Posting Game Suggestions Everyday Til JC Acknowledges Salem

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Madness Overhaul / Professions - Part 2: Professions

Postby pistolshrimp » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:34 am

Day 15: Madness Overhaul / Professions - Part 2: Professions

What It Does: At level 5 the madness craving is always the same, but has several options as to how to meet it. The option you choose opts you into your Profession Path. The level 10 madness craving is like level 5, with several options to fulfill it. The option you choose will opt you into your Profession.

A note on the difference. There are Profession Paths and Professions simply for organization and expand-ability. I know this may make things more confusing but I would like to tie these Paths to Christianity's Cardinal Sins. This is purely for thematic reasons.
So the Pride Profession Path would unlock Artisan types Professions like Chef, the Jeweler, Blacksmith, Tailor, etc.
Lust would have Astronomer, Alchemist, Witch
Greed would have Merchant,
Wrath would have Huntsman, Dragoon, Weaponsmith
Envy would have Politician
Sloth would have Footpad
Gluttony ?
These are off the top of my head, but there is obviously room for more.

What is a Profession? Once the level 10 madness craving is met, it unlocks the that profession's skill which gives bonuses and builds and crafts only available through unlocking that skill.

The level 6-9 Madness cravings will be progressively harder be related to the Profession Path, meaning unlocking a profession requires a the player to work towards it. After reaching and meeting the level 10 madness craving you will get a new madness craving once a week, generally just the easier 1-5 ones, but with a few hard ones, and a few profession types mixed in, so maintaining your profession also requires an effort. If you fail to meet your craving you will lose your profession and reset to level 0 madness. This is a steep price, but the benefit is that it allows the player to explore a new profession relatively easy.

Why it's Good for Salem:
Thematically it feels right, to master a craft you have to be a little mad, but the real benefit is that it adds a lot of mid and late game content and lets players individualize their characters which adds a lot of diversity to Salem. The fact one player can only have a single profession at a time adds to economy and gives more reasons for players to make towns/work together.

I am also suggesting that the killing blow be attached to a couple of professions, rather than being a store bought item or a skill you can unlock normally. This is a small ways curbs murder alts as Killing Blow requires more effort to obtain, but nowhere near the degree learning Cain and Abel naturally does. Additionally you probably noticed Witchcraft is unlocked this through this system. I will talk more about witchcraft at a later date, but this would be different as you once Witchcraft is learned it would be permanent, and no other professions could be learned while that player is a witch.
pistolshrimp

Re: Posting Game Suggestions Everyday Til JC Acknowledges Sa

Postby pistolshrimp » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:20 am

Ronch wrote:If you want, I will dig up JC's quote about him stating he would be the happiest or most content with only about 50 players playing Salem.
Again, as much as some folks do not want to be reminded: this is JC's game.
I personally think that Salem is only to feed JC's salty-tear eating hobby, and not a source of needed income for him.

I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge something. JC and I are definitely going to disagree, and probably a lot.

As you have pointed out I am here to annoy JC. What I want is JC to tell me to shut up and publicly tell us what he wants with Salem, whether that Salem is dead or that he plans to come back eventually. I want us out of this weird limbo.

Yes ideally I would like him to make this game more appealing to modern gamers. I would love for this game to be actually popular, and profitable. And I am going to offer tons of suggestions that I feel with a bit of polishing could move the game in that direction. But I understand the reality is that JC may not want that. He might be happy with the game now and that 50 players is ideal, again I want him to say that now, today, tomorrow, soon. Not to have to dig up years old posts to get an idea about what the devs want. In the meantime I'm going to do what I'm doing in the hopes it sparks his interest or otherwise motivates him to clarify his plans.

As for the particulars of your response you seems to be a very analytical person which I respect, but it does mean we are going to disagree a lot. A lot of what I am talking about is the FEEL of things. The permission system is not BROKEN, but the FEEL of the system is. Unfortunately I can't offer much rebuttals to your points for this reason. You are technically correct in everything you say, but there is more to it than what you wrote as well.

I will briefly try to illustrate the FEEL another way. You can make a mistake that kills your character by attacking a wishpoosh and it murders you, you lose months of hard work, but you learn that maybe you should be more careful fighting that creature. You can not make proper defense and get raided and lose months of hard work, but you learn to make better defense, you give your friend the vandalism profession to cut a tree down and lose your base, what do you learn? You learn to not play with other players. Salem is a MMO, a survival one for sure, but if this game was solo I wouldn't be playing it. If an MMO is teaching you to be hard and avoid other players than I personally believe you have an issue.
pistolshrimp

Postby Ronch » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:01 am

I only disagree with two of your ideas so far: fix permissions, and alts.
Well your approach to get Salem breathing again too, which is what I want to communicate again now.

But, first I appreciate what you have done for Salem, I appreciate it a lot, as I'm sure JC does too, it just might take him longer to show that appreciation than most of us here expect.
....Also appreciate the time and skill you've spent to share with the community your mass mapping results.
Your efforts to help a number new players get established in the game.
Your time reaching out to research and update to expand Salem's wiki.
I also appreciate your perceptive and honest communication, and your persistence.

I am all for a larger active population playing Salem, and am all for making the initial learning curve for new players not so steep and or painful.
But, what I still suggest is to share input/feedback on the update plans that JC put forth first, then introduce what the we-players want, not the other way around.
ie:
Witch overhaul.
Personal mounts and beast of burden.
Gluttony, or the direct players want the gluttony system to go.
Thermal system tweaks.
A few others on that list too, that escape my memory.
....That is what I see as to what will trigger a (positive) response from JC, is that really what your goal here is, as you said: to get a response from JC ?
JC seems to be someone who #-walks away rather than someone who can be #-triggered by knee-jerk aggravation attempts.

Look, I like all of the ideas that you've shared here so far, my only exceptions are the "fix permissions" and your negative perception of "alt use" by players.
I'm not trying to stifle you from sharing your idea's here, just trying to share my perspective on the faults of your approach to get JC to respond and dialog with us again about his game's future.

Sure, I've introduced ideas about aspects of the game that JC has not indicated he plans to update too. But I am not trying to trigger a response from JC, I'm just trying to keep those ideas from sinking into the forums archives.
I'm positive that JC still reads these forums, and has no plans to abandon his game, ever.

I also have a strong intuition that when JC returns to takes his seat here again, it will be with a huge update.
(Possibly a wipe to accommodate the huge changes involved in two of those update/changes)
A huge update containing witch overhaul, thermal tweaks, gluttony system changes, and personal mounts.
....You know an update with all of the things that he said were his future plans for his game, that we have left little to no feedback on, but have only spewed mostly what we want from him rather than offer him his requested feedback on what he wants to change or update in his game first.
Last edited by Ronch on Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby pistolshrimp » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:27 am

Dear Mr. Carver,

I know you are obviously reading this thread intently and I'm finally starting to understand your emissary, Ronch's, point. It took me way longer than it should have, but I never claimed to be a smart man. I am, tho, a persistent man. The kind of guy who would put a crayon through a brick wall sheerly through doing the same thing over and over again, but also never think to ask myself should I do that in the first place. And that, John, is what this thread really is, me trying to put a crayon through a brick wall.

We are obviously going to have different ideas on the ideal Salem and lets face it, my opinion doesn't really matter, that's why I haven't taken this thread very seriously, but Ronch is right, there is room for me to take it MORE seriously. We can only guess at your thoughts here, but I'm starting to see that the best educated guess would be that while you are open to new ideas and ways to change the game, you are MOST interested is a few of topics which you have ALREADY expressed interest in and it would make sense to cover those ideas first.

Let me reassure you that I am trying to get to those things as quick as I can. As you are so eager to read my ideas let me clarify this point. The truth is if you we actually here, reading this thread, I would post my ideas much faster. I have a fair number written up, but you are not, and honestly I think it may take a considerable length of time for you to even notice, if you even do. For that reason these changes are broken up into smaller chunks which makes them easier for me to write, you to read, and allows me to write a bunch at once and post them as the days change. I tend to do things in fits and bursts so being able to have some written up ahead of time lets me get through my lulls. "Posting Every So Often Until JC Returns" just doesn't have the same ring to it. Additionally, and this was probably the thing that was making it so hard for me to understand Ronch's point, I assumed that if you had talked about something in the roadmap or posted that you were thinking about it then you already had ideas and a plan and that I would be stepping on your toes by making to detailed of a suggestion about it. I guess I was over-thinking it.

So if you will be patient, or tell me yourself to speed up, I will try to re-prioritize my posting to bring suggestions on the mechanics you already expressed interest in to the front.

I covered some stuff already on "Personal mounts and beast of burden," but for the reasons I mention about avoiding toe stepping I was relatively vauge here. I will elaborate on these.

"Thermal system tweaks" is something I have definitely covered, but I agree my changes are drastic, but I think this could be a really good change that allows you to do more of the things YOU have mentioned you wanted to do, mainly reducing grind, but also nerf trees, add spoilage and heat exhaustion.

Temperature will come up quite a bit more as I post more suggestions because I believe it is a mechanic with a lot of potential. I think you can see this is a theme in my posting tho, that all the pieces are interconnected. This is part of the reason its taking longer than you, who is patiently waiting for my posts, might ideally want. I am prioritizing this interconnection of ideas because it flows better for players, understanding one system gives a little bit a guidance into understand the others. This is something Salem doesn't really have right now, each mechanic is so unique and separate, which can be really cool in moderation, but intimidating when so many major mechanics are so different.

"Gluttony, or the direct players want the gluttony system to go." I will be going into this next, I need to make 2 posts before hand lay down some additional details, these are a rework of Fish, and the introduction of Status. Status because it directly affects Gluttony, and fish, well because fish suck right now, I'm sorry. This is something you mentioned you were working on, and I think my suggestion will make it easier, not harder to fix them. I also needed to make my suggestion on Madness before hand as well as the Chef Profession is obviously connected to the new food system I am suggesting.

On a similar note I needed to introduce New Madness before I can do my "Witch overhaul." I don't 100% know when I will post this one but I will work on writing it up tomorrow and try to do it once I finish the Gluttony Overhaul.

I hope this helps John. I appreciate your patience, although I might appreciate your public acknowledgement of the game and your thoughts a bit more.

- with love, pistolshrimp

PS. Please tell Ronch I appreciate his patience and persistence is helping me better see what you want here. We may not always see eye to eye, but he has been nothing but kind to me, where it would be super easy to get frustrated with my stubbornness. While I may not share his optimism in your current involvement in Salem, his belief is encouraging.
pistolshrimp

Postby Ronch » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:48 pm

pistolshrimp wrote:Dear Mr. Carver,

I know you are obviously reading this thread intently and I'm finally starting to understand your emissary, Ronch's, point. It took me way longer than it should have, but I never claimed to be a smart man. I am, tho, a persistent man. The kind of guy who would put a crayon through a brick wall sheerly through doing the same thing over and over again, but also never think to ask myself should I do that in the first place. And that, John, is what this thread really is, me trying to put a crayon through a brick wall.

We are obviously going to have different ideas on the ideal Salem and lets face it, my opinion doesn't really matter, that's why I haven't taken this thread very seriously, but Ronch is right, there is room for me to take it MORE seriously. We can only guess at your thoughts here, but I'm starting to see that the best educated guess would be that while you are open to new ideas and ways to change the game, you are MOST interested is a few of topics which you have ALREADY expressed interest in and it would make sense to cover those ideas first.

Let me reassure you that I am trying to get to those things as quick as I can. As you are so eager to read my ideas let me clarify this point. The truth is if you we actually here, reading this thread, I would post my ideas much faster. I have a fair number written up, but you are not, and honestly I think it may take a considerable length of time for you to even notice, if you even do. For that reason these changes are broken up into smaller chunks which makes them easier for me to write, you to read, and allows me to write a bunch at once and post them as the days change. I tend to do things in fits and bursts so being able to have some written up ahead of time lets me get through my lulls. "Posting Every So Often Until JC Returns" just doesn't have the same ring to it. Additionally, and this was probably the thing that was making it so hard for me to understand Ronch's point, I assumed that if you had talked about something in the roadmap or posted that you were thinking about it then you already had ideas and a plan and that I would be stepping on your toes by making to detailed of a suggestion about it. I guess I was over-thinking it.

So if you will be patient, or tell me yourself to speed up, I will try to re-prioritize my posting to bring suggestions on the mechanics you already expressed interest in to the front.

I covered some stuff already on "Personal mounts and beast of burden," but for the reasons I mention about avoiding toe stepping I was relatively vauge here. I will elaborate on these.

"Thermal system tweaks" is something I have definitely covered, but I agree my changes are drastic, but I think this could be a really good change that allows you to do more of the things YOU have mentioned you wanted to do, mainly reducing grind, but also nerf trees, add spoilage and heat exhaustion.

Temperature will come up quite a bit more as I post more suggestions because I believe it is a mechanic with a lot of potential. I think you can see this is a theme in my posting tho, that all the pieces are interconnected. This is part of the reason its taking longer than you, who is patiently waiting for my posts, might ideally want. I am prioritizing this interconnection of ideas because it flows better for players, understanding one system gives a little bit a guidance into understand the others. This is something Salem doesn't really have right now, each mechanic is so unique and separate, which can be really cool in moderation, but intimidating when so many major mechanics are so different.

"Gluttony, or the direct players want the gluttony system to go." I will be going into this next, I need to make 2 posts before hand lay down some additional details, these are a rework of Fish, and the introduction of Status. Status because it directly affects Gluttony, and fish, well because fish suck right now, I'm sorry. This is something you mentioned you were working on, and I think my suggestion will make it easier, not harder to fix them. I also needed to make my suggestion on Madness before hand as well as the Chef Profession is obviously connected to the new food system I am suggesting.

On a similar note I needed to introduce New Madness before I can do my "Witch overhaul." I don't 100% know when I will post this one but I will work on writing it up tomorrow and try to do it once I finish the Gluttony Overhaul.

I hope this helps John. I appreciate your patience, although I might appreciate your public acknowledgement of the game and your thoughts a bit more.

- with love, pistolshrimp

PS. Please tell Ronch I appreciate his patience and persistence is helping me better see what you want here. We may not always see eye to eye, but he has been nothing but kind to me, where it would be super easy to get frustrated with my stubbornness. While I may not share his optimism in your current involvement in Salem, his belief is encouraging.

I'm not an emissary of any man, but more like an emissary of common sense, and a keen student of history and human behavior(s).
Although I am a top-fan of JC's game, Salem. And also an admirer of JC's veiled-wisdom and his current insightful 'silent' confidence too.

On another note, I think your new tactic of sarcasm is much closer to getting a tangible response from Carver than your previously stated resentful annoyance tactics would have, so kudos for accomplishing your goal henceforth.
...Who knows, maybe you can someday trade those "kudo's" in for some more attributes that resemble Carver's wisdom and confidence.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby pistolshrimp » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:13 pm

Ronch wrote:On another note, I think your new tactic of sarcasm is much closer to getting a tangible response from Carver than your previously stated resentful annoyance tactics would have, so kudos for accomplishing your goal henceforth. :lol:

Let's say pseudo sarcasm. I was serious in my post above, just over the top about it. :D
pistolshrimp

Fish Changes + Pickling

Postby pistolshrimp » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Day 16: Fish Changes + Pickling

*Note to John: I am going to start shifting how I do these posts, specifically I will start each post with the why rather than end with it. That way you can see where I'm coming from AND hopefully where I'm going with my changes at the start. I recognize that while I'm sure you are hitting refresh on this thread every couple of minutes throughout the day, eager to get your next suggestion fix, your time in valuable and its better to know how an idea plays into things at the start rather than have to guess through out the post.*

Why it's Good for Salem: Fishing in Salem has never quite hit the mark and I think the crux of the issue is that in a grind heavy game the nature of fishing being so 1 off and so seemingly random makes time spent fishing wasted time. The weight change Mr. Carver implemented acknowledged this and tried to make it give more meat, but even if it the system was finished, I still have the same need for a fish that gives 10 fillets as one that gives 2, which is virtually none. This suggestion will take fish and instead of trying to make them worth the grind they take, double down on making it a mechanic you only use when you want to. I believe in a way that would actually make the mechanic much more useful and popular. Also in this post there will be some hints to concepts in New Gluttony. Some of which being Perfect items, Temperature Affecting Perfect Chance, and processing prevents spoilage.

What It Does: Remove weight on fishes and the all benefits related to weight. Fish are now biome and Temperature specific, cold biased, like the Hardiness of Fruit Trees. You should know exactly where to go to get certain fish, and while a certain Temperature/biome may be able to support multiple fish types, for the most part if you fish long enough in the right area you WILL catch the fish you are looking for. Most lures are removed - you can fish with a worm, and maybe like 1 to 3 lures max. Not a lot of variety is needed. Rods now also increase speed of fish animations, better rods are faster.

I would probably recommend adding at least 5 more Freshwater Fish to flesh out the variety a bit. I also think Salem should have bi-yearly Fish Events where a particularly type of event fish invade the streams for a week and can only be found then, no where else. For instance, Atlantic Salmon used to be similarly on the east coast like it is on the west coast, with major salmon runs. I'd say once or twice a year of a week the only fish you can get is Salmon. I can these temporally rare, ie rare in time, rather than in chance. Temporal rareness is something hinted at already in current Salem's seasons (especially the blood moon) but I would like to make incorporate more of this concept.

Unprocessed Fish spoil like other unprocessed foods. This also works with the Fish Events as those who can store the unprocessed fish the longer have a economical advantage. Spoilage gives a reason to dry fish again, as it is a form of processes and would prevent spoilage. In addition to drying, Fish can be Smoked in a Smoker, or placed in a Pickling Barrel.

Pickling Barrel: New Structure, 4 slots, can be filled with Vinegar or Milk of Lime, or Salt Water. Works a bit like a cauldron, reducing liquid and changing objects placed inside. Items soaked in Salt Water become Brined, objects in vinegar - Pickled .
Brined: Beef ---> Corned Beef, Pork ---> Salt Pork, other Any Meats ---> Brined Any Meat
Pickled: Any Fish ----> Pickled Any Fish, Any Egg ---> Pickled Any Egg, Beet ---> Pickled Beet, Any Head of Cabbage ---> Sauerkraut, Walnut ---> Pickled Walnuts
Milk of Lime: Any Fish ---> Ludafisk, Eggs ---> Century Egg

Fish Oil: Placing 10 L of Fish Broth in the Collaquitive Pressure Cooker yields 1 L of Fish Oil. Drinking Fish Oil Cures one of the new diseases from Insanity Changes and gives a buff: Healthy Liver which increases the defectiveness of other cures, for instance currently there are times when you know the disease you have, but have to take several doses of the cure, with this buff knowing the disease you will only ever need 1 dose of the cure.

How Purity affects Fish: The higher the purity of the bait or lure, and higher the chance of getting a Perfect Fish. This is a modifier stat and doesn't change the icon at all. Additionally chance of getting a Perfect Fish is related to the proximity to that fishes ideal temperature. For instance a Bullhead can live between X and Z temperatures, but its ideal is in the middle, at Y, catching it there is a slightly higher chance of getting a Perfect Bullhead. Perfect Fish always give Swim Bladders when butchered. I'll go more into what Perfect Foods are very soon, but the idea that this is tied to temperature zones is that this stat will slightly increase the desire to explore the map and get people out of their bases.

Also I personally want the Fish Bowl gone for thematic reasons.
pistolshrimp

Above Affluence - Status

Postby pistolshrimp » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:31 am

Day 17: Above Affluence - Status

*Note to John. Get ready Mr. Carver, tomorrow I will officially start on detailing New Gluttony, however it will take a couple of days to get through it. This post lays down one finial piece that goes into New Gluttony, but that isn't EXCLUSIVELY Gluttony related.*

Why it's Good for Salem: Historically Salem has fallen slightly short when it comes to giving players who don't wish to fight or raid meaningful ways to contribute in the politics of Salem. This post won't cover politics just yet, but details a new stat which one could think of as Permanent Affluence. Thematically what someone's reputation and how they were perceived in Puritan New England was of extreme importance, and is really one of the main factors igniting of witch hunts. Currently the Stocks hint at this sort of shame system that existed at the time, but doesn't really capitalize on it. Money, power, connections all played into this system. How this benefits Salem is that it gives new ways for mid and late game players to interact with the politics of Salem in meaningful ways while not disabling raiders and fighters from doing what they do best. It should also push some of the power from alts onto mains and discourage crime alts slightly.

What It Does: Status is a new stat is added to all players and is affected by the choices a player makes as well as how "good" they are at playing. While only a single Status number will be viewable by a player there are 3 types of status points which all add up into that number.

Global Status Points: These are factors that update automatically and daily, they do not require any Check-In.
1. Claims - is your homestead a leanto or a stake claim? p-claim (and Size), member of a town? mayor of a town? town size all affect your status.
2. Have you been in the stocks in the last week, has a person in your town been to the stocks, this being different if you are a major vs just a citizen of that town. Has someone on your account been in the stocks?
3. Have you been accused of being a witch in the last week, have you falsely accused another of being a witch in the last week. Has someone in your town been accused rightfully, has someone on your account been accused rightfully.
4. Are you on any leaderboards.
5. Do you have a profession.
6. Have you opted into the Politician profession.
7. Scalp score - however this one offers diminising returns, so high scalp score doesn't necessirly = high status.

Check-In Status Points: Once a week you need to go to Providence and "Check-In" at the town hall. Here you will be given extra points that last for 7 days. After 7 days they fall off.
1. Affluence of your clothing at check-in.
2. Highest Rank of Mason's Necklace in your inventory at Check-In.
3. Are you diseased, on drugs, or going through withdrawals at check-in?
4. Silver in the Bank at time of Check-in.

Rank Status Points: Only after all points are added rank is determined and bonus status points awarded.
1. Your Status vs everyone else on the server.
2. Are you the current Governor. #1 on server, I imagine this would give special advantages.

While this system on its own doesn't do much it hints at some parts I will go into later, one important thing is that now there is a consequence AND possible political advantage to falsely claiming someone is a witch. How much of a disadvantage/advantage this will be will also be affected by the accuser's Status, so a random claiming you to be a witch will be meaningless, a major player accusing you, then that's going to hurt. It also disadvantages raiders from playing politics as crime hurts their status, but it doesn't make it impossible, but also this is intended to create more diversity in play styles.

Clarifications: Why Check-In Status Points? It gives more power to Affluence which is currently under-powered, it also gives room for players who want to play the system a means to standing out above the rest. Why money at check-in rather than making silver in the bank a global status? This allows for predatory lending mechanics where one might take out a loan to get a 7 day boost in status, but at a cost. There is a lot in this Suggestion that is only hinted at but which I'd like to expand on more at a later date.
pistolshrimp

Postby pistolshrimp » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:14 am

Day 18: Gluttony Rework - Part 1 Overview

*Note to John, getting into it now. For the sake of your patience Mr. Carver, I am going to give you the overview in this post and elaborate in the following posts.*

Why it's Good for Salem / Problems With Current Gluttony: First Gluttony currently favors certain foods, so much so that once you reach a certain point in the game it is unlikely, unless satisfying a craving, that you will ever touch large amounts of the recipes. This feels thematically incorrect and unrewarding for developers as a lot of effort can be put into making a new food only to have it be largely ignored. A Gluttony system would should add greater variety to food system, pushing players to experiment rather than get locked into the same dozen foods or so.

Second Purity is already in the 90s so unless there is a purity reset (undesirable) all new recipes need to be balanced around high purity. A new system would have to deal with purity in a way that doesn't feel like it punishes the players who have already put the grind into that system.

Third Current Gluttony makes creating high level alts too easily, benefiting from the infrastructure built by the mains. This is theoretically how it should be, but I personally believe it is far TOO easy at the moment, making mains less meaningful on a whole.

Additionally New Gluttony should be a system that decreases overall grind without being too easy to master, or too uninuitive to get into for new players.

My Solution
Basics: The most simplest way to describe my proposed Gluttony system is Salem meets Breath of the Wild meets Stardew Valley. From Stardew Valley we get a quality system, or in Salem "Perfect Ingredients". From Breath of the Wild we get recipes that don't require actual recipes, rather ingredients are selected and combined without the need recipes with results that are related to the ingredients created. Essentially the recipes are coded in the background and players stumble upon the recipes by experimenting.

Major Changes: Almost all recipes will be removed, with the exception of snacks and means of processing raw ingredients, so Roasted Meat, Roasted Fish recipes would stay, with the addition of new ones. Most bread recipes would remain. All numbers on all non-snack processed foods will be removed and replaced by a single number its Gourmet Value. You can no longer eat non-snack processed foods outside a gluttony session and all healing is now done by eating unprocessed or snack foods. Processed and Snack Foods do not spoil although raw ingredients do spoil in relation with temperature. Spoiled Foods can still be used in recipes. Ingredients, processed or unprocessed do not have gluttony stats any more, just heal if they can be eaten raw, and food type.

Feasting Bonus is removed. Sugar and Spice affecting gluttony is removed. Full and Fed up debuff is removed. Q&Q debuff is no longer affected by Gluttony. Every 24 hours you get an opportunity to do a Gluttony session, although Cravings will still remain the same.

Points from Gluttony are based on Gourmet value and add to all Biles equally. Biles being out of whack are no longer a thing. (Cravings that only add 1 bile due to food group being met rather than exact craving will cycle through biles so they will never be more than 1 bile off at any point). Essentially gourmet value is based on effort, the more effort put into a recipe the higher its gourmet value. Spoiled food lowers gourmet value, but doesn't ruin it, new skills unlock new ways to process foods allow for higher gourmet values, so while there are a variety of ways to increase gourmet value, it will naturally increase as a player progresses.

Gluttony interacts with Status so eating too much food with high Gourmet value by low status characters will potentially cause Gout, a new disease which may have long term consequences. This will make it harder, but not impossible, for alts to benefit from the work or mains.
pistolshrimp

Postby Zapt13 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:08 pm

If there were to be another expedition, would Gluttony need to be modified due to a reversion of the available purity of ingredients? It could be somewhat like the discovery system of Haven where once all of the ingredients are discovered by a character, the subject recipes are unlocked. Here it's more about discovering a recipe "success" which a character can later recall?

If status is sufficiently difficult for alts to maintain (to me it seemed like a decent affluence set would circumvent this substantially), this proposed system would make it more difficult (or at least time consuming) to raise an army of alts.
Re-enter your signature!
Zapt13

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations