Moderation Complaints Megathread v.2.0

Forum for In-Game politics, relations and matters of justice.

Moderation Complaints Megathread v.2.0

Postby jorb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:56 am

In this thread you may post and/or discuss complaints about moderation for public perusal, provided you adhere to the following set of simple rules:

• You will present your case in a concise and courteous manner. If you feel you need to vent without fear of repercussions you may send me a PM doing so.
  • Should I decide to make some sort of statement on a matter brought before this tribunal, you will accept it as final if I say it is. Reasonable discussion is always allowed.

There. Try to behave.
jorb

Re: Moderation Complaints Megathread v. 2.0

Postby colesie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:56 am

Myyy feeeeeeeeet huuuuuurrrrrrtttttt

USER GOT 6 HOURS IN THE SLAMMER FOR THIS. FUNNY GUY GOT KILLED FIRST.
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Re: Moderation Complaints Megathread v.2.0

Postby Claeyt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:46 am

On behalf of the forum, Jorb, I would like to apologize for the idiots who for some reason have to fight it out on the forum. Please try to ignore their PM's as much as possible.

I suppose the Seatribe site does warn against the forum drama. :D
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby DemonEyes » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:34 am

I have moderated much busier and more aggressive forums than this, and I understand the struggle each and every mod faces..

You have to balance the activity and free flow of conversation on the forums, against the content and manner in which the poster represents himself with.

An overly aggressive argument can hold a significant point, or may just be the rage filled ramblings of someone venting. Moderation is the art of knowing which is which and how to react to each one. And yes.. the one that needs moderation will always be bitter, angry and filled with resentment for the small act of editing or removal of his words, as at the time they seem the words they want to say.

BUT.. I have had one forum ban in my life, for speaking the harsh truth( this was from a games forums, where I warned the devs that they were destroying the game and it would end up F2P.. behold that happened and its F2P now).. The words that may hold the truth may be unwelcome at times even to moderators and development staff. And Moderation should not be the removal of all criticism to them or the game, but the means to redirect the harsh words, into constructive ideas and statements towards those it is aimed at.

I see a surprising number bans for a small number of posters, which to me questions whether warnings are being given effectively or posters actively encouraged to amend their words and ways of expressing themselves. In the modern era, not everyone knows how to behave online, most have taken to heart the anonymity of the internet.

I feel for the Mods, yet I feel there may be too heavy a hand at the wheel.
DemonEyes

Postby Claeyt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:53 am

DemonEyes wrote:I see a surprising number bans for a small number of posters, which to me questions whether warnings are being given effectively or posters actively encouraged to amend their words and ways of expressing themselves. In the modern era, not everyone knows how to behave online, most have taken to heart the anonymity of the internet.

Boom +1 for more truth.

I don't know if it's a heavy hand so much as just highly personal moderation of certain unnamed individuals. I'm hoping they realize not to be political in moderation, but it's getting reeeeaaaal hard to defend them when they're starting threads to celebrate the bans of certain people even if they were harassing the mods. Please leave the politics in the game folks both mods and players.
Last edited by Claeyt on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby Procne » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:57 am

Can you give examples of people who got a ban, and hadn't been warned multiple times earlier?
Procne

Postby Claeyt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:28 am

Procne wrote:Can you give examples of people who got a ban, and hadn't been warned multiple times earlier?

No, I can't. Every single person that's got the ban hammer probably got plenty of warnings. What I mean to say is that the mods really shouldn't be celebrating bans or even talking about them like they are. A little political discretion, patience and just 'leaving it behind and moving' on will do wonders for both the game and the forum. Patting each other on the back isn't helping.

Claeyt

Postby NeiroShop » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:44 am

I find it funny mods whipping up their personal "enemies" from ingame into a namecalling/bashing frenzy then just go greentext, issue a warning and when they dont heed (very understandable as i would not either) they give them a ban.

Now if this was a real for business game the mod team would be changed without so much as an announcement why and/or apologies for bad behaviour from the mod team.

As it is it feels more like a privately owned thing where the devs troll the players as much as the mods troll the players. I also find it funny people here bash on WoW players etc. As a former WoW player i am appalled by theese forums. There are trolls out there in all games and yet this is the first actually published game i see mods bashing players.

I have never once had an issue with a Mod on WoW forums. I have never once seen a spamposter like Dallane get so many free passes.

Yet you all claim you do this for our benefit. (see jordancoles sig). If you do it for our benefit id ask you to let someone else do it for our benefit as that would be for the greater good. Someone like Clayet for instance.

As this approaches a wall of text i shall add that I am now leaving Salem. With uncertain patches to come if any at all, with current content this game is barely better than Farmwille. I have enjoyed trading with lots of strange people and have somehow managed to keep my hopes up for this game to turn around. As theese last few announcement brings more fear than hope i shall leave while i still have some good memories of Salem.
NeiroShop

Postby Claeyt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:12 pm

NeiroShop wrote:Yet you all claim you do this for our benefit. (see jordancoles sig). If you do it for our benefit id ask you to let someone else do it for our benefit as that would be for the greater good. Someone like Clayet for instance.

I like my walls of text and emoticons too much. :D

NeiroShop wrote:As this approaches a wall of text i shall add that I am now leaving Salem. With uncertain patches to come if any at all, with current content this game is barely better than Farmwille. I have enjoyed trading with lots of strange people and have somehow managed to keep my hopes up for this game to turn around. As theese last few announcement brings more fear than hope i shall leave while i still have some good memories of Salem.

Sorry to see you go. Please keep in contact with the game to see the updates. I've seen a ton of old players from last fall on recently and they all really like the tiered food stuff and some of the updates. They're back casually now so keep checking back maybe you'll see something you like.

Claeyt

Postby sabinati » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:23 pm

Claeyt wrote:
DemonEyes wrote:I see a surprising number bans for a small number of posters, which to me questions whether warnings are being given effectively or posters actively encouraged to amend their words and ways of expressing themselves. In the modern era, not everyone knows how to behave online, most have taken to heart the anonymity of the internet.

Boom +1 for more turth.

I don't know if it's a heavy hand so much as just highly personal moderation of certain unnamed individuals. I'm hoping they realize not to be political in moderation, but it's getting reeeeaaaal hard to defend them when they're starting threads to celebrate the bans of certain people even if they were harassing the mods. Please leave the politics in the game folks both mods and players.

link?
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Next

Return to House of Burgesses