Remove snakes.

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Remove snakes.

Postby steeloxidex » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:43 pm

Remove snakes that pop out of stumps. They ruin the new player experience.

Spent hours and hours trying to gather Indian feathers so I can actually start playing your game and I was fine with having to do that.

Had a nice pile of loot too: https://imgur.com/a/kJVMyef

But suddenly a snake bites me and I get knocked out in less than 30 seconds and bam. All my loot is gone, entire day wasted. Literally nothing I could do to stop it.

What a fun new player experience! Oh boy I cant wait to do that again!! /sarcasm

I am perfectly fine with the full loot perma death pvp and all that hardcore stuff, but when it comes to stuff that you are unable to see coming or prepare for and have no way of counteracting yet have no choice of dealing with, that's garbage design.

Ever wonder that it might be things like this that keep this game from becoming popular at all? I was damn ready to invest time and money into this game until that snake ***** me in the ass. Now I have no desire to play whatsoever and instead I will be closing this window and wont be returning.
steeloxidex
Customer

Re: Remove snakes.

Postby Taipion » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:04 pm

steeloxidex wrote:Remove snakes that pop out of stumps. They ruin the new player experience.

Spent hours and hours trying to gather Indian feathers so I can actually start playing your game and I was fine with having to do that.

Had a nice pile of loot too: https://imgur.com/a/kJVMyef

But suddenly a snake bites me and I get knocked out in less than 30 seconds and bam. Literally nothing I could do to stop it. All my loot is gone, entire day wasted.

What a fun new player experience! Oh boy I cant wait to do that again!! /sarcasm

I am perfectly fine with the full loot perma death pvp and all that hardcore stuff, but when it comes to stuff that you are unable to see coming or prepare for and have no way of counteracting yet have no choice of dealing with, that's garbage design.

Ever wonder that it might be things like this that keep this game from becoming popular at all? I was damn ready to invest time and money into this game until that snake ***** me in the ass. Now I have no desire to play whatsoever.

1st: snakes that are spawned by lifting an old log move away first, usually, I can't remember one biting me right away, if you pay attention, this is np at all

2nd: running around, as a new player that just started, with all that loot... don't do that, there are more things that can KO or even kill you, it takes 30s to build a leanto somewhere, have an alt at your base or interim camp as an anchor to find back there if you are bad with mapping (takes 5 minutes to make one), and you can also use that alt to trade via provi, OR just sell it every once in a while, silver stacks in your inv do NOT drop if you KO

3rd: you could have just as well been raided, or ran into another (for this example not so friendly) player that simply KOed you or you ran into a "hanged man" event and did some mistakes there to kill you with madness in minutes, or you could have done a dozend other things to kill yourself unexpectedly, getting bitten by a snake, even if spawned by an old log, is one of the more expectable and manageable things to happen

4th: just to make that clear, as said in "2nd" point, this loss was completely avoidable
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Nikixos » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:42 pm

lmao ragequit for losing less than 2000 silver
srsly you are lucky you got that much and dumb for not selling right away
Image Image
Nikixos

Postby Rifmaster » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:14 am

tbh i've had this happen to me a few years ago, and most times you do not have time to react. That snake just pops out and bites you.
It is very unreasonable to expect a new player to keep playing after losing an entire day's worth of playtime. A player who is quite invested into the game will of course keep playing, but a newbie will simply say ***** that, and never play again.
With the current state of the game that is no way to treat a new player.
Rifmaster

Postby lachlaan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:50 am

So what happens when you're allowed to play farmville for a month and then you get steamrolled and lose a month worth of progress instead of a day's worth of progress?

How is a new player supposed to learn to stash their loot often if there's no risk of losing it at any moment? How is anyone meant to get used to keeping an eye on their surroundings when 90% of the time there's nothing around to disturb you?

If you don't want to spawn snakes under logs don't lift logs, problem is solved once you realize that's a thing that happens.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby gorniksam » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:01 am

omg, remove crybabies from saslem pls
gorniksam

Postby steeloxidex » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:31 am

I had been KO'd a couple times before to bears and lions and other things with just as much loot in my inventory but those deaths didn't bother me at all because if I was paying attention I could have avoided it.

Sure I could have went and sold my stuff but I didn't care because if I died by another player or a bear or some **** I would have been fine with that. I was just about to head to town anyways when the snake crawled up my ass.

The snake spawned and bit me the moment I opened the stump. There was no time to avoid it. Not fine with that.

I wouldn't give two ***** if there was some kind of warning like a sound or something that I could react to but no, nothing, just instant KO.

Call me a crybaby all you want, I care not what you think of me personally. :D
steeloxidex
Customer

Postby steeloxidex » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:39 am

Taipion wrote:4th: just to make that clear, as said in "2nd" point, this loss was completely avoidable

Just to make myself clear, the "loss" is not what bothered me. Its the manner in witch the loss came about.

My goodness, this community's reputation certainly preceded it but I didn't think it was this negative towards new players. I knew I shouldn't expect much coming back to read the comments. You guys making LIF community feel cozy.
steeloxidex
Customer

Postby lachlaan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:55 am

Well, what can i say, git gud scrub.

Nah just kidding, the point remains though that the game is harsh and most things will be unavoidable with your current amount of knowledge. That's the whole point, you learn after being unable to deal with it. Consider that had you sold your stash and kept serum on you you'd have spent what, an 8th of your earnings to be prepared against 10 of those unfair attacks.

The reason people aren't cozy to new players is because most of them will come up with fixes like "remove snakes" instead of "advertise serum more, I feel like the native guide should've said <<And remember pilgrim, unless you have a very good friend to suck out the poison, it's best to keep rattler serum in your back for when you eventually meet the wrong end of a snek>> "
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Taipion » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:03 am

steeloxidex wrote:those deaths

You did not even die, you only KOed.

You may or may not have been KOed due to a harsh game mechanic or not paying attention, but you lost your loot for being careless.

After that, coming right away to the forums and crying for snake nerfs is a sure way to make yourself not at home here.

The community... at least a good part of it, is actually very friendly towards new players, especially if they don't cry like that. :lol:

In almost every one of those "help, I became a newbie icicle!" you see people offering clothing and other help to those unfortunate ice blocks,
ofc you can't expect that if you just come here and cry for changes like that.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations