Scents rework

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Scents rework

Postby Rifmaster » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:05 pm

Ronch wrote:
Rifmaster wrote:whut

ZoddAlmighty wrote:Self-medication.

Neither one of you trolling jealous resentful coat-tail-riders are capable of bringing justice to anyone on your own, anywhere on the game's map, the light-side or the dark-side.
So, it's probably best to just leave the answer where it resides ---> (way over your head) ;)

Then leave a scent for me on your main. Let's test it out.
Rifmaster

Postby Ronch » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Rifmaster wrote:Then leave a scent for me on your main. Let's test it out.

Yeah, that is going to happen...
Last edited by Ronch on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby nosfirebird » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:09 pm

-1 far to much time would have to go into coding that just fix whats actually wrong with raiding/crime to bring everyone back.
nosfirebird

Postby Chrumps » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:50 am

Heffernan wrote:ezy pezy let me just store my criminals at the top left or bottom left of the map in big darkness and you have double drain getting there making it impossible tracking them unless u use a titan.

Some people might be not realizing that but Wander, Forage and Run (and Sprint) movement modes incurr bile drain. I am talking about bile drain comparable to Wander or Forage modes.
Also I have been mapping one of map corners not long ago on a 40 bile alt, using, you guess, wander walking mode. Not that big deal, though you may call this alt a "titan" if you want.

Where the real titans come into play is the bonus from insanely high proficiencies. One of objectives of the idea was to mitigate usefulness of alts and create a meaningful ranger profession.

AudriePlanck wrote:One of the best reasons of having scents not require any prelims is to give justice where it is due.
If you want to complain about something with scents, go make a post of TbC's instead, not this.

Lol, I did, Captain Obvious.

AudriePlanck wrote:(P.S. this system is basically haven and hearths crime/scent system)

What's wrong about it ?
And, no, it is not, in H&H it is just Perception∗Exploration vs Intelligence∗Stealth
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Abilities#Stealth
Chrumps

Postby AudriePlanck » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:20 pm

Chrumps wrote:
AudriePlanck wrote:(P.S. this system is basically haven and hearths crime/scent system)

What's wrong about it ?
And, no, it is not, in H&H it is just Perception∗Exploration vs Intelligence∗Stealth
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Abilities#Stealth

Basically your idea and Havens system is the same. Thats what I said if you couldn't read properly. I didn't say it was exactly the same but you have scaling proficiencies that affect the difficulty of seeing a scent regardless of what other tidbits you sprinkled in about scent lifetime, etc.

As you guessed it, Havens system is a scaling vs. stats. But let me spell it out for you cause you apparently don't know the words YOU typed yourself.

Chrumps wrote: Cloak & Dagger, Arts & Crafts and Law & Lore each add to scent difficulty level.

Chrumps wrote: the C&D, F&W, L&L proficiencies give bonus to detection level.

And just because it says only up to 15 points bonus doesn't mean its not similar.
AudriePlanck

Postby Chrumps » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:57 pm

I never believed I would call someone retarded in this forum, but here he/she is: Audrie Planck.

If you did not realize that so far, the whole scent and most of crime system is copied from first version of Hearth and Haven, including types of scents, tracking toggle, summoning and even how long scents last is similar.
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/scent - for reference

If you want to continue ***** on how I copied H&H system which is "some stats of criminal" vs "some stats of ranger" you may also go even further and ***** about I am talking abouts scents at all, which is clearly a copy from H&H, about tracking them which is also a copy, and about how it is in both cases applied to a MMOG which is totally copied.
Chrumps

Postby Ronch » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:36 pm

Whether Chrump's details of humor cost of tracking is acceptable to the majority of players or not is beside the point IMO.
The cost can be worked out if more folks will contribute to the discussion.

The only point that I want to make and will emphasize here is that it should cost more to track scents than it currently does now, period.
...I tracked a scent from a friend's Town that I was considering joining, I tracked that scent for well over an hour with only a two day old character just weeks after I began playing Salem.
I did this without having to invest in any prerequisite skills to track that criminal for well over an hour.
(This shouldn't be a capability that a low-humored-new-character starts off with)
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby lachlaan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:47 pm

I can see where you're going with this but I think you're selling yourself short, Chrumps. Any self-respecting raider, unlike the noobs commenting negatively on your idea, will tell you that such meager safety measures aren't quite enough to make raiding worth it again.

As such, I suggest one final skill to the skillset you would have raiders accrue : "Massive *****". This skill would at the same time increase scent tracking difficulty by 1000 while constantly displaying a big red flashing sign above the player's head for all eternity with exactly the skill's name on it. Also at any given moment your character will make a sound chosen at random from a wide array of sounds ranging from babies crying to paranoid "Who's there?!?!" wails to the sound of the player fertilizing their diaper.

That is indeed the legacy of a raider, and I hope to see it implemented to the T as you've thought it out, plus my addendum of course.

Oh crap I also forgot to write all this in blue, my bad.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby AudriePlanck » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Chrumps wrote:I never believed I would call someone retarded in this forum, but here he/she is: Audrie Planck.

If you did not realize that so far, the whole scent and most of crime system is copied from first version of Hearth and Haven, including types of scents, tracking toggle, summoning and even how long scents last is similar.
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/scent - for reference

If you want to continue ***** on how I copied H&H system which is "some stats of criminal" vs "some stats of ranger" you may also go even further and ***** about I am talking abouts scents at all, which is clearly a copy from H&H, about tracking them which is also a copy, and about how it is in both cases applied to a MMOG which is totally copied.

No really? It was made by the same people after all so most things stayed the same in a sense, I'm well aware of that.

However, making a system more complicated does not automatically make it a better system, the way it is is the way it should be.
AudriePlanck

Postby Chrumps » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:30 am

I am personally ok with the system where people can mass produce single-use alts with skills barely sufficient for a given task, in the case of tracking - a zero scalp inherited noob without childish things even and in the case of basic crime a not-even-40-bb alt with larceny. It is the pvp part of player base who complain about people not using higher bile chars outside their walls. So, well, pick up your **** together and decide if you want to encourage or discourage the alts game.
Chrumps

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations