Posting Game Suggestions Everyday Til JC Acknowledges Salem

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Posting Game Suggestions Everyday Til JC Acknowledges Sa

Postby pistolshrimp » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:43 am

*Long Suggestion to "celebrate" our 2 month anniversary.*

Day 61: Poisoncraft Additions and Spiking Drinks

Note: Crime changes mentioned earlier make going to the stocks no longer a death sentence, nor permanently reduce biles.

Crafting darts no longer drops scents.

New Recipe: Unlocked from Alchemy: Jar of Alcohol - .5 liters of any Distilled Alcohol (Vodka or Moonshine) + Glass Jar + Glass Vial + Cork. A Jar of Alcohol can be placed in a Alchemy Table. When placed inside an Alchemy Table it opens like a Steam Distiller with room for a single item.

Items that can be placed inside are Any Fruit Seed, Any Domesticated Animal Manure, Big Reds, Waning Toadstools, or Spooky Recaps.

After 2 days the item placed inside a Jar of Alcohol will be replaced with a Glass Vial filled with .1 liters of: Cyanide if the original item was Any Fruit Seed, Anthrax if the original item was Any Domesticated Animal Manure, Atropine if the original item was a Big Red, or Amatoxin if the original item was either a Waning Toadstool or Spooky Recap.

Each time a Jar of Alcohol is used to make a toxin it must be removed, giving back the Glass Jar and the Cork.

New Recipe: unlocked with Glass Blowing, and Illicit Pharmacology: Tincture and Dropper. 1x Glass, requires the use of a crucible. A Tincture and Dropper holds .5 liters of any Toxin (Amatoxin, Anthrax, or Cyanide) or any Hard Alcohol (Hard Cider, Moonshine, Vodka, Wine).

Poisoning a Player

With the poisoncraft skill unlocked and a Glass Vial or Tincture and Dropper with Any Toxin in it, right-clicking another player will give you the option to "Spike Drink" if they have any Drinking Vessel (such as a Flask, Bark Cup, Goat Horn) with at least .1 liter of liquid equipped. Spiking a Drink has a short 2 second animation which if interrupted will cause you to drop Poisoncraft scents. Additionally a Glass Vial or Tincture and Dropper with Any Toxin can be right-clicked on any Drinking Vessel with at least .1 liter of liquid in your Inventory to Spike it as well.

If a Spiked Drinking Vessel ever becomes empty it will become a normal Drinking Vessel.

Spiked Drinking Vessels look exactly the same as unspiked drinking vessels however when sipped from they will poison the drinker. Being Poisoned does not have an icon at all, in fact a poisoned player will not know they are poisoned. Being poisoned give adds the increased bile drain that alcohol gives and removes the low cap on the corresponding bile.

Amatoxin - Black Bile
Anthrax - Yellow Bile
Atropine - Blood
Cyanide - Phlegm

What this means is that normally when you do an activity which would push you lower than 0 of a bile that action is canceled and a warning message is given, something like "You Do Not Have Enough of X Bile to Complete this Action." If a player is poisoned the action will not be cancelled and will allow you to complete it causing your character to be knocked out.

A player can only be 1 type of poisoned at a time. The most recent poison they have consumed. A player will remain poisoned until they are cured or they become knocked out. Becoming Knocked Out due to poison pops up a message and a tutorial help text so newer players know what just happened.

Antidote is sold by the stall vendor for 500 silver, however the Mason's Doctor Sells them for 3 IOUs.

Additional methods to Spike a Drink

Drinks can also be Spiked with a Glass Vial or Tincture and Dropper with Hard Alcohol. Drinking from a Vessel Spiking with Distilled Hard Alcohol will give that player the benefits of that alcohol for 10 minutes and then immediately cause DTs. This effect can stack with Toxin Poisoning so that the drain can be double temporarily. If a player already has the Drunk buff drinking from a vessel spiked with a Hard Alcohol will have no affect.
pistolshrimp

Mining Overhaul 1+2

Postby pistolshrimp » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:13 am

Day 62: Mining Overhaul Part 1

Purity on metals are removed. (Note: Switch from Purity to "Perfect" status for cooking largely made purity here irrelevant)

Mine phlegm drain is reversed. Mining at the first level costs significantly more phlegm than currently and mining on level 8 costs significantly less. Mining Bonus now also gives a chance at a "Lucky Strike" which when mining mines out the boulder in one hit, or instantly chips the entire boulder when chipping.

Whetstones are longer received when chipping Rubble, Lime, Granite, Obsidian, or Stone Boulders. Whetstones do not have purity, but have a chance to be Perfect. This chance is dependent on the mine level the ore the whetstone was chipped from came from. IE a whetstone chipped from copper ore has a higher chance of being perfect from level 8 than level 1. Using a whetstone on a weapon changes it name to "Honed WEAPON NAME" and using a perfect whetstone changes its name to "Perfectly Honed WEAPON NAME", these give a bonus of 5 and 10% damage respectively.

Mining boulders no longer spawns bats. Mine downs no longer spawn bats. Mine down no longer deal blood damage. Cave-In's guaranteed to spawn bats.

Starting at level 5 the interior of the mine has a procedural generated layout with a similar starting point but with a few random tunnels and rooms. Starting at level 5 there will be monsters which spawn each time that level is loaded. In one of the randomly generated rooms there is a Monster Idol which if it is destroyed than the monsters will no longer spawn on that level.

Level 5: Bats
Level 6 Bats, with a Giant Bat guarding the Monster Idol.
Level 7: Bats, Giant Bats, and Snow Wassets.

New Creature Snow Wasset: These will also spawn in Snow areas in the over world.
Aggresive Quetzalcoatl-esque creature. Non-poisonous although it can also use "Constrict" move.
Gives: Raw Snow Wasset Hide, Brains, Cougar Meats, Darkenbones.
Rare inspirational item: Diminutive Leg (chance of getting this item higher underground than killing a Snow Wasset in the above world) and Pacinian Corpuscle which is an artifact that gives a bonus to mining, spell power, feral and common combat defense.

A Monster Idol once broken can be repair using a Shining Trapezohedron. As reaching level 9 still means opening your mine up to dreamworld that means it is possible for someone to enter your mine and repair your monster idols without your knowledge. Or if you simply want to farm a particular type of monster again you can repair and destroy at will.

Day 63: Mining Overhaul Part 2 - Level 8

I separated Level 8 because I want to go into my thoughts on this level in a little more depth.

Digging we find evidence of the Lost Colony so my thinking here is that the lost colony must have gone underground. But obviously living underground has messed them up. Think the movie "Decent" or the Falmer from Skyrim. Therefor the Monster of this level should be "Lost Colonist" using a semi-human model they should be naked, blind and ugly.

Lost Colonists hunt by smell, meaning they are more aggressive the lower the tier your perfume is. High tier perfumes confused their senses and you may even be able to walk past. They can also permakill a KO-ed pilgrim with the chance of perma killing being based on chance and the tier of perfume worn by the pilgrim.

Ever wonder where the items that despawn go? The Lost Colonists come out when no one is around and grabs them. The system now remembers all item that despawn on the ground. Whenever an Lost Colonist is butchered you get 50 random items from that list. Butchering is done instantaneously and does not produce wear on your knife. If the overall list for whatever reason has less than 50 items left you get a random 5 items that exist in the game. Lost Colonists have no skinning option, although butchering rarely gives a Swathe of Human Flesh.

Once level 8 is reached, if the Monster Idol is not smashed. There is a small chance of them spawning on any other levels where the Monster Idol remains.

If the level 8 Monster Idol is repaired their is the chance of spawning an Enraged Lost Colonist which is more aggressive, deals more damage but gives 75 items off the despawned items list and has a higher chance of giving a Swathe of Human Flesh.
pistolshrimp

Postby Taipion » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:34 pm

I'd prefer leaving the % system for whetstones as it is, there's no need to streamline it all.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby pistolshrimp » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:38 pm

Taipion wrote:I'd prefer leaving the % system for whetstones as it is, there's no need to streamline it all.

I feel that, it's just that I'm gonna make a bunch of suggestions building off the metal and mining changes which affect and complicate weapon damage, similar to how the different woods making up the ship's rudder has both positive and negative stats.
pistolshrimp

Postby pistolshrimp » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:42 pm

Day 64: Mining Overhaul Part 3 - Mine Carts

New Skill: Mine Carts, unlocked from Mining, Pulleys and Levers, and Blacksmithing

New Recipes:
Iron Rail = 3x Wrought Iron, 2x Oiled Boards, 4x Nails. Makes 5x Iron Rails
Steel Rail = 3x Blistersteel, 2x Oiled Boards, 4x Nails. Makes 5x Steel Rails

Iron and Steel Rails can be used to pave and obviously have a train rail-esque graphic. Only can be paved in mines.

New Vehicle:
Mine Cart: 40 Dry Board, 20 Planned Board, 5 Oiled Boards, 10 Nails, 2x Blistersteel. A mine cart can hold 20 boulders of any sort. A Mine Cart can technically work above ground, either pulled or attached to a Draft Horse however it will move incredibly slow. It's main function with be for used underground. When underground right-clicking a Mine Cart that is on a Rail pavement tile and selecting "Send To" brings up a menu of the different levels of your mine which the Mine-Down Entrance is connected to the Mine-Up ramp via rail pavement tiles. Selecting that level will send your Mine Cart to the level you selected's Mine-Down Entrance.

Mine Carts can also be pulled but move slower than a sled, however when being pulled on Rail pavement they move faster than Cart. The send to function does not work for mine levels that still have intact Monster Idols.

Wear
Every 20 times the Send To action is used which crosses a particular Mine Level the Iron Rails have a chance to decay 20%. Every 50 times Steel Rails have a chance to decay. Both Iron and Steel rails are repaired with Iron Bars.

Day 65: Mining Overhaul Part 4 - New Types of Ore

*These changes add more depth to mining and give more incentive to mine deeper.*

New Boulders:
Salt Boulder (Mentioned in Salt Changes)
Lead Boulder ---> 6x Lead Ore
Tin Boulder ---> 6x Tin Ore
Gold Ore Boulder ---> 6x Gold Ore
Cinnabar Boulder ---> 6x Cinnabar

Chance of finding a vein of each type of boulder generally increased the further down one mines.

Last edited by pistolshrimp on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
pistolshrimp

Postby reeper_aut » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:06 pm

lucky strike should scatter rubble / ore on the ground
lost colonists are still humans -> butchering gives lots of insanity or something similar

how about lakes or puddles of water underground? coal? granite? lime? etc.?
stamp mill should also get storage for boulders so you can put at least 2 boulders in to be chipped

question:
how do you get a mine cart to or from a lvl with an intact monster idol?
what about mines that have several lvls of lets say lvl 6 or do you get only 1 mine down per lvl?
reeper_aut

Postby Taipion » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:40 pm

Yea, that pathing question for mine carts is kinda important.

I'd suggest you can build train stops near the rails and name them, take inspiration from factorio if need be. :D
Then chose a train stop as target and move there with the mine cart actually moving, you can sit inside one! ^^
- The mine cart consumes coal for movement.
- You can connect up to xxx mine carts, each additional cart adds +xx% fuel consumption for movement
- you can add a coal cart that works as a mobile coal-stockbin and adds less fuel consumption than additional mine carts
- actually, you'd also need a locomotive of sorts to make that all work and make sense^^
- you can still pull/push a mine cart or "train of carts" without a locomotive, therefore you rightclick the "train" and select "push" or "pull" or so, and then select the target as if using a locomotive, you'll be slower and using phlegm and a tiny bit YB while moving, but you'll get there ;) ...possible to also use animals instead of yourself for that

Depending on what is possible or feasible, you can either chose from any target train stop that is connected to your current rail network in the whole mine including all mine lvls,
or
you can chose from any train stop in the connected network on your current mine lvl only + you can build "signs" on mine-downs and name them,
they thereby function as train stop, and if chosen as target, you will enter them once you reach them,
no need to name ladders that go up, as there is only one up-ladder per mine lvl, which is a "train stop" target by default in any connected network

- trains count as one object including all parts including the locomotive and driving player(s) and push/pull-ing players/animals and transit through mine-downs / up-ladders at once
-"trains" of any kind, including the connected locomotive, pull/push-ing player or animal, are counted as one object and have no collision checks with other trains that also have a moving entity connected and are currently moving,
to prevent really bad things from happening,
in addition, this "no clip" is also effective in close proximity to mine-downs / up-ladders so you do not accidentially get stuck if a train or carts ended up there for whatever reason (like, someone crashed after loading a mine lvl),
I mean, just imagine you go through a mine-down / up-ladder and your train sits inside a train that is parked there... no no no

Rails decaying with use is rather counter intuitive, instead:
- rails do not decay
- better metal rails give a speed bonus for the mine cart
- mine cart decays very slowly with use and may need repairs every now and then, better carts decay slower, but all use the same basic iron bars to repair, better carts should be a lot more expensive though

[edit]: @pistol, what about that gold ore from everything? I don't get it why all those boulders should give gold ore, and the same amount on top?!
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby pistolshrimp » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:46 am

I like all the train ideas but they feel just slightly too modern for Salem. There was a lot of good stuff there tho, especially about the nuances of pathing.

Taipion wrote:[edit]: @pistol, what about that gold ore from everything? I don't get it why all those boulders should give gold ore, and the same amount on top?!

Ye... copy paste at it's worst. Good catch.
pistolshrimp

Postby pistolshrimp » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:48 am

Day 67: Mining Overhaul Part 5 - Processing Changes

Stamp Mill capacity increased to 2,000 stones and holds items more like a stockbin where you can scroll stones out of it, rather than seeing individual stones. Stamp Mills have a small radius, any boulder inside that radius will be automatically stamped until the max capacity is reached.

Stockbins now accept Any Stone and can hold 400 of any stone. Using specific types of stone that currently have different storage numbers uses the old values (ie granite, lime, rubble).

New structure: Cradle. 4x planned boards, 8x stone, 10x dry board, 4x fibre netting, 1x wrought iron, 1x wooden handle.
A Cradle has an inventory that can hold 20x rubble. Right-click and selecting "Rock" will sift the rubble and replace any rubble with any gem/black sand, gold, etc that was within that rubble.
pistolshrimp

Postby Taipion » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:07 am

pistolshrimp wrote:I like all the train ideas but they feel just slightly too modern for Salem. There was a lot of good stuff there tho, especially about the nuances of pathing.

Well then, just scratch out the locomotive part and use animals or players as moving force. :-)
Rails themself and mine carts should be ok.

...this would result in funny stuff though, just think of it:
- ideally you'd have a donkey or so ready to pull your carts whenever you go down into your mine to do mining
- but you can't just leave a donkey in your mine without food for too long, so you either have a barn or stable or so near your mine, where you need to take care of such animals all the time, or
- you could just log out an alt with sufficient stats and food in inv near the carts and use that one as a donkey instead :D
What do you think would most people prefer?^^

I guess some sort of "machine" locomotive would be possible, or would it be too far out of place for salem?

[edit]: Regarding the stones, a stockbin should hold any stone instead of just granite, lime, rubble and dross, you can't put in plain stones though those 4 all count as any stone, idk why anyone would do it that way to begin with. :D
Taipion

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations