Game Development: Rooting thy Native Oak

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Rooting thy Native Oak

Postby harflimon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:49 am

sabinati wrote:
how about you stop posting iterations of your bad idea

He's stuck in the bargaining phase of his grief. It took him awhile to get out of anger as well. Wonder how long his depression stage will last, gonna have another couple pages of butthurt to face if he doesn't keep it to himself.
harflimon

Postby G1real » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:54 am

Gallient wrote:So I just had 8 pots of cuttings finish, planted them right after server reset so like 2 days I guess. Out of the 8 pots, only 2 of them gave me trees to plant and my proficiencies are 43 NP, 145 SC, 44 FW. So.... I mean I could raise the other proficiencies but somehow I doubt that'll help much... my conclusion is tree planting is not a replacement for destroying the forest for a plank fence.

Which server had a reset? The last two added ones? I recalled being unable to access my own old character so I had assumed it was wiped. Now that I'm playing again I would love for nothing more than to start on a fresh server.
G1real

Postby Gallient » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:15 am

G1real wrote:
Gallient wrote:So I just had 8 pots of cuttings finish, planted them right after server reset so like 2 days I guess. Out of the 8 pots, only 2 of them gave me trees to plant and my proficiencies are 43 NP, 145 SC, 44 FW. So.... I mean I could raise the other proficiencies but somehow I doubt that'll help much... my conclusion is tree planting is not a replacement for destroying the forest for a plank fence.

Which server had a reset? The last two added ones? I recalled being unable to access my own old character so I had assumed it was wiped. Now that I'm playing again I would love for nothing more than to start on a fresh server.

I meant the restart to apply the patch.
Gallient

Postby G1real » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:21 am

Gallient wrote:I meant the restart to apply the patch.

O-oh :(
G1real

Postby Sevenless » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:52 am

If you've played haven you woulda seen this coming. Tree planting is far more effort intensive than abusing nature's starting stock. This goes hand in hand with treeplanting offering more rewards (in haven anyway, I'm certain they'll be giving it some kind of benefit here or they wouldn't have made it take similar amounts of effort).

Solution (for players now, hopefully this isn't a longterm solution or we have issues): Woodcutting alts + claims or leantos for teleportation. Mass cut lumber and shift it to boston then to home. Under the current system it doesn't matter who provides the raw output so it works just fine.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Glennfinnan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:39 pm

6 trees out of 6 pots, which is a 100% success rate, so maybe it's not that bad?
Glennfinnan

Postby Gallient » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Glennfinnan wrote:6 trees out of 6 pots, which is a 100% success rate, so maybe it's not that bad?

Well my next set of 18 pots, I got 7 trees. What are your proficiencies? Maybe luck or maybe proficiencies have a HUGE effect.
Gallient

Postby imrielle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:52 pm

Sevenless wrote:If you've played haven you woulda seen this coming. Tree planting is far more effort intensive than abusing nature's starting stock. This goes hand in hand with treeplanting offering more rewards (in haven anyway, I'm certain they'll be giving it some kind of benefit here or they wouldn't have made it take similar amounts of effort).

I can foresee a reward for this, anyway, even with water affecting purity - we should be able to slowly improve the purity of trees using high purity humus in garden pots. It works (incredibly slowly, for sure) with other potables like green peppers.

May not make a huge difference to players currently, but it would improve the lower level, easier to make Inspirationals like the Decorative Woodcarving and Simple Crucifix, and possibly affect food like Lumberjack Frikadel if the sharpened sticks are high purity. When (if?) we get Animal Husbandry, that would maybe go hand in hand with somehow raising the purity of food all around.
imrielle
Customer

Postby Procne » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:52 pm

I got 2 trees out of 7 pots. 46 NP and 100 SC
Procne

Postby Glennfinnan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:55 pm

Gallient wrote:
Glennfinnan wrote:6 trees out of 6 pots, which is a 100% success rate, so maybe it's not that bad?

Well my next set of 18 pots, I got 7 trees. What are your proficiencies? Maybe luck or maybe proficiencies have a HUGE effect.

Except for the F&W, which doesn't make a difference when planting, they're slightly better than your.

Also, even if the average success rate would be at 30-50% it still doesn't require much effort to re/grow your forest since it only takes 3 x humus, 1l of water.
You only need a decent amount of pots but that is done once and lasts x amount of time [untill somebody decides to destroy your pots, but who would destroy your pots...].

[^ taking into consideration you always success at striking a cutting from a tree, but as I never failed to do it, I don't account it as any difficulty]
Last edited by Glennfinnan on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glennfinnan

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements