Make water essential in the wild.

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: BAN fast travel -if water in bucket

Postby Nsuidara » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:32 pm

Block Water ? ok ?

but

Travel Boston - got/get water - use lime / brain = no water :] bucket :F

so, block bucket lime / bucket brain = bad idea... brain is so ...
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Haxzploid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Nsuidara wrote:Block Water ? ok ?

but

Travel Boston - got/get water - use lime / brain = no water :] bucket :F

so, block bucket lime / bucket brain = bad idea... brain is so ...

You are clever, very clever.

I will have to say any Liquid.
Last edited by Haxzploid on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Haxzploid

Postby ShadowAtlan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:42 pm

The problem with this is that, teleporting to boston to get a bucket full of water and then teleporting back to use it, going back and forth and back and forth is already a bloody obnoxious thing to do. I've been there, I've done that. That's precisely why I made sure my location is sitting comfortably on the shores of a massive lake. However... Removing it only adds more hassle when, people are likely to pick a place near water (for fishing, beavers, water, curios) already, the wells being useful for when all the available water spots are taken up. Perhaps it's just my opinion, but I think having to port to boston to get water is already a very bothersome game mechanic, that allows getting water for those who really need it, but isn't something I want to do every day.
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science.
ShadowAtlan

Postby Haxzploid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:05 pm

ShadowAtlan wrote:The problem with this is that, teleporting to boston to get a bucket full of water and then teleporting back to use it, going back and forth and back and forth is already a bloody obnoxious thing to do. I've been there, I've done that. That's precisely why I made sure my location is sitting comfortably on the shores of a massive lake. However... Removing it only adds more hassle when, people are likely to pick a place near water (for fishing, beavers, water, curios) already, the wells being useful for when all the available water spots are taken up. Perhaps it's just my opinion, but I think having to port to boston to get water is already a very bothersome game mechanic, that allows getting water for those who really need it, but isn't something I want to do every day.

I see your point, but this bothersome game mechanic, ELIMINATES an aspect of the game completely :)

Water and Civilisation
Perhaps the essential ingredient to any viable civilisation is access to water. Nearly all the great civilisations the world grew up around water, which provided the key not only to supplying freshwater, but also to agriculture, trade, transport and defence. Such civilisations as the Roman Empire, Egyptian Civilisation, the Venetian Empire and the Omayyad Dynasty were all founded on their access to water, which provided their population with the means to both survive and expand.
Haxzploid

Postby Nsuidara » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Have ieda!!!

Move Boston - center forest :D
where not exsist water :F

But My House is .... :( too center forest and no exsist water :(
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:36 pm

And how many of you are going to live near these water sources after people get boats and find them to easily raid you? This isn't going to be as extensive as in certain other games, but enough of the waterways are connected.

Besides, if someone wants to spend 24 nails (not that much anymore with ironworks going) to make 24 buckets to haul water AND the space to store all those buckets, who are we to stop them? Personally, I'd find it easier to use one bucket and just click on the barrel and water (back and forth) until the barrel is full and then haul the barrel back (which you can't do via fast travel, anyway). Still won't live on the water, though....
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Haxzploid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:38 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Besides, if someone wants to spend 24 nails (not that much anymore with ironworks going) to make 24 buckets to haul water AND the space to store all those buckets, who are we to stop them?

Perhaps i look at this from a different perspective. I don't care how HARD it is to obtain this water. I would like to see that you had no access to this method of getting water.

I just think it ruins so many aspects of the game.

Water should be vital on the map both in the forms of rivers and spots where wells can be built.

Ok imagine a desert like place, perhaps there are some bonuses to settling here.. but you lack the presence of water. (NP we just travel to Boston and get it)

You take one of the most important things in human civilization and render it useless, the access to a water suply :)
Haxzploid

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Ditto for having trees in boston to gather branches from.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby pugzor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Haxzploid wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Besides, if someone wants to spend 24 nails (not that much anymore with ironworks going) to make 24 buckets to haul water AND the space to store all those buckets, who are we to stop them?

Perhaps i look at this from a different perspective. I don't care how HARD it is to obtain this water. I would like to see that you had no access to this method of getting water.

Water should be vital on the map both in the forms of rivers and spots where wells can be built.

Ok imagine a desert like place, perhaps there are some bonuses to settling here.. but you lack the presence of water. (NP we just travel to Boston and get it)

You take one of the most important things in human civilization and render it useless, the access to a water suply :)

By this logic the "Teleport to Boston" skill should also be removed. :D
pugzor

Postby Haxzploid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:50 pm

pugzor wrote:
Haxzploid wrote:

By this logic the "Teleport to Boston" skill should also be removed. :D

The fast travel to Boston allows for a community to exist. You can't dig up lime in Boston. You can't mine iron in Boston. Why should it be any different for water?

I am simply looking at water as a resource. This has a huge impact on the game. If the developers think water should play a part in where you decide to settle then i would strongly advocate that it should be impossible to travel with water in your inventory. If water should not play a huge part in where people should settle, then by all means keep the current system :)

Perhaps when wells are implemented, make it impossible to travel with water? Also other structures could be implemented to perhaps combat the issue of no water nearby. A place that collects rain water, like a gutter on your house leading to a barrel, filling up slowly over time (even more slow in dry biomes) Imagine being able to upgrade your house with gadgets like that :P
Haxzploid

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations