Salem for Music Lovers - Mod

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Salem for Music Lovers - Mod

Postby pistolshrimp » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:15 pm

I'm not going to say Salem's soundscape is bad, but I will say playing Salem with the sound on is punishing, especially so if you like to listen to music or video in the background. Of course you can mute the audio, but there is some valuable information that is communicated via audio.

This Mod replaces most of the sounds in Salem with a 1 second silent track. It preserves the sounds of fighting, darkness animals, mortars and catapults being loaded/fired, insanity events (minus the whispers), braziers crits, and disease, and the damned gemshard sound. That way you can leave Salem's audio and only be interrupted from your music/video experience by potentially important things.

How to install:
1. Download from: Here
2. Extract the file.
2. Open you Salem folder (C:\Users\USERNAME\Salem)
3. Place the extracted sfx file inside your Custom_res folder. If you don't have one, make one.

Recommendations:
Take a look inside the folders, if there is something you want to hear, delete that res file. Most of the files are pretty self explanatory, but if you need help finding something reach out to me on Discord.

Note:
This is a WIP. There are sounds I don't have so I couldn't make silent versions of. If there is a sound you want silenced reach out to me on Discord. It will help if you can provide the cached file from your .salem\cache\res\sfx folder.
pistolshrimp

Re: Salem for Music Lovers - Mod

Postby Taipion » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:46 pm

pistolshrimp wrote:I'm not going to say Salem's soundscape is bad, but I will say playing Salem with the sound on is punishing, especially so if you like to listen to music or video in the background. Of course you can mute the audio, but there is some valuable information that is communicated via audio.

This Mod replaces most of the sounds in Salem with a 1 second silent track. It preserves the sounds of fighting, darkness animals, mortars and catapults being loaded/fired, insanity events (minus the whispers), braziers crits, and disease, and the damned gemshard sound. That way you can leave Salem's audio and only be interrupted from your music/video experience by potentially important things.

How to install:
1. Download from: Here
2. Extract the file.
2. Open you Salem folder (C:\Users\USERNAME\Salem)
3. Place the extracted sfx file inside your Custom_res folder. If you don't have one, make one.

Recommendations:
Take a look inside the folders, if there is something you want to hear, delete that res file. Most of the files are pretty self explanatory, but if you need help finding something reach out to me on Discord.

Note:
This is a WIP. There are sounds I don't have so I couldn't make silent versions of. If there is a sound you want silenced reach out to me on Discord. It will help if you can provide the cached file from your .salem\cache\res\sfx folder.

You know you can just mute the background music... ?
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby pistolshrimp » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:55 pm

Taipion wrote:You know you can just mute the background music... ?

I think you are misunderstanding what this mod does. It has nothing to do with Salem's music, but rather changing it so you don't have to choose between muting the Audio and getting important game information through in-game sounds.
pistolshrimp

Postby Taipion » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:16 pm

pistolshrimp wrote:
Taipion wrote:You know you can just mute the background music... ?

I think you are misunderstanding what this mod does. It has nothing to do with Salem's music, but rather changing it so you don't have to choose between muting the Audio and getting important game information through in-game sounds.

So it mutes everything but those mentioned in your first post?
Wouldn't it be better to just provide "blanks" for every sounds and let people decide what they deem important?! :lol:
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby pistolshrimp » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:57 am

Taipion wrote:So it mutes everything but those mentioned in your first post?

Yes.
Taipion wrote:Wouldn't it be better to just provide "blanks" for every sounds and let people decide what they deem important?! :lol:

That is what this does. It provides a silent version for most of the sounds in the game, you can then choose to move them individually into or out of your Custom_res folder depending on what is important to you or not, hence:
pistolsrhimp wrote:Recommendations:
pistolshrimp

Return to Artifice & Arcana