Game Development: Criminally Thanksgiving

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Criminally Thanksgiving

Postby Dallane » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:20 am

but def seems like braziers are working alot better. also its not worth playing the criminal lifestyle unless you have 4+ guys
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby loftar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:56 am

That's weird, though. The braziers have been left completely untouched.
loftar

Postby colesie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:57 am

From everything that I've seen Darwoth is right, though ragey he may be
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby Mushibag » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:02 am

So here's my experience from further testing:

First we tried a little claim, with 1 wall and 5 braziers in range of the gate:

We double teamed the gate, and by the time it dropped, I had 32 black bile, down from 104 when I started. The other guy ran in and tried to take out a couple of braziers, but was unsuccessful, and also had to retreat. We didn't get a chance to see if there was anything in there worth taking, and left, figuring we'd just hit it again on the way back.

The second place had 2 walls, and 3 braziers in range of the gate.

Once again, we double teamed the gates, and I was able to take down 1 brazier while my cohort disposed of 2 more. A third guy ran in to check for loot. During my bashing of 2 gates and 1 brazier, I acquired 13 charges on the crime debuff, which was around 3 hours 45 minutes (at current rate). This dropped significantly as we moved away, and after about 20 minutes of walking it was down to ~15 minutes. This was when we passed the first place we'd hit, but didn't even bother sticking around to wait for it crime to wear off to check for loot, and just went home instead.

I think the changes are good, if they were indeed intended to completely take away incentive to raid even slightly defended bases, until we get siege weapons. But this leads me to believe that our fortress of lies is now completely impenetrable, and we actually have no need to even build the new walls at the moment. Obviously the whole crime + distance thing will be a lot more tolerable once we get some horses, but in it's current state, raiding is pretty much out of the question without at least 4-5 people with 100+ humours, and that's just to raid a little base with few defenses.

I'm not complaining or QQing, just sharing my experience.

P.S. Sorry about the quality of the screenshots, I forgot to take any, and got these from another guy.
Mushibag

Postby sabinati » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:11 am

Mushibag wrote:We double teamed the gate, and by the time it dropped, I had 32 black bile, down from 104 when I started. The other guy ran in and tried to take out a couple of braziers, but was unsuccessful, and also had to retreat. We didn't get a chance to see if there was anything in there worth taking, and left, figuring we'd just hit it again on the way back.

instead of bothering with taking out braziers, why didn't you just run in and grab **** and get out?
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Mushibag » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:19 am

sabinati wrote:instead of bothering with taking out braziers, why didn't you just run in and grab **** and get out?

Well, when there are containers like in the first example:
there is no way of knowing which ones to grab. I'd like to see you stand there looking through all of them with braziers shooting you.

And with the second example, we knew we would have to send in the 3rd guy to check for loot, and he has much lower humours, so we had to do something to allow him time to look around.
Mushibag

Postby Sevenless » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:01 am

Siege weapons will definitely make gate knocking... different. A lot depends on implementation.

Little thing I just thought of though: Split rail fences are so hilariously obsolete right now. As functional fences they're completely laughable, and they're not exactly cheap to make (relative to their utility I mean). I'd argue they're quite similar in resource intensity to stone hedges right now.

Might be worth making them cheaper considering raiders can rip through them like butter anyway. I'd think cutting the cost in half would make them worthwhile for making animal pens and the like when that update comes out.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Darwoth » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:10 am

finally someone else that actually plays the game and has also tested the changes chimes in, and amazingly says pretty much the exact same thing that i did. everyone (developers included) be sure to tell him he is just crying for 4 pages so as to continue the trend of making jackasses of yourselves.
Darwoth

Postby Shiala » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:16 am

Sevenless wrote:Siege weapons will definitely make gate knocking... different. A lot depends on implementation.

Little thing I just thought of though: Split rail fences are so hilariously obsolete right now. As functional fences they're completely laughable, and they're not exactly cheap to make (relative to their utility I mean). I'd argue they're quite similar in resource intensity to stone hedges right now.

Might be worth making them cheaper considering raiders can rip through them like butter anyway. I'd think cutting the cost in half would make them worthwhile for making animal pens and the like when that update comes out.

I agree with you about the material cost. I don't think it should take blocks and boards. Blocks and branches would be better. Another issue I have with the split rail fences, from a noob stand point, is the skill level required to make them. As someone who played H&H, I really expected them to be something I could build extremely early on just like the basic fence in H&H. Since its only real use is to keep critters and other total noobs out of your yard, you should be able to make them once you can build a leanto in my opinion.
Shiala

Postby colesie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:58 am

But no really, the new system stinks.

Here's an example:
A certain larper spammed 100 leantos onto our village claim not so long ago. Under the new system in order to destroy all of said leanto's using criminal acts the perp would be forced to idle online for like 20 hours or some ridiculous number. That is just not good gameplay when it comes to avoiding griefing. (Quick and easy griefing at that)

On top of this, if you drop down a p claim on the village claim to break the leantos without scents anyone can break auth objects on that p claim. Super cool, right? RIGHT?! So you are then forced to spend thousands of silver to make a p claim, break the leantos, and then drop the p claim. YAMIHAVINGSOMUCHFUN?

Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements