Relax on new players

Forum for In-Game politics, relations, matters of justice, and other in-game topics.

Re: Relax on new players

Postby Taipion » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:35 am

Chrumps wrote:Madness is fine as it is. It is quite manageable, even more with milk. If you are having problems with madness, you must be doing something wrong. Perhaps it could be better but it is not currently driving away as many people as hypothermia does.

Hypothermia on the other hand still needs a lot of polishing.
For once the help screen shown on the first page does not mention warm stones which are easiest way to deal with cold and can be made in the fireplaces in providence. It also does not mention entering a house which is even easier way to temporarily shake off cold effects. It does instead recommend more advanced means that are not readily available to a new player.

Second, there could be some permanent fires setup along paths in providence, allowing new players to move semi-safely around the town, at least far enough to grab some reeds. Sadly, as I have been told it would still require JC presence to setup such things.

There could be some larpy things like repurposing braziers to provide heat for players, there could be a homeless shelter to provide easy and extremally risky homestead so returning players could logout, there could be an NPC handing out fish broth or warm stones for some cheap stuff like berries or just branches. But all of these require coding, not just placing structures, so I do not expect it to happen soon if ever at all.


First off, there's the bug that coldness is checked every 6s but heating things like hot stones only every 30s so you may prevent freezing in general, but you'll still be slowed 24 out of every 30 seconds.
Which makes clothing the only real way to deal with it, which is still easy to do.

Asides from that, torches are still easy to get, and easier to manage than hot stones, and much more efficient.

And the rest sounds quite a bit overkill for such a simple thing. ^^
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion
 
Posts: 2466
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Re: Relax on new players

Postby Amnezia88 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:05 am

Chrumps wrote:things

It might not talk about the warm stones but it DOES talk about entering a house or structure to counter the effects. Also we have a fireplace in town, all it takes is for this lovely community to throw a woodblock or twig on it every once a while and maybe, just maybe a kind soul would light it when the fire dims. That said, a new player should able to learn how 2 maek fire, I mean c'mon.

We also have structures in town, new players can enter without any requirements. Sure, some fun things could be added like the npc selling broth that you mentioned but other than that I dont see the point. Again, like me and others have said, there are plenty of options for you to counter it, might be tough at start sure but it's more than doable.
Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying levels of guilt.
User avatar
Amnezia88
Customer
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:31 am
Location: Holland

Re: Relax on new players

Postby toddesloan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:32 am

I sleep naked all the time. Colder the better.

Image
BigCountry
The Clintons (William and Hillary)

http://www.twitch.tv/bigcountry74/profile
User avatar
toddesloan
Customer
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:58 pm
Location: Gastonia NC

Re: Relax on new players

Postby Chrumps » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:25 am

Taipion wrote:stuff

Missing the point as usual.
It is about giving newbs limited safety for the time while they start reading wiki.
Supposedly there is a grace period but it seems it is not working atm. Also grace period is perhaphs not the best way to solve it. Cold should be a nuisance from the beginning but should not kill new players.
Also the bug is not even relevant because it is fine that warm stones/fireplace/torch method does not give full freedom from cold but only limited relief. Though I would prefer it came through a controlled design than through a bug.

Amnezia88 wrote:stuff

Indeed houses are mentioned at the end of the help screen but it should came first as it is quite often most readily available option.
Regarding keeping a fire there, most people seem not to give a ***** about it.

toddesloan wrote:Incoherent babble

Keep circlejerking and pretending everything is perfect.
Chrumps
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Relax on new players

Postby Rifmaster » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Everyone needs to realize that this isn't about the fact that it's doable for new players. It's about the fact that salem sucks at new player retention, and hypothermia among other things is clearly the reason.
So swallow your "hardcore salemite" pride, and suggest solutions.
If you insist that this isn't a problem, then suggest another reason that new players (and I mean like 20min-1h in new players) are quitting.
User avatar
Rifmaster
 
Posts: 1696
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Chernobyl

Re: Relax on new players

Postby gorniksam » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:48 pm

i like to swallow
steeloxidex wrote:Lel, this game is ****, you probably all only play it because you have garbage computers that cant play real games.

I am going to go play some real games. LOL scrubs.

Image
User avatar
gorniksam
 
Posts: 2192
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:49 am
Location: heffernan's heart

Re: Relax on new players

Postby Amnezia88 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Rifmaster wrote:If you insist that this isn't a problem, then suggest another reason that new players (and I mean like 20min-1h in new players) are quitting.

The reason is that they're a bunch of crybabies who are used to games that chews everything out for them. As said in my first post, and as sad as it may seem, if they can't overcome this minor speedbump this is not the game for them. There are probably 10, maybe even more other or 'better' reasons why a new player would quit. Changing this is like bringing water to the ocean, you'll have another 'newbie ruining mechanic' thread in another month. It's pointless imho.
Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying levels of guilt.
User avatar
Amnezia88
Customer
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:31 am
Location: Holland

Re: Relax on new players

Postby Rifmaster » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:42 pm

Amnezia88 wrote:
Rifmaster wrote:If you insist that this isn't a problem, then suggest another reason that new players (and I mean like 20min-1h in new players) are quitting.

The reason is that they're a bunch of crybabies who are used to games that chews everything out for them. As said in my first post, and as sad as it may seem, if they can't overcome this minor speedbump this is not the game for them. There are probably 10, maybe even more other or 'better' reasons why a new player would quit. Changing this is like bringing water to the ocean, you'll have another 'newbie ruining mechanic' thread in another month. It's pointless imho.


This is why i brought up Don't Starve. It is a difficult game, with permadeath, that I personally have suggested to some of my friends who play more mainstream games, and most of them enjoyed it.

Other than this, there is ***** of people who enjoy a challenge. They're the people who play games on the highest difficulty and they aren't that rare. They would also quickly lose interest in salem, despite their ability to handle a challenge.

There is many games that are just as or even more difficult than salem, and they have lots of players. This alone clearly denies the validity of the "oh it's just not for everyone" argument.
User avatar
Rifmaster
 
Posts: 1696
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Chernobyl

Re: Relax on new players

Postby Taipion » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:29 pm

- Dragging arguments out of your ass isn't "proving" anything.
- If you quit because of hypothermia, and there would be no hypothermia, you would quit anyways for another reason later, be it madness or open pvp with open loot and permadeath or anything else.
- Without JC here, all this discussion is pointless.
- I, for myself, refuse to argue and discuss something as trivial in a thread that was made by a deliberate troll alt that is probably bleuwolf or simon or someone like that.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion
 
Posts: 2466
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Re: Relax on new players

Postby campercamper » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:28 pm

[quote="Taipion"-]
- I, for myself, refuse to argue and discuss something as trivial in a thread that was made by a deliberate troll alt that is probably bleuwolf or simon or someone like that.[/quote]

Then stop replying. Also you are wrong lol. On many points.
campercamper
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:28 pm

PreviousNext

Return to House of Burgesses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest