Game Development: Every Little... + Development Thoughts

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Every Little... + Development Thoughts

Postby staxjax » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:25 pm

n0kturnal, pretty sure its not the forums that make the people quit playing Salem. I'm guessing over 90% of the nublet players dont even both reading the forums. They log in (if they can successfully launch the client), create a new character (if they can figure it out), teleport to a server of their choice (if they can figure it out), then walk around and try to click on everything and pick everything up (once again, if they can figure out how to do that). Then they decide the game sucks, close the game, and never return. All of this is done within the first ten minutes of creating an account.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby n0kturnal » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:57 pm

I doubt the forums do have an impact on new players, but it just seems like there is a lot of negativity toward the game around here. I'm not saying the forums should be a perfect place, but the constant comparisons to Haven and the misdeeds of some posters just won't encourage people to join in on the fun. Every now and then a troll comment is fine, but when the topic is instantly derailed by page 2 - something is wrong. A good mod team is a must when you have very active forums, we just lost ours, so what's that say?

In general though, nublets should have a tutorial island before server pick. Get on the boat and you go to an instanced starting area with you and any friends that you kin from the start. Once there you could learn the basics of the game, have all the terrain and resources represented, plus some buildings and materials for you to play with. When you've gotten the gist of the game, you are allowed to port to a server of your choice and you'd have an opportunity right then for a discount or deal on one of the starter packs. Couldn't be more simple and wouldn't be that difficult to implement and code.
n0kturnal

Postby L33LEE » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:03 pm

n0kturnal wrote:I doubt the forums do have an impact on new players, but it just seems like there is a lot of negativity toward the game around here. I'm not saying the forums should be a perfect place, but the constant comparisons to Haven and the misdeeds of some posters just won't encourage people to join in on the fun. Every now and then a troll comment is fine, but when the topic is instantly derailed by page 2 - something is wrong. A good mod team is a must when you have very active forums, we just lost ours, so what's that say?

In general though, nublets should have a tutorial island before server pick. Get on the boat and you go to an instanced starting area with you and any friends that you kin from the start. Once there you could learn the basics of the game, have all the terrain and resources represented, plus some buildings and materials for you to play with. When you've gotten the gist of the game, you are allowed to port to a server of your choice and you'd have an opportunity right then for a discount or deal on one of the starter packs. Couldn't be more simple and wouldn't be that difficult to implement and code.

Sounds like the tutorial island idea i mentioned + suggested in great detail, about oh, 9 months ago.

Nothing new suggested here.
Retribution ~ Death comes to those who wait.

Wishy for Mod - http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7783
L33LEE

Postby Dallane » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:32 pm

L33LEE wrote:
n0kturnal wrote:I doubt the forums do have an impact on new players, but it just seems like there is a lot of negativity toward the game around here. I'm not saying the forums should be a perfect place, but the constant comparisons to Haven and the misdeeds of some posters just won't encourage people to join in on the fun. Every now and then a troll comment is fine, but when the topic is instantly derailed by page 2 - something is wrong. A good mod team is a must when you have very active forums, we just lost ours, so what's that say?

Sounds like the tutorial island idea i mentioned + suggested in great detail, about oh, 9 months ago.

Nothing new suggested here.

New bad idea like the old one
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby sebastion » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:11 am

staxjax wrote:n0kturnal, pretty sure its not the forums that make the people quit playing Salem. I'm guessing over 90% of the nublet players dont even both reading the forums. They log in (if they can successfully launch the client), create a new character (if they can figure it out), teleport to a server of their choice (if they can figure it out), then walk around and try to click on everything and pick everything up (once again, if they can figure out how to do that). Then they decide the game sucks, close the game, and never return. All of this is done within the first ten minutes of creating an account.

I think many people do check out the forums to try and get a feel for the community. And sadly the most active posters here come off as a bunch of ass hats. Some mods included. :(
sebastion

Postby Dallane » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:30 am

sebastion wrote:
staxjax wrote:n0kturnal, pretty sure its not the forums that make the people quit playing Salem. I'm guessing over 90% of the nublet players dont even both reading the forums. They log in (if they can successfully launch the client), create a new character (if they can figure it out), teleport to a server of their choice (if they can figure it out), then walk around and try to click on everything and pick everything up (once again, if they can figure out how to do that). Then they decide the game sucks, close the game, and never return. All of this is done within the first ten minutes of creating an account.

I think many people do check out the forums to try and get a feel for the community. And sadly the most active posters here come off as a bunch of ass hats. Some mods included. :(

You think wrong

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby sabinati » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:24 am

sebastion wrote:

that's a ban
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby staxjax » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:29 am

sebastion wrote:

Dem mods, making all the nublets quit before they even get started. Shame on them.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Dallane » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:51 am

***** mods banning people without actually banning them

User was banned until world 7
- Colesie

Dallane

Postby Shizen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:58 am

L33LEE wrote:
Shizen wrote:This is obviously completely untrue. I could crack that base, as could about 8 other people I can think of off hand, and we're all mid-tier players..

If you think you can walk into a 20+ brazier concentrated base ALONE (from what your statement sounds like) in a 20x20 tile area, behind a stone wall and destroy the base, your either hacking the game or have 2000+ Black bile, which i would love to see you prove either one.

Either way, your statement clearly shows you are a complete *******, and have no clue how brazier damage really works or what your talking about.

We shall call this, colesie syndrome.

*Points you towards the 99.99%*

That's what I like about you, L33Lee, you're a fair, balanced, reasonable person, not given to hyperbolic outrageous statements or juvenile personal attacks. A class act. I bet we'd get on in real life too.

I will grant that phrasing was unclear. No one raids "straight up" with one character against a base with overlapping brazier fire that I'm aware of. By me, I meant myself and my raiding helpers. Which is to say 4-6 medium toons could taken the base you describe. As for proof, you're just showing a false face. You know I'm right. I, however, have no intention of exposing our combat alts over a pointless forum argument. I can imagine how gracefully you would respond to that.

Belling the pclaim would also work, though I don't see anyone doing that on a lark. The reality of the game, however, is that only the biggest groups on each server would attack that claim, because no one else would be willing to risk scents on their combat alts. Just like I'm not willing to. So the "effectiveness" of that defense is really based on the personality/whims of the dominant raid group on the perspective newb's server. That is a social defense, not a crunch one. Your assertion is invalid.
Shizen

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements