Fleshing Out Sleep Mechanics

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Fleshing Out Sleep Mechanics

Postby Paradoxyc » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:49 am

Dallane wrote:
pistolshrimp wrote:I appreciate the feedback.

Dallane wrote:too much weird things make this a odd concept.

You're not wrong...

Dallane wrote:The sugar and spice for example.

I think the rhyme goes, "Sugar and spice and everything nice." It seems like opposite of Perennial Knowledge and an easy to level stat for new players.

Dallane wrote:The madness system is extremely easy to understand and even easier to maintain from just playing the game.

I may just be an idiot, which often turns out to be the case, but it felt like while reducing insanity seems relatively straight forward, reducing madness levels are not given that getting enough influence to get into the Den or killing a bear are not simple tasks to players just learning the game. It is not explained in the tutorial and even the Teddybear's tooltip doesn't mention madness. The point of the system would not be to replace current methods of reducing madness but to give new players a taste of it going up and down so they last long enough (without getting discouraged) to look it up or ask about it.

Dallane wrote:Why is there no negative effect for having a nightmare? Just like in most lovecraft stories characters will have disturbing dreams that will effect them negatively in the stories.

Okay you're right on this one, I didn't want to punish people too hard here, but there is definitely room to expand.

I think it's a good idea to have a good dream or nightmare but shouldn't force people to invest in skills. Just have it set as a rare event like we have in the wilderness. It could open towns up to have their own system of random events.

Freezing blows and prolly needs relooked at. Devs will counter and say that making clothing will fix the players problem.

I think creating clothing could be a good addition to the tutorial, as well as more info on freezing mechanics because I think it does turn new players away, faster. I’m all for tears but it sucks seeing posts about frozen characters from players who haven’t figured out how to craft a whittling bench yet
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby Taipion » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Paradoxyc wrote:
Dallane wrote:
pistolshrimp wrote:I appreciate the feedback.

Dallane wrote:too much weird things make this a odd concept.

You're not wrong...

Dallane wrote:The sugar and spice for example.

I think the rhyme goes, "Sugar and spice and everything nice." It seems like opposite of Perennial Knowledge and an easy to level stat for new players.

Dallane wrote:The madness system is extremely easy to understand and even easier to maintain from just playing the game.

I may just be an idiot, which often turns out to be the case, but it felt like while reducing insanity seems relatively straight forward, reducing madness levels are not given that getting enough influence to get into the Den or killing a bear are not simple tasks to players just learning the game. It is not explained in the tutorial and even the Teddybear's tooltip doesn't mention madness. The point of the system would not be to replace current methods of reducing madness but to give new players a taste of it going up and down so they last long enough (without getting discouraged) to look it up or ask about it.

Dallane wrote:Why is there no negative effect for having a nightmare? Just like in most lovecraft stories characters will have disturbing dreams that will effect them negatively in the stories.

Okay you're right on this one, I didn't want to punish people too hard here, but there is definitely room to expand.

I think it's a good idea to have a good dream or nightmare but shouldn't force people to invest in skills. Just have it set as a rare event like we have in the wilderness. It could open towns up to have their own system of random events.

Freezing blows and prolly needs relooked at. Devs will counter and say that making clothing will fix the players problem.

I think creating clothing could be a good addition to the tutorial, as well as more info on freezing mechanics because I think it does turn new players away, faster. I’m all for tears but it sucks seeing posts about frozen characters from players who haven’t figured out how to craft a whittling bench yet

So if we hold the new players hands a bit more, does that mean the game needs more incentive to lure somewhat new players into darkness and have them perma-killed by darkness mobs?
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Worm » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:50 pm

Taipion wrote:So if we hold the new players hands a bit more, does that mean the game needs more incentive to lure somewhat new players into darkness and have them perma-killed by darkness mobs?

That is honestly a dumb perception.

New players are very unlikely to wander around that much from where they started, until one keeps wandering far west, ignores spooky popup warning and keeps fighting off the drain, then the fault is on their side.

Game is hard, comparing it to many other games, but that doesn't mean the learning curve should be a brick wall. Considering that the graphics and tutorial are enough to throw out the majority, freezing is the kick in the nutsack for those who managed to go past these two things. Adding more mechanics that aren't pain in the bottoms -- or help newbs -- will keep players with something fresh and not frustrated, no clue why there is such a pushback against ideas that genuinely could add the flavor to the game.
Worm

Postby Taipion » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:22 pm

Oh come on how could you have taken that sentence seriously? :roll:
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations