Is salem worth playing?

Forum for In-Game politics, relations, matters of justice, and other in-game topics.

Is salem worth playing?

Postby Colfeng » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:45 pm

I remember the heydays of the peepookaka clan, Darwoth ***** on the forums and flame wars between prominent forum goers like Dallane and Colsie. Is there still a vibrant forum community? Is salem still worth visiting? This game will always hold a special place in my heart. I just hope it still has the same interesting forum presence it had when I last visited.
Colfeng

Re: Is salem worth playing?

Postby Sinnerman » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:33 pm

Ahoy matey!
To be honest with you, the game died a couple of months after Jorbtar's sold their project to MM.
Only the Great Spirit could give unique moments to this game such as joy and tears. At the moment the development of the game is apparently abandoned, so I don't see a reason to enter the game. Maybe, in someday, i hope this game will be sold to some plebs who can return to their former glory to Salem. Unfortunately the game is not worth the candles at the moment.

Always yours retired Captain James Purefoy.

Blood will be shed
Lives will be lost
People will be devastated

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7pLo3IPKI0fD4ZqIXe2hPg
Sinnerman

Postby DarkNacht » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:37 pm

Most of the forum stuff has moved to Discord.
DarkNacht

Postby Ronch » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:01 am

Colfeng wrote:Is there still a vibrant forum community?

Yes there is, but the majority of game discussions are currently being posted on it's unofficial discord, which is only temporarily not accepting new members due to one or two sad-face butt-hurt former players creating multiple accounts on that discord channel to spam their resentful salty tears. Maybe because mommy stopped wiping their tears for them, over an online game.

Until then: Visit here too though, these forum boards have resurrected substantially with new activity over the past two or three months.

Colfeng wrote:Is Salem still worth visiting? This game will always hold a special place in my heart.
I think you might already know the answer to that question.
Yes, it is worth visiting (or playing) especially if you enjoyed playing it in the past.
Not much has changed besides the population currently (as in today) being a little less than half of what it was two years ago.

Salem is an awesome game, and always will be as long as there is still a server to host it.

Welcome back !
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby Judaism » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:59 pm

Colfeng wrote:I remember the heydays of the peepookaka clan, Darwoth ***** on the forums and flame wars between prominent forum goers like Dallane and Colsie. Is there still a vibrant forum community? Is salem still worth visiting? This game will always hold a special place in my heart. I just hope it still has the same interesting forum presence it had when I last visited.

Absolutely not, game died somewhere around 2016 with a series of bad updates. Mainly regarding a raid nerf, additional defenses, stockades/tbc's and no counter measures to any of this, not even petty crimes or whatsoever. The Devs initially did a good job adding more depth into the game and more incentive such as new creatures, more witchcraft mechanics, additional skills, artifacts and clothings and so on.

But they completely countered the perma-death aspects, drama and the more interesting parts which made this game unique. The things you are referring to are mainly prior to all these changes. Right now, basically since 2016 this game is a glorified farm-ville without interesting large towns and people playing intensively against or with eachother. Thats all in the past sadly, the far majority is a hermit now while enjoying building his base and tending their fields.

The expeditions were fun for a couple of weeks, but they were just a sign of their lack/will to balance the game out perfectly. Both Marp and John have said that neither would enjoy this game as it stood around 2017, nor that they would be able to do the things they done and enjoyed prior to Providence.

It would be great to see this game under more serious developers again, but the chances of that ever happening would be extremely small due to various reasons and it would not be a gaurantee that the game will do any better.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Taipion » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:31 am

Judaism wrote:
Colfeng wrote:I remember the heydays of the peepookaka clan, Darwoth ***** on the forums and flame wars between prominent forum goers like Dallane and Colsie. Is there still a vibrant forum community? Is salem still worth visiting? This game will always hold a special place in my heart. I just hope it still has the same interesting forum presence it had when I last visited.

Absolutely not, game died somewhere around 2016 with a series of bad updates. Mainly regarding a raid nerf, additional defenses, stockades/tbc's and no counter measures to any of this, not even petty crimes or whatsoever. The Devs initially did a good job adding more depth into the game and more incentive such as new creatures, more witchcraft mechanics, additional skills, artifacts and clothings and so on.

But they completely countered the perma-death aspects, drama and the more interesting parts which made this game unique. The things you are referring to are mainly prior to all these changes. Right now, basically since 2016 this game is a glorified farm-ville without interesting large towns and people playing intensively against or with eachother. Thats all in the past sadly, the far majority is a hermit now while enjoying building his base and tending their fields.

The expeditions were fun for a couple of weeks, but they were just a sign of their lack/will to balance the game out perfectly. Both Marp and John have said that neither would enjoy this game as it stood around 2017, nor that they would be able to do the things they done and enjoyed prior to Providence.

It would be great to see this game under more serious developers again, but the chances of that ever happening would be extremely small due to various reasons and it would not be a gaurantee that the game will do any better.

Just look at that ocean of tears... you know it's a special game if someone who "quit" long ago still roams the (admittedly dead) forum (discord > forums) even years later.

It's well worth playing, ofc depending on what you want to do, there still is drama, there still are big scalps getting collected every now and then, and there is a vast, mostly untouched world to explore...
But yes, the forum is not really active anymore, it all moved to discord.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Judaism » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:43 am

Taipion wrote:Just look at that ocean of tears... you know it's a special game if someone who "quit" long ago still roams the (admittedly dead) forum (discord > forums) even years later.

It's well worth playing, ofc depending on what you want to do, there still is drama, there still are big scalps getting collected every now and then, and there is a vast, mostly untouched world to explore...

No-one said that it wasn't a special game, it just made a turn for the worse. Also he is not asking if casuals/carebears are enjoying the game. He specifically is referring to drama and the old days, none of that he will find in the current game, alongside its remaining playerbase.

I have long given up on this game and the devs, my last serious game-time was around end 2016, (if you do not count the most recent expedition) but it will forever hold a special spot in my heart. Alongside if they ever were to made another expedition or would actually balance the game, I would gladly spent some fresh time into it. Very little of this can be credited to Mortal Moments tho.

Also I have many memories/experience with drama he is referring too. I was chased on Plymouth by the tribe, I have had interaction with players like Mushibag, Realak, Colesie, Jax, Alloin and so many more. Made enemies of the tribe and Candy Gang on Roanoke. Did some trashtalking and was one of the few wandering around on Jamestown with a cthulhu mask. Some good encounters on Providence such as all the KKK drama, fighting the pirates and wiping them out and blowing large hits against all the other players/factions from then. Lost some against Darwoth and Godtown but ultimately did a decent job regarding the vast majority.

Point is those are the things that were enjoyable and not something trivial as an endless base builder simulator, or a mindless farmgame while raising stats for no real purpose. None of that is present in the current game in any comparable way. In 2016 it still was somehow fun because you had Darwoth and people like Heffernan/Grand Turde trying to resist and people trash-talking or mixing up in drama, but the raid nerfs afterwards just ruined it completely.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Taipion » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:40 am

Judaism wrote:
Taipion wrote:Just look at that ocean of tears... you know it's a special game if someone who "quit" long ago still roams the (admittedly dead) forum (discord > forums) even years later.

No-one said that it wasn't a special game, it just made a turn for the worse. Also he is not asking if casuals/carebears are enjoying the game. He specifically is referring to drama and the old days, none of that he will find in the current game, alongside its remaining playerbase.

I have long given up on this game and the devs, my last serious game-time was around end 2016, (if you do not count the most recent expedition) but it will forever hold a special spot in my heart. Alongside if they ever were to made another expedition or would actually balance the game, I would gladly spent some fresh time into it. Very little of this can be credited to Mortal Moments tho.

Also I have many memories/experience with drama he is referring too. I was chased on Plymouth by the tribe, I have had interaction with players like Mushibag, Realak, Colesie, Jax, Alloin and so many more. Made enemies of the tribe and Candy Gang on Roanoke. Did some trashtalking and was one of the few wandering around on Jamestown with a cthulhu mask. Some good encounters on Providence such as all the KKK drama, fighting the pirates and wiping them out and blowing large hits against all the other players/factions from then. Lost some against Darwoth and Godtown but ultimately did a decent job regarding the vast majority.

Point is those are the things that were enjoyable and not something trivial as an endless base builder simulator, or a mindless farmgame while raising stats for no real purpose. None of that is present in the current game in any comparable way. In 2016 it still was somehow fun because you had Darwoth and people like Heffernan/Grand Turde trying to resist and people trash-talking or mixing up in drama, but the raid nerfs afterwards just ruined it completely.

Yea, thanks for proving my point.
As I said, drama is (mostly) going on in discord nowadays and probably not as much as it used to be back when the forums were an active place, but it's still there every now an then, and sometimes people even find the time to make forum posts about it.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Judaism » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:24 am

Taipion wrote:You're absolutely right Juda

Yeah I know man, thanks for argeeing.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Taipion » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:20 am

Judaism wrote:
Taipion wrote:Yea, thanks for proving my point.
As I said, drama is (mostly) going on in discord nowadays and probably not as much as it used to be back when the forums were an active place, but it's still there every now an then, and sometimes people even find the time to make forum posts about it.

Yeah I know man, thanks for argeeing.

What would we do without you and Zodd?! ...forums would run out of tears in no time...
Taipion

Next

Return to House of Burgesses