Game Development: Under Pressure

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Under Pressure

Postby BubbaMKII » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Dallane wrote:>2013
>People have no idea wtf beta is.

>2013
>everyone and their dogs that develop a game hide behind "beta" to do just about anything they like.

Someone mentioned WoW, that actually improved from the changes made.
The gameplay got better, it was more fun and more balanced.
I had a good look at all the food, gluttony values, etc and this is very far from balanced.
Having said all this, i signed up about a month ago for open beta, so no, it's not a full released game yet.
Then again, you can't hide behind "being in beta" to change major stuff.
You need to have all that established in alpha and closed beta, open beta is for tweaking and expanding.

If only gamers would say "***** you!" to developers and not play their games (this can be taken two ways) then all this nonsense would soon be over.
But, nope, they just sit there and give praise to the "gods" that create the games.
Games, which i said above, are made by everyone and their dogs these days. (everything is f2p with a cash shop these days, i wonder why)
It's not the 90's anymore, developers should get over themselves, do what they're paid for and stfu, like anyone with a job.
Try pulling this **** in another job, you wouldn't last a week.
BubbaMKII

Postby Dallane » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:21 pm

BubbaMKII wrote:
Dallane wrote:>2013
>People have no idea wtf beta is.

I have no idea wtf im talking about

Yes this is true.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:45 pm

darnokpl wrote:
Dallane wrote:Say what you will but its still beta. get over it.

It is beta by name only, content and mechanic are at alpha state. Balancing, nerfing, some other small changes are ok even after 1.0 release, but redesigning basic game mechanic is very rare in beta it happens mostly in alpha and we are still before mining redesign (I hope) and before witchcrafting (basic game feature?).

+1
tweenprinc3ss

Postby Wournos » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:22 pm

I don't know about everyone else but I have actually taken advantage of the mishap that is the elemental change in Roanoke resources (instead of whining (too much)). If the alchemical elements are reverted back tomorrow my Farmer self will go slightly booo while my mining self will give the thumbs up. If it stays... well, you can guess what.
Now I just need humus of the right type to go with the pots. *strokes imaginary goatee*
Reminder to self: Patience is a virtue.
If Apple blocks Java on Mac: delete
Wournos

Postby ysbryd » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:29 pm

Beware the ides of... uh... thursday..
Tomorrow all your dreams could be as turkey poop in the dust.
Mwahahahahaha*coffsplutter*ahahaha *twirls moustache evilly
Is terminally confused and her head hurts
ysbryd

Postby Wournos » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:32 pm

"Expect the unexpected".
Does that mean we should expect something that is fun and actually works - without bugs and malfunctions?
Wournos

Postby Viackura » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:58 pm

I heard they are planning to make it so the purity nodes switch every once in a while
Viackura

Postby thl111 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:13 pm

Or the change of mining system. Anyway, I'd rather stay put and wait. No point in increasing purity during these troubled times.
We make sword stone for keeper and pull they do it and excalibur come out. have no make stone to for sword we make sword box for sword to put sword in for sword. -Moniker (Anarchy online)
thl111

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Wournos wrote:"Expect the unexpected".
Does that mean we should expect something that is fun and actually works - without bugs and malfunctions?

If you were playing on a live server instead of a test server with weekly patches? Yes, I'd say that would be more than reasonable, it'd be expected if the game wants to stay in business. If there were a large development team with a strong internal testing division? I'd even expect this on the test servers with some allowances for unforeseen issues or balance problems, which is what test servers for live games are used for. However, Salem is neither live nor does it have a large development team.

One must always check expectations with the reality of what can and can't be. There's a fairly well-known phrase among software developers: "Pick two: 'fast, cheap, bug free.'" (I've probably screwed it up trying to make it short.) The reality is the last choice, bug free, really isn't an option for anyone in modern development. Programs are just too large, so you just have fast or cheap. Unfortunately, since this is an unproven game in an unproven genre (commercially, anyway), you only have one option: cheap. This is why so many non-WoW clone MMOs are indie titles that in reality are little more than graphical MUDs. Praise be to Paradox for having vision to try and break the mold!!
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Wournos » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:24 pm

^ Oh how you lack a sense of humour. ;)
Was it my lack of smileys that caused it?
Wournos

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements