Game Development: Rooting thy Native Oak

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Rooting thy Native Oak

Postby Procne » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:56 pm

imrielle wrote:
Sevenless wrote:If you've played haven you woulda seen this coming. Tree planting is far more effort intensive than abusing nature's starting stock. This goes hand in hand with treeplanting offering more rewards (in haven anyway, I'm certain they'll be giving it some kind of benefit here or they wouldn't have made it take similar amounts of effort).

I can foresee a reward for this, anyway, even with water affecting purity - we should be able to slowly improve the purity of trees using high purity humus in garden pots. It works (incredibly slowly, for sure) with other potables like green peppers.

May not make a huge difference to players currently, but it would improve the lower level, easier to make Inspirationals like the Decorative Woodcarving and Simple Crucifix, and possibly affect food like Lumberjack Frikadel if the sharpened sticks are high purity. When (if?) we get Animal Husbandry, that would maybe go hand in hand with somehow raising the purity of food all around.

Devs already said that this method of treeplanting does not allow purity increase. You will only get 0% purity trees.
Procne

Postby imrielle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Procne wrote:Devs already said that this method of treeplanting does not allow purity increase. You will only get 0% purity trees.

Ahh, I missed that post. Thats a shame, really.
imrielle
Customer

Postby Glennfinnan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:01 pm

I think that what is going to happen first, we get all of the basic content, then the purity for all the industries [except for the farming and mining, which already has purity].
Glennfinnan

Postby Procne » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:07 pm

imrielle wrote:
Procne wrote:Devs already said that this method of treeplanting does not allow purity increase. You will only get 0% purity trees.

Ahh, I missed that post. Thats a shame, really.

It was said here:

loftar wrote:
Gallient wrote:Sooo... any chance it could be said if planted trees are able to have purity/alchemical adjustments?

No, not for cuttings. When we've got some reasonable alchemy mechanics to implement for it, we'll add actual planting from seeds as well, which will do that.
Procne

Postby badmp3 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:43 pm

harflimon wrote:
sabinati wrote:
how about you stop posting iterations of your bad idea

He's stuck in the bargaining phase of his grief. It took him awhile to get out of anger as well. Wonder how long his depression stage will last, gonna have another couple pages of butthurt to face if he doesn't keep it to himself.

I enjoy posts like this ..shows the quality of non debaters / group thinkers.

If claims are such a big problem, why dont they have Decay enabled from the start with out this new tax fuel..
badmp3

Postby ramuller » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:14 pm

badmp3 wrote:
harflimon wrote:
sabinati wrote:
how about you stop posting iterations of your bad idea

He's stuck in the bargaining phase of his grief. It took him awhile to get out of anger as well. Wonder how long his depression stage will last, gonna have another couple pages of butthurt to face if he doesn't keep it to himself.

I enjoy posts like this ..shows the quality of non debaters / group thinkers.

If claims are such a big problem, why dont they have Decay enabled from the start with out this new tax fuel..

There are other mechanisms for claim decay that they could have introduced. For instance we could be required to repair the claim stone periodically or it would eventually disappear on its own; however, that would be even more extreme than this upkeep system (where someone must choose to destroy the claim stone.

If you are asking why they waited this long to introduce the mechanism, you could also ask why, if tree planting was so important, why did they wait this long to introduce it? The game is under active development and features are being added all the time; after release is the time to ask why something important wasn't implemented yet (thus delaying "release").
Swordmage
ramuller

Postby Cawalox » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:25 pm

What if you dont pay the tax, claim is removed and everything is decaying slowly, can you reclaim your area by simply putting silver in the claim stone? And if thats the case can this be done by anyone or only by the owner?
Cawalox

Postby ramuller » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Cawalox wrote:What if you dont pay the tax, claim is removed and everything is decaying slowly, can you reclaim your area by simply putting silver in the claim stone? And if thats the case can this be done by anyone or only by the owner?

It sounds from what people have written that only the owner can add silver to the claim (with luck that will change), but this can apparently be done even after the claim is in arrears. If one wanted to take over a claim and save everything, it is "just" a matter of destroying the claim stone and dropping a new one and expanding it over the old claim area. This would be one way for a town to reassign an abandoned claim to a new character (slower than belling, but cheaper).
Swordmage
ramuller

Postby harflimon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:56 pm

badmp3 wrote:I enjoy posts like this ..shows the quality of non debaters / group thinkers.

Because that would be a ridiculous game design. In a grand sense it's the same thing as both in effect work at solving the same problem. But forcing players to constantly go to all their buildings/items and repair them is ***** stupid and tedious compared to implementing a simple tax system. Would you really rather have to constantly repair everything on your claim? If you say yes, you are a *****... seriously. The amount of tax that claims cost is so minimal I can make enough not even trying. Just pick up some Indian necklaces while you are out foraging. Or kill some crickets. Or anything, it's so god damn easy. You can feel like it's some prohibitively high amount, but as the vast majority of the "group thinkers" can attest to, if you can't make enough money it's your fault not the games'.

I don't understand why this is such a hard concept for you. Like twenty people have laid it out for you and you refuse to even recognize anything they say as legitimate, and just keep reiterating your same argument without adding any new insight into how it's a good idea to have claims be these permanent non-removable sections of land that anybody who plays for even a week can create. You continue to act like there is absolutely zero issue with such a mechanism in a persistent MMO that has a constant turnover of the playerbase. And that's why I didn't post directly to anything you've posted so far, because debating with you is an act of futility. You'll likely just make another strawman argument like this last one while not discussing the core issue. Your butthurt over this is at amazing levels. And I enjoy making snide comments at people like that. Deal.
harflimon

Postby badmp3 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:10 pm

harflimon wrote:Because that would be a ridiculous game design. In a grand sense it's the same thing as both in effect work at solving the same problem. But forcing players to constantly go to all their buildings/items and repair them is ***** stupid and tedious compared to implementing a simple tax system..

Ok, so have just the Claim Stone Decay = case solved

:lol:

Tic tac toe anyone?
badmp3

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements