Patch 2.2.6 - (Under)Taking Stock

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Patch 2.2.6 - (Under)Taking Stock

Postby MarpTarpton » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:06 am

Greetings Pilgrims,

Despite the Hallowe'en content of the last patch, I wanted to squeak one out that has more core issues and a few nice things as well.

Marp Giveth

- Sifting is now an automatic process. Just do it.
- Increased drop rate of black sand.
- Stones can now be added into Stockbins.
- Sand can now be added into Stockbins.
- New Pack in the Cash Shop - Undertaker Pack. Snazzy look and a shovel that packs a punch.

Marp Taketh Away

- Increased rubble weight.
- Adjusted limit of P-Claims to stock a maximum of 2 months worth of silver. (Currently if you had more than 2 months' worth inside your pclaim prior to this patch, it will hold this amount without allowing for any extra to be added until within the new threshhold. I intend to deal with this overage as soon as I can to balance the current playing field, but for the time being, I wanted to cap it before any more could be added while I continue to dabble. Further adjustments are in the works.)
- Removed LL buff from being added to P-Claims and V-Claims. (I'll find a new purpose for LL, one that ideally doesn't so negatively impact the silver economy and game balance. I'm also open to adding it back in a diminished capacity. It is on the docket to be better hashed out.)

Bug Fixes:

- Crops SHOULD now always graphically update when their speed is fertilized through the roof WITHOUT you needing to add that one extra piece of fertilizer.

What's Next?:

- Delicious Beverages
- Raiding
- PVP Engagements
- IDK, puffer fish or something?

As always, thanks for your feedback up to this point. I'm not 100% sure on how I'll handle the P-Claim overages, but I'll try to settle on something fair. In the meantime, please do me the honor of considering lending your support to the patch with a lovely Gnome Hat, complete with foresty frills and shroomy delights, which can be found in the Cash Shop. Stay safe in the Lumberwoods :)
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
MarpTarpton
Site Admin

Re: Patch 2.2.6 - (Under)Taking Stock

Postby elidmw » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:57 am

Nice sifting change!

About claims - for a casual player like me, H&H system feels fair. Personal claim gives less protection, but it's cheap and lasts long. If you return once a month and grind for a bit, your claim is fine. Village claim protects better but lasts shorter, and costs are okay if your area is small. I can't play Salem actively now as I don't want to regularly spend hours for some boring silver-giving route, and without that I can't have village claim => can't keep valuable within my farm (raider just builds a village above my claim and loots effortlessly) => have less reasons for casual but regular activity

Someone would say I should join village then but I just like hermit gameplay...
elidmw

Postby Ronch » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:35 pm

elidmw wrote:Nice sifting change!

About claims - for a casual player like me, H&H system feels fair. Personal claim gives less protection, but it's cheap and lasts long. If you return once a month and grind for a bit, your claim is fine. Village claim protects better but lasts shorter, and costs are okay if your area is small. I can't play Salem actively now as I don't want to regularly spend hours for some boring silver-giving route, and without that I can't have village claim => can't keep valuable within my farm (raider just builds a village above my claim and loots effortlessly) => have less reasons for casual but regular activity

Someone would say I should join village then but I just like hermit gameplay...

I'm not sure if you knew this, but:
Small to moderate sized Town claims are not that expensive to maintain with silver, after the initial bell purchase and materials are acquired.

Also, the land size per tile is actually cheaper under a Townclaim than they are under a Pclaim.
So if you can spend maybe 60% more silver than your current Pclaim cost, then you can afford to cover your Pclaim with a Townclaim and maintain them both. (which is ideal for defense in Salem)
But that may change soon as Marp is tinkering up ideas currently to adjust Pclaims.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby NordErdTod » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:12 pm

Praise the patches!
NordErdTod

Postby Nsuidara » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:21 pm

I just don't like 100% removed L&L bonus for upkeep, but ok...
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby elidmw » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:48 pm

Ronch wrote:I'm not sure if you knew this, but:
Small to moderate sized Town claims are not that expensive to maintain with silver, after the initial bell purchase and materials are acquired.

Also, the land size per tile is actually cheaper under a Townclaim than they are under a Pclaim.
So if you can spend maybe 60% more silver than your current Pclaim cost, then you can afford to cover your Pclaim with a Townclaim and maintain them both. (which is ideal for defense in Salem)
But that may change soon as Marp is tinkering up ideas currently to adjust Pclaims.

Yeah, I personally know and can afford it for now. For me the decision is whether I want to spend two hours for 1 month upkeep in Salem or for something more fun in similar games (Haven as the closest, or Mist Legacy as the newest). Another question is whether Marp targets core audience which can get much silver within a short period of time or wants to adjust the game to bring in some new/casual players with less patience and experience...
elidmw

Postby riker88 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:02 am

I agree with elidmw, it's incredibly annoying to login one day and see a village claim was built overtaking your p-claim, they loot your base , destroy your claim, and trap you inside your own base. Then the next time your login you die of madness because you can't move. I think if your claim is destroyed you should be given the option to spawn in Town, instead of where u logged out.

Also, I don't think village claims should be able to take over a P-claim that has been there for months.. I know in H&H the Village must be at least 90% as old as the p-claim, that seems like a good policy to have here as well.

I know a Village claim can be built to overcome this, but a village claim is expensive for many hermits to get, also the way the system is now P-claims are kinda useless for protection.

RAIDING : Build a Townbell, loot the P-claim like crazy without repercussions, then salvage your town bell and move on, is that really how raiding is going to work in Salem?
riker88
Customer

Postby Ronch » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:46 am

riker88 wrote:I agree with elidmw, it's incredibly annoying to login one day and see a village claim was built overtaking your p-claim, they loot your base , destroy your claim, and trap you inside your own base. Then the next time your login you die of madness because you can't move. I think if your claim is destroyed you should be given the option to spawn in Town, instead of where u logged out.

Also, I don't think village claims should be able to take over a P-claim that has been there for months.. I know in H&H the Village must be at least 90% as old as the p-claim, that seems like a good policy to have here as well.

I know a Village claim can be built to overcome this, but a village claim is expensive for many hermits to get, also the way the system is now P-claims are kinda useless for protection.

RAIDING : Build a Townbell, loot the P-claim like crazy without repercussions, then salvage your town bell and move on, is that really how raiding is going to work in Salem?

Good points, and elidmw made good points too imo.
I wont comment on that part of it yet tho because Marp is actually working on those adjustments to Salem as we speak.

So far his adjustments to the game are very survivable for all players, and he is constantly asking for public feedback on his decision process prior to going forward with his plans one step at a time.

However, I will comment on being overtaken quick and decisively in Salem by 'eminent domain' <--(someone else Vclaim), I have been playing Salem for 6 yrs now, or close to that amount of time, non stop.
And most if not all of the players or groups in Salem who are set up with enough resources to eminent domain someone's personal claim have only done that to either an existing enemy who is equally matched in skills and numbers, or they have did it to nuisance or trolling players.
Never just to grieve a new or weaker player, well unless that new or weaker player is extremely naïve and displays juicy targets of wealth inside his or her base.
...But I do understand that perception and the weariness it can cause.
I am a hermit/solo player in Salem and I had that perception of Salem too for the first few years of playing it, until I got familiar with the personalities and politics of Salem's power-players <---the ones who actually can destroy another player's world in Salem in one or two short days.

What I mean is, the situation that you both describe as one reasons to avoid playing Salem, well it/they don't really exist in Salem, although it/they can and do happen, it/they only happen in small and metered (but deserving) doses.
#belive it or not.
Ronch

Postby elidmw » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:39 pm

Ronch wrote:new or weaker player is extremely naïve and displays juicy targets of wealth inside his or her base

That used to be a big portion of new population back in holy Plymouth times... :P

Times when you received a message "pay tax to the Chief or get destroyed"... That's how I made my first year-long break from Salem. And the quote above was the reason for my second long break... Just two Poles returned from a break, found their claim looted, travelled a bit and claimed my land with eminent domain because "we just had to live somewhere!"
elidmw

Postby Ronch » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:19 pm

elidmw wrote:
Ronch wrote:new or weaker player is extremely naïve and displays juicy targets of wealth inside his or her base

That used to be a big portion of new population back in holy Plymouth times... :P

Times when you received a message "pay tax to the Chief or get destroyed"... That's how I made my first year-long break from Salem. And the quote above was the reason for my second long break... Just two Poles returned from a break, found their claim looted, travelled a bit and claimed my land with eminent domain because "we just had to live somewhere!"

Yeah Plymouth was before my time.
But there are still a few players or groups who post signs like that in Salem lol, not as common now tho. Tbh, stories like that makes Salem all the more enjoyable for me.
It took me over 5 years to become even slightly familiar with Salem's PvP and raiding features.

There are more than a few players in Salem who do not even pick up any of the PvP related skill, and they not only just get by in Salem but they thrive in it.
Although I have picked up PvP skills, I'm still basically a solo PvE player and am still having a blast playing the game.
The game's current and growing community is very unique which makes the game a lot more fun too.
Ronch

Next

Return to Announcements