantiate slots that can be used to store the stolen items, however this introduces its own problems.
How much stolen items can be stored on a pclaim?
- Unlimited? Players abuse it as storage
- Limited Amount? Prob would get abused as storage anyway since it'd have to be a significant amount regardless.
Raiders would be forced to spam p claims all around their base to hold all of their stolen lewt.

Problem #2
Raiders would dedicate specific plots in their base to store stolen items and surround it with their town bell which means none of the side effects you mentioned would apply.

Problem #3
I find it weird that you did not mention the removal of Trial By Combat.
Unless the current version of TbCs are removed from this game then the raiding aspect of Salem will never be in an acceptable position.

Thanks for the feedback! I'd like to address some of these concerns and maybe see what you (or anyone too) thinks would be a good solution.

#1: It would be stored within the bounds of a pclaim, but issues regarding donut claims etc would have to be addressed. Also to what Taipion mentioned, if the character is holding the loot in its inventory, then the scents would lead to that claimstone or leanto (or claim which the leanto is on). Definitely open to suggestions on how this could be worked better.

#2: One of the proposals to this was to speed up the TBF on a stolen item claim by 50% (only if you have the evidence of course). Also open to more suggestions on this.

#3: I think that's a valid point seeing as it would be easier to break in and summon with the new updates. Although I'm not too sure I take issue with it since the update will kind of push towards raider outposts and it's possible that the claim doesn't have to be located where a character's homestead is. It would likely be a vault of some sort either within a town claim or separate entirely.

I appreciate your guys feedback and know this is a very challenging proposal. I'd love to hear more specific ideas on ways to improve on these concepts or new concepts altogether so that when and if JC does come back there's some footprint laid out for raiding suggestions :)
Paradoxyc
Customer

Re: Posting Game Suggestions Everyday Til JC Acknowledges Sa

Postby reeper_aut » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:56 pm

I would add, that a TBF should become more expensive the longer it lasts.
it's easy to build and has hughe troll potential so it should come with a price. -> upkeep.
if you don't plan to use it to raid the town/vault, it should either increase the upkeep or have reprecautions on the sieging town/toon.
reeper_aut

Postby pistolshrimp » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:17 am

Goodman12 wrote:Unless the current version of TbCs are removed from this game then the raiding aspect of Salem will never be in an acceptable position.

Do you mind elaborating on what is wrong with TbCs right now? Is there any functionallity that you would like to keep about Trail By Combats, or do you think they should be removed all together?

reeper_aut wrote:I would add, that a TBF should become more expensive the longer it lasts.
it's easy to build and has hughe troll potential so it should come with a price. -> upkeep.
if you don't plan to use it to raid the town/vault, it should either increase the upkeep or have reprecautions on the sieging town/toon.

This is a really good point. It might make sense that with any system that buffs raiding should push players to "commit" to a raid rather than using it as a way to troll players. In that same line of thought did anyone really use poop claims?
pistolshrimp

Postby AmmaBoss » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:46 am

pistolshrimp wrote:
Goodman12 wrote:Unless the current version of TbCs are removed from this game then the raiding aspect of Salem will never be in an acceptable position.

Do you mind elaborating on what is wrong with TbCs right now? Is there any functionallity that you would like to keep about Trail By Combats, or do you think they should be removed all together?

reeper_aut wrote:I would add, that a TBF should become more expensive the longer it lasts.

This is a really good point. It might make sense that with any system that buffs raiding should push players to "commit" to a raid rather than using it as a way to troll players. In that same line of thought did anyone really use poop claims?

The entire TBC system needs to be removed, this mechanic single-handedly killed the game
AmmaBoss

Postby Goodman12 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:17 pm

Paradoxyc wrote:#1: It would be stored within the bounds of a pclaim, but issues regarding donut claims etc would have to be addressed. Also to what Taipion mentioned, if the character is holding the loot in its inventory, then the scents would lead to that claimstone or leanto (or claim which the leanto is on). Definitely open to suggestions on how this could be worked better.

I don't think there is a way to combat donut claims besides the devs issuing a statement that it isn't permitted and even then I'd still work around it.
If the side effects are applied when a stolen item is within the bounds of a claim then it will be abused by raiders.
Paradoxyc wrote:#2: One of the proposals to this was to speed up the TBF on a stolen item claim by 50% (only if you have the evidence of course). Also open to more suggestions on this.

The p claim plot gets surrounded by the town bell so there will be no way for the game to know whether these "side effects" should be applied or not.
Paradoxyc wrote:#3: I think that's a valid point seeing as it would be easier to break in and summon with the new updates. Although I'm not too sure I take issue with it since the update will kind of push towards raider outposts and it's possible that the claim doesn't have to be located where a character's homestead is. It would likely be a vault of some sort either within a town claim or separate entirely.

No, it would not be easier to break in to summon with the new updates compared to TbC and I don't think anyone wants a system where it would be easier.

Definitely.
pistolshrimp wrote:In that same line of thought did anyone really use poop claims?

Yes, poop claims and the systems that came with it were all really great additions to the game, unfortunately its success was dependent on a series of other implementations being done right.
pistolshrimp wrote:Do you mind elaborating on what is wrong with TbCs right now?

- Criminal characters can be killed from up to 1k tiles away from their base.
- Minimum time required to summon someone is 4 hours, the evidence exist for 14 or 16 days which means that over a 14-16 day period criminal characters can be killed in a 4 hour period.
- Everytime I want to murder someone I need to 1) create a new murder alt to port at the scene or 2) walk a murder alt to the scene.
- Encourages alts for everything, prior to TbC it was the norm to have 1 or 2 characters.
Now, the norm is stone wall basher, plank wall basher, brick wall basher, steel basher, multiple fighters, murder alts, main crafter.

pistolshrimp wrote:Is there any functionallity that you would like to keep about Trail By Combats

Only thing I'd keep is locking criminals to their leanto
AmmaBoss wrote: this mechanic single-handedly killed the game

Yup
Riolic wrote:The only reason raids still happen is because Goodman is a stubborn *******.
The rest are just vets pk'ing newbs
Goodman12

Postby reeper_aut » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:45 pm

only players using poop claim i know of were kuku and heff, moving their towns out of top 10 town list.
maybe darworth used it too, i don't know for sure.

thing is, you can single out a boundry of any town, donought it and build the poop claim basically out of reach of the "defender".
there should be some mechanic that checks if a boundry is still connected to the bell
reeper_aut

Postby Goodman12 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:23 pm

reeper_aut wrote:only players using poop claim i know of were kuku and heff, moving their towns out of top 10 town list.
maybe darworth used it too, i don't know for sure.

thing is, you can single out a boundry of any town, donought it and build the poop claim basically out of reach of the "defender".
there should be some mechanic that checks if a boundry is still connected to the bell

You can:
Defend your boundary stones
Break in and bash it yourself if they happen to surround it.

There were events in salem that started with a poop claim being placed on someone's town
Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E032Py8 ... u&index=44

The top 10 top list and poop claims were pretty good ideas, but like I said, it was dependent on certain things being done right and certain conditions being met.
Example:
There aren't much players to initiate poop claim attacks because the PvP aspect of salem is ****
Poor management of the economy(Silver isn't worth ****):
- JC implemented forgery but failed to fix a known alloying bug for months, which lead to a lot of silver being pumped into the economy.
- Everyone on the server and their mom had a ton of cotton fields which yielded the same effect
- There weren't enough ways to suck silver out of the economy
Riolic wrote:The only reason raids still happen is because Goodman is a stubborn *******.
Goodman12

Postby pistolshrimp » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:56 pm

Goodman12 wrote:Poor management of the economy(Silver isn't worth ****):
- JC implemented forgery but failed to fix a known alloying bug for months, which lead to a lot of silver being pumped into the economy.
- Everyone on the server and their mom had a ton of cotton fields which yielded the same effect
- There weren't enough ways to suck silver out of the economy

Here is something I 100% agree with. Even as a carebear if you don't opt into being a collector, infinitely raising your scalp score, or making perfectly slotted production gear there isn't really any thing to spend your silver on. Even as a bad player, I'd rather give away stuff than sell it most of the time, because it feels more of a hassle to sell anything for less than 1000+ silver.
pistolshrimp

Postby reeper_aut » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:56 am

Goodman12 wrote:Poor management of the economy(Silver isn't worth ****):

i don't know any mmo where the ingame currency is worth anything. be it diablo, ultima, etc.
the "feature" of merchants bringing lots of money to the server is also an old one
reeper_aut

Postby Goodman12 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:12 pm

reeper_aut wrote:i don't know any mmo where the ingame currency is worth anything. be it diablo, ultima, etc.

So? It was fine on salem until JC allowed it to go to ****.
Goodman12

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations