Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:50 am

In all seriousness... if animal spawns are too high we will consider reducing them. We do feel it is the point of the beta to fine tune things such as this.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby jesi » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:14 am

JohnCarver wrote:
jesi wrote: Frankly, it seems very "American," meaning excessive consumption and great quantities of waste.

Working as intended then.

I appreciate your humor and your responsiveness.

However, Salem is supposed to be survival in the new world, not 1980's California, or even 19th century buffalo hunters. I doubt the Pilgrms lost their sense of frugality the minute they landed.
aptson wrote:
when i make posts on the forums i expect people to spell it out for me because i am new . .
jesi

Postby Thor » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:42 am

jesi wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:
jesi wrote: Frankly, it seems very "American," meaning excessive consumption and great quantities of waste.

Working as intended then.

I appreciate your humor and your responsiveness.

However, Salem is supposed to be survival in the new world, not 1980's California, or even 19th century buffalo hunters. I doubt the Pilgrms lost their sense of frugality the minute they landed.

Nah, they were just "let's rape this land and kill all indians".
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby RonPaulFTW » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:14 pm

JohnCarver wrote:In all seriousness... if animal spawns are too high we will consider reducing them. We do feel it is the point of the beta to fine tune things such as this.

It's not the quantity of the spawns - it's the fact that we have an incentive to spam slaughter bc all we need are deer hooves or rare turkeys etc.... In every aspect of the game we are spamming to look for needles in a haystack bc all we need now are the rare drops.

Maybe in your grand vision for the game this will balance out after the updates are completed and we all start over from scratch - but right now it looks as Jesi and I are describing.
RonPaulFTW

Postby Feone » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:35 pm

RonPaulFTW wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:In all seriousness... if animal spawns are too high we will consider reducing them. We do feel it is the point of the beta to fine tune things such as this.

It's not the quantity of the spawns - it's the fact that we have an incentive to spam slaughter bc all we need are deer hooves or rare turkeys etc.... In every aspect of the game we are spamming to look for needles in a haystack bc all we need now are the rare drops.

Maybe in your grand vision for the game this will balance out after the updates are completed and we all start over from scratch - but right now it looks as Jesi and I are describing.

I agree with this, getting rare drops can be nice but I'd much prefer if there was a (more) reliable recipe or way to acquire one as well, something that doesn't force us to waste large amounts of stuff.

A skill (Maybe Taxidermy) that lets us use additional recourses + the animal corpse to create a rare? Or maybe just destroy the corpse in an attempt to create the rare at higher percentage success.
Feone

Postby user00 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:08 pm

RonPaulFTW wrote:

A wipe?
user00

Postby Feone » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:47 pm

user00 wrote:A wipe?

I think there's a wipe expected when the game leaves the beta.

Which definitely won't be any time soon. (Next year, if not later.)
Feone

Postby Kandarim » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:47 pm

there was a wipe after we left closed beta, and another one after the big gluttony change. I'm unsure what the stance of the new devs is, but the original visions were that salem is supposed to be a game where wipes happen very rarely, if at all (and then only for introducing completely new systems like the last glutton change).
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Procne » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:50 pm

I wouldn't expect any wipe just because we "leave beta". There would be one only if some new mechanics required it and there was no other way around it. You could, however, expect a new server if population increases.
Procne

Postby Feone » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:52 pm

Procne wrote:I wouldn't expect any wipe just because we "leave beta". There would be one only if some new mechanics required it and there was no other way around it. You could, however, expect a new server if population increases.

True, a wipe upon release wouldn't surprise me though. The beta is expected to have lots of tweaks and changes while it's active which might just mean a fresh start is needed to get rid of problematic legacy issues etc. In any case, afaik the new devs have not announced any wipe specifically and I'm definitely not expecting one any time soon.
Feone

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements