Game client won't run and i'm no programmer. What's missing

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Game client won't run and i'm no programmer. What's missing

Postby turtlepond » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi,

I am attempting to run salem on my laptop which has an ubuntu mate 19.1 operating system (as a windows operating system would eventually destroy my computer as it has every other computer I ever owned) I learned only recently that I can get rid of windows and am very new to using a Linux system. I don't know what to download that would normally be automatically provided by windows. (Or if I have to run some code in the terminal as often seems to be the case with this system).

I have installed java (jre). And i am sure that my laptop's hardware is sufficient as I have run salem on far inferior computers. But when I click on the link to download the game client it opens a list of code and nothing happens.

Are any of the developers or individuals more experienced than I willing to or able to explain what's required in a computer's system to run the game client -- other than just java? I have attempted searching for the answer myself and all I could find till now are about runescape or minecraft, and those sources are so specific they weren't helpful. Nothing general or even on how a game client actually works has come up so far. Maybe i'm just poor at searching.

There should be no issues with firewalls or virus protection programs.

I will continue to search for the answer myself and will update this if I manage to figure it out.

Thank you for your time
turtlepond

Re: Game client won't run and i'm no programmer. What's miss

Postby Ronch » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:13 am

Have you searched the forums here yet ?

Did you know Salem has a discord ?
Salem's Discord:
https://discord.gg/qp9frqm

Although the game is still quite active, the forum here hasn't been very active for about a year now.
Until our Developer returns, most of the community hangs out and shares information on the game's Discord channel.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Re: Game client won't run and i'm no programmer. What's miss

Postby turtlepond » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:51 pm

Hey thanks for the advice :)
turtlepond

Return to Bugs & Technicalities