Salem store vs Hafen store which does it better?

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Salem store vs Hafen store which does it better?

Postby Try∞ » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:05 pm

I have been playing a bit of both and noticed that the same devs created both games. But looking at the stores Hafen is more cosmetic based mainly on hats which would be kinda boring if not for those moviing/alive hats. While on the other hand we got Salem which sells in game currency, starter packs to be ahead of other players which is kinda pay to win and hard to get resources which is mainly pay to win if you can't be bothered to spend a lot of time to get those silver coins (in game currency).
But now the question which would be more profitable and which one is more fair on the players?
Try∞

Re: Salem store vs Hafen store which does it better?

Postby Paradoxyc » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:13 pm

The Salem store is pay to win
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby gorniksam » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:28 pm

salem
gorniksam

Postby Taipion » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:46 pm

On provi, the store stuff may ease your start but is not p2w for sure.
On expeditions only they should actually remove some of the stuff as there it is quite heavy p2w due to the circumstances.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Dallane » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:24 am

Taipion wrote:On provi, the store stuff may ease your start but is not p2w for sure.
On expeditions only they should actually remove some of the stuff as there it is quite heavy p2w due to the circumstances.

Not using store items is a fairly large disadvantage in the long run.

OP both systems are cool. The hats in haven are nice because they are there forever and always changing. They are very inexpensive for supporting a game.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Judaism » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:44 am

Salem store is most certainly ''pay-to-win'' in expeditions and early game. Other than that I would like to mention that the previous store was created by the same developers. Most of the current additions are from the developers from MM. Turned out that they created a need for many particular items which sped up your progress (saws/gardening tools, scarecrows etc). Prior to that, the store was a lot less pay to win/pay for convenience.

I assume that Salem's store was fairly profitable back when the new devs just took over. Considering that we had so many whales who had spend thousands of dollars each quarter and that lasted for quite a while. As it stands now, I actually do not think there is a lot store traffic. The recent prices have shown that we have an insane inflation regarding some store-items, despite so much of it is being released by old fortifications and ancient towns which ran out of upkeep.

But I think generally the ''pay-to-win'' is more profitable, but it goes hand in hand with the state of the game. A keen example is for example how WoW (subscription based) is yielding far less than BDO (Pay to win & pay to play) while having a far larger playerbase. If WoW had pay to win in its prime, then it likely would had been able to make so much more profit (although a lot of people started wow due to its subscription-based). Once the hype dies and the whales see no point in spending much money into the game anymore, the game slowly dies as well. Subscription based and free to play games are games meant for the longer term I suppose, where the developers do not look for a quick cash-grab.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby gorniksam » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:06 am

Judaism wrote:Salem store is most certainly ''pay-to-win'' in expeditions and early game. Other than that I would like to mention that the previous store was created by the same developers. Most of the current additions are from the developers from MM. Turned out that they created a need for many particular items which sped up your progress (saws/gardening tools, scarecrows etc). Prior to that, the store was a lot less pay to win/pay for convenience.

I assume that Salem's store was fairly profitable back when the new devs just took over. Considering that we had so many whales who had spend thousands of dollars each quarter and that lasted for quite a while. As it stands now, I actually do not think there is a lot store traffic. The recent prices have shown that we have an insane inflation regarding some store-items, despite so much of it is being released by old fortifications and ancient towns which ran out of upkeep.

But I think generally the ''pay-to-win'' is more profitable, but it goes hand in hand with the state of the game. A keen example is for example how WoW (subscription based) is yielding far less than BDO (Pay to win & pay to play) while having a far larger playerbase. If WoW had pay to win in its prime, then it likely would had been able to make so much more profit (although a lot of people started wow due to its subscription-based). Once the hype dies and the whales see no point in spending much money into the game anymore, the game slowly dies as well. Subscription based and free to play games are games meant for the longer term I suppose, where the developers do not look for a quick cash-grab.

u mad but sexy
gorniksam

Postby Paradoxyc » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:39 am

Just to clarify, "In some games, players who are willing to pay for special items or downloadable content may be able to gain a significant advantage over those playing for free who, for example, would otherwise need to spend time progressing in order to unlock said items. Such games are called "pay-to-win" or "p2w" by critics".

Not saying it's the worst thing in the world. If you're good enough, you can raid for the items, steal them from lesser protected bases/chars, or just use certificates from murder scalps to buy the items. But yeah, any game that allows you to directly purchase items which are tradeable and/or give a relatively unfair advantage against those that did not purchase those items, is inherently P2W.
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby colesie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:32 pm

Haven is more fair and profitable :thonk:
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby Dallane » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:06 pm

NECRO REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Next

Return to City upon a Hill