Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Re: Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Postby Heffernan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:03 am

Taipion wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:The primary issue btw is that I run body temperature calculations on the characters every 6 seconds. Parsing your whole inventory, all the objects around you for heat, and what is in your hand every 6 seconds seems like an unreasonable amount of server strain. The buff, however, attempts to warm you up every 30 seconds or so based on those things. I'll try to think of a more elegant solution but it is at least 'why' you see that behavior.

Yea that fits perfectly well to my observations.
- 30 sec cold debuff
- 6 sec no cold debuff
- repeat

[edit]:
How about counting all "sources of heat" the same way as thermal value from clothing?
And calculate all that together maybe every 15-30 seconds?
So taking a heated stone into your inv adds 10 to your thermal the same way as adding a piece of clothing with 10 thermal would do.
Same for torches, and fireplace buffs could be checked every 30 seconds and stay on/off for the next 30 sec until next check?

could also let us slot heated stones and various objects for Thermal.
Heffernan

Postby Nsuidara » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:51 am

JohnCarver wrote:Heated Stone = +10 Thermal Equivalent per stone.
Torch = +40 Thermal Equivalent when being held.
Standing near a fire = +80 Thermal Equivalent Per Fire.

add into list :D
* Wool Blanket increase the body temperature of a player when they cuddle up in them.
* Drinking Fish Broth, Meat Broth, Poultry Broth, Broth will counter the effects of hypothermia.

Heffernan wrote:could also let us slot heated stones and various objects for Thermal.

Slot Thermal sound fun xD
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby grapefruitv » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Makes more sense to be able to slot fur things that we already have (lamb skin, bunny tail and such) or be able to sew a fur collar on your clothes to raise it's thermal. If that can also come with alternative furry model for some coats that would be cool.
grapefruitv

Postby Zapt13 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:11 pm

But if the buff checks all of that stuff anyway, and everyone has the buff for 2/3 of cold snap anyway, the load is already great.

At least for the inventory thing, could you keep a hidden value as things enter and exit inventory of the thermal effect and then use that quantity rather than checking every character's 1023 items? Do items in backpacks count? Could you stop the evaluation once a sufficient thermal value is reached? Mild cold snap, clothing at +50, no hypothermia to cure, stop calculation?
Re-enter your signature!
Zapt13

Postby Taipion » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:27 pm

JohnCarver wrote:Heated Stone = +10 Thermal Equivalent per stone.
Torch = +40 Thermal Equivalent when being held.
Standing near a fire = +80 Thermal Equivalent Per Fire.

Fire giving 80 looks ok.
Torch giving 40... well, being immune to cold with 2 torches and no clothes at all ... idk ^^
Also, if you have a torch, you will likely have some basic clothing also.

Being technically "good" on total thermal, yet being at 97 cold debuff most of the time is pretty annoying,
mostly for one reason:
RUN is OFF if you have ANY cold debuff, means, run is turned on, costs phlegm, yet does not give any speed increase,
this should be fixed.

Some things I'd add/change after fixing the 30/6 problem:
- lower thermal value from lit torches
- slow debuff should be progressive, with little effect at the famous 97, but more as you get colder
- drinking broth should lock the cold debuff to not go lower again for 30 sec
- not having certain key slots of clothing equipped, could give a penalty depending on how cold it is,
so, from "warm temp" to "cold temp" in this order: coat, pants, chest, feet, head (or whatever you think makes sense), meaning at more mild temperatures ...say feet and head are not so important, but on colder temp they would be,
the penalty could go from a simple reduction to thermal, to more specific debuffs depending on the slot (in addition to cold debuff, IF a char is getting cold):
- pants/feet = additional slow
- coat/chest = humor regen
- head = inspi regen and render distance

- also the already mentioned effects of walking on shallow water and swimming (I may add swamps, too!^^) could provide some interesting and different effects, too

Also some major thing I'd change, is the way the cold debuff increases:
The colder you already are, the less heat you can lose, meaning you get "more cold" slower, or not at all.
(technically speaking, giving you a slight thermal bonus the more cold you already are, which lasts for 1h or so and slowly fades, whithout being visible to the player)
What I am aiming at here is, that I'd be a slight bit harder to freeze completely, but get a slight or medium cold debuff more easily, especially when going into mountainous regions, even when well prepared.
In combination with the fix of run, changing the slow effect to be progressive instead of on/off, and additional the slot-bound debuffs, you may come into situations, especially as a newbie,
where you still "feel" the cold, yet also feel how your efforts to cope with it help you.

Going further this way could get us to a point where the cold mechanic integrates seamlessly into the game and just feels natural, without being less dangerous, but more interesting.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby HDHB » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Taipion wrote:RUN is OFF if you have ANY cold debuff, means, run is turned on, costs phlegm, yet does not give any speed increase,
this should be fixed.

slow debuff should be progressive, with little effect at the famous 97, but more as you get colder

I think doing either one of these might help a great deal with the cold mechanic for newer players.
Jesus died for our sins. You should do the same.
HDHB

Postby Zapt13 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:39 pm

Is it just me, or does everyone always have at least a 97 cold debuff this Cold Snap when outside? Standing by the fire in Providence doesn't help me, I must be inside to clear it. I haven't tried broth yet, I'm sure it would be a momentary cure.
Re-enter your signature!
Zapt13

Postby Zapt13 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:41 pm

OH, nevermind, it just seems it's still doing the on-off thing.... My first bughat?
Re-enter your signature!
Zapt13

Postby monkeybee11 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:08 pm

this heated stone...ive got a feeling this is the thermal stone from dont strave? if so :thinking: ....plz tell me theres not gonna be a random deer transforming in to a cyclops monster destroying our bases
but back on topic
so the randomy deebuff wile im wearing thermal clothing is a bug?
monkeybee11

Postby Taipion » Sat May 05, 2018 8:25 pm

monkeybee11 wrote:so the randomy deebuff wile im wearing thermal clothing is a bug?

yes
Zapt13 wrote:OH, nevermind, it just seems it's still doing the on-off thing.... My first bughat?

no, has just not been fixed yet
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs & Technicalities