Open GL issue

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Open GL issue

Postby saffgee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:39 pm

When I fire up Salem, I get multiple Open GL error messages (I can bypass these), but the graphics are glitchy in game and eventually get jerky and the client crashes.

Now, as I run windows 10 it seems Microsoft in their wisdom have probably updated support for the game away as it was written on older GL tech - by my reckoning Open GL 4.6 no longer supports 2.0 under windows 10. Does anyone know of similar issues and how were they solved ? Before you ask, I have updated every driver under the sun and even spent money on a driver deep dive program to manually check each individual driver. The above is the only explanation I can come up with that rings true on the problem and its a fairly well known issue on other games (eg. Minecraft) as well. Is there a reliable way to circumvent the problem or regress my Open GL driver back to support 2.0 without messing with everything else on my system ?
saffgee
Customer

Re: Open GL issue

Postby belgear » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:37 pm

This was happening to me until I switched to Taipion's client. Dunno why that made the difference
maybe due to .jar instead of jnlp?
belgear
Customer

Postby saffgee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks - I'll try that for starters...
saffgee
Customer

Postby saffgee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:08 pm

That doesn't work either - anyone else have any issues with this ?
saffgee
Customer

Postby pistolshrimp » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:28 pm

Perhaps you fall into this situation:

Potential Problems with OpenGL
A serious issue can arise if the drivers you need to install on your device simply are not compatible with your device’s hardware. That can usually happen if you are using an old device.

For instance, Windows users who have an NVIDIA GPU and who want to use applications or video games that require OpenGL 4.6 won’t be able to do that if they are running a 32-bit operating system. That’s because the 397.31 NVIDIA GeForce drivers no longer offer support for 32-bit operating systems.

If you are in that situation, and cannot install a 64-bit operating system on your device, the only way you would be able to run the application or video game in question would be to change your hardware. Switching to an AMD GPU would work, as the latest AMD drivers still offer support for 32-bit systems.

Of course, there is another thing you could try, though we can’t say how “realistic” it is. Basically, you would have to contact the developer(s) of the app or video game, and ask them to have the app or game ask for a lower OpenGL version in an update (provided that is doable, naturally).

What are your OS and graphics card details?
Are their any error codes with the opengl exceptions?
pistolshrimp

Postby saffgee » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:02 am

Windows 10 and its a Geforce 1060 - my rig is pretty good (and fairly new), so I don't think its that. Strangely it does say it can't find the Intel (rather than nvidia) open GL ES drivers though, so maybe that's a clue ? no codes though
saffgee
Customer

Postby pistolshrimp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:58 pm

saffgee wrote:Windows 10 and its a Geforce 1060 - my rig is pretty good (and fairly new)

Actually I think the issue they were describing was that computers are too good for OpenGL. Is you windows 32 or 64?
pistolshrimp

Postby saffgee » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:19 pm

64...because its twice as much as 32 so it must be far better ¦] Although I gather in this case not then ?
saffgee
Customer

Postby pistolshrimp » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:18 am

So looking around online seems to indicate that it's probably an issue of a 32 bit program running on a 64 bit system.

I would try two things. First I would manually re-install the latest intel drivers from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers. Which you have probably already done.

Then I would make sure that you have a 32bit version of java installed.

pistolshrimp

Postby saffgee » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:01 am

Tks - I will try this, but it remains to be seen if I'm able to revert back to 32bit java. May need to wipe and redo.
saffgee
Customer

Return to Artifice & Arcana