Safe Maps - Illustrated

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Re: Safe Maps - Illustrated

Postby RuneNL » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:36 pm

drmex wrote:Anything ever come of this? I'd be interested in helping.

Before I was busy with mapping and exploring but things have changed.
Unfortunately I do not have the time to spend on a detailed illustrated map.

However, if someone wants to do this I dont mind supplying censored maps.
But some places are better left as a hidden location.
RuneNL

Postby drmex » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:55 pm

RuneNL wrote:

Yeah I'm just thinking of how to censor out areas I don't want seen either, either leaving out the tiles or something along those lines. How large of an area do your maps cover? Don't need to know location - just want to see if I combine yours with mine if it'll create a big enough area to show.
drmex

Postby jcwilk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:24 am

drmex wrote:
RuneNL wrote:

Yeah I'm just thinking of how to censor out areas I don't want seen either, either leaving out the tiles or something along those lines. How large of an area do your maps cover? Don't need to know location - just want to see if I combine yours with mine if it'll create a big enough area to show.

I wonder if there's some way to obfuscate the map en masse so there's no risk of really sensitive fine details being exposed... But you'd still be able to see high level detail. Maybe some type of blurring? Lowering the resolution? Might make it a bit hard to see what the biomes are though...
JohnCarver wrote:This way no matter how bad my day gets, a text message that one of you died to madness always seems to brighten it.
jcwilk

Postby RuneNL » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:00 am

Well to draw the map. Mountains get mountain range bit. Rivers are shown. Biomes etc. Kinda like on the link of my first post.

Atleast that was my idea back then.
RuneNL

Postby jcwilk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:14 am

RuneNL wrote:Well to draw the map. Mountains get mountain range bit. Rivers are shown. Biomes etc. Kinda like on the link of my first post.

Atleast that was my idea back then.

Oh, yeah, sorry, I thought you guys were talking about censoring the source material so that the artist/anyone who helps the artist won't be unfairly advantaged and/or the people who have painstakingly curated the full-detail map don't lose their advantage. Yeah I imagine there ought to be no concerns about a drawn map offering too much information... But I am relatively new so maybe there are things I don't know at play ;P
JohnCarver wrote:This way no matter how bad my day gets, a text message that one of you died to madness always seems to brighten it.
jcwilk

Postby Darwoth » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:46 am

i used to look at old atlases for eons when i was a little kid (really old, the kind with sea monsters and **** on them) so illustrated maps would be neat for sure. i am also willing to host maps for all 3 servers on my website (which has been around for 8 years so the maps wouldnt be up one month down the next like usual) if anyone wants to do the php scripting needed.
Darwoth

Postby drmex » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Darwoth wrote:i used to look at old atlases for eons when i was a little kid (really old, the kind with sea monsters and **** on them) so illustrated maps would be neat for sure. i am also willing to host maps for all 3 servers on my website (which has been around for 8 years so the maps wouldnt be up one month down the next like usual) if anyone wants to do the php scripting needed.

This is starting to sound promising. I can create the map tiles for different zoom levels.

I'm hoping I can photoshop the current map tiles rather than someone having to redraw an entire map as my drawing skills are subpar.
drmex

Previous

Return to Artifice & Arcana