Full Clothes for new players

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Full Clothes for new players

Postby kemil88 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:20 am

The most annoying thing when starting this game is not being even able to play the game if it's Cold Snap season, unless you are a real life Oracle, you can't prevent Solid Freeze if you start during Cold Snap season, because you don't even know that's a thing, you know nothing, JHON SNOW!

Tip: New players start with untradable decaying clothes that will prevent Hypothermia, such clothes will decay after 1 week, meaning they will not be able to use them in the next Cold Snap
kemil88

Re: Full Clothes for new players

Postby Rifmaster » Fri May 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Nah, should just warn players in the tutorial to make some clothes and a torch before they leave it and get hypothermia.
Rifmaster

Postby kemil88 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:42 pm

You would be asking players to get skills and materials with limited ammount of resources while being unable to save...not a good idea imho
kemil88

Postby Rifmaster » Fri May 25, 2018 4:48 pm

2 branches, 9 tinder, 12 woodblocks and 30 ish reeds. That's pretty much all you need. Also either make a hovel or enter one of the buildings in prov to lose hypothermia.
Rifmaster

Postby kemil88 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Because the tutorial is not frustrating enought already :p
kemil88

Postby Dallane » Fri May 25, 2018 9:56 pm

You had plenty of time to get a warning and respond to it. Making beginner clothing and warming up rocks are extremely easy to do.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby kemil88 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 pm

I don't know what game you play or what knowledge you have but I found that even the easiest clothes requires to have AT LEAST Patches & Raggs, THEN you will need PLANT FIBERS or animal dried skins.
And yeah reeds can only be used for pajama reeds, unless you are lucky enought to find sturdy reeds, and that's not a skill you can easily get at the tutorial.
Guys just start the game from scratch and get a full set of clothes in the tutorial, then tell me how you did it.

P.S. Got no warnings abouth hypothermia, maybe because it's not my first character, and also I had no time to react since it's not like people start playing the game and after the tutorial they are like "oh, hypothermia, better craft a firepit, get a warm rock, and avoid getting frozen solid, all of that in like 5 minutes because the game thinks I am basically naked since the debuff is..." you know what a new player thinks? "wait, the debuff is not increasing, it's lowering, maybe it's a bug and I am getting warmer overtime, well, that's a relief, let's just ignore that and let the debuff get to 0 by itself"
kemil88

Postby Dallane » Fri May 25, 2018 11:25 pm

kemil88 wrote:I don't know what game you play or what knowledge you have but I found that even the easiest clothes requires to have AT LEAST Patches & Raggs, THEN you will need PLANT FIBERS or animal dried skins.
And yeah reeds can only be used for pajama reeds, unless you are lucky enought to find sturdy reeds, and that's not a skill you can easily get at the tutorial.
Guys just start the game from scratch and get a full set of clothes in the tutorial, then tell me how you did it.

P.S. Got no warnings abouth hypothermia, maybe because it's not my first character, and also I had no time to react since it's not like people start playing the game and after the tutorial they are like "oh, hypothermia, better craft a firepit, get a warm rock, and avoid getting frozen solid, all of that in like 5 minutes because the game thinks I am basically naked since the debuff is..." you know what a new player thinks? "wait, the debuff is not increasing, it's lowering, maybe it's a bug and I am getting warmer overtime, well, that's a relief, let's just ignore that and let the debuff get to 0 by itself"

lmao
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Rifmaster » Fri May 25, 2018 11:48 pm

You're frozen because the place your town is in is for very cold, i assume because it is far north.
You can survive a cold snap with jute clothes, pilgrim robes and a torch. If you couldn't, nobody would have gotten very far on concorde right?
Also, right click reeds on reeds to make reed fibre, to make jute clothes. And patchwork and rags takes like 2 random things you pick up from the ground to get. If you can't do that, then i suggest you stop playing right now.
Rifmaster

Postby Chrumps » Sat May 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Rifmaster wrote:[..] i suggest you stop playing right now.

That's what most potential new players do, supposedly.
And that is even if the current cold mechanics is way less ****** than it was initially.

I am not saying I am against it, but it still needs a lot of developer attention and currently it is doing no good, except it solves *) problem of naked troll alts half of the time.

*) solves = means now clothed troll alts are required ;)
Chrumps

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations