Salem causes complete PC shutdown

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Salem causes complete PC shutdown

Postby KrlVorster » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:34 am

Please advise:

After logging in, the game runs (sort of) OK for a while - usually 5 - 10 minutes, at which point a complete soft reboot happens. There is no chance to save an error report, and I don't see anything in my crash reports either (whether in ~/var/logs or in ~/home)
I have updated all my drivers, complete system, everything in the last week, and have a complete reinstall on a formatted HDD.
I have had a look at the other threads as well, as I am using an Intel based graphic chip. All the necessary drivers are installed and updated.
I have cleared the Java cache.

As far as I can see, it is also not hardware related, and there is no overheating, as I have a double cooling system on my laptop, including a deskfan.

It seems as if this (the game) is causing a segmentation fault, forcing a shutdown.

Any ideas?
KrlVorster

Re: Salem causes complete PC shutdown

Postby Kandarim » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:50 am

this game runs within the JVM so there is no reason even a very bad crash would cause a complete system shutdown.
My guess is there's just something else causing that - first bet would be overheating, but there'd be logs and you claim it isn't the case. Do you really only have it when playing Salem?
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby lachlaan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:11 pm

Second bet is a bad sector in one of the dependencies or other thingies java uses when running salem. More likely if it's a bit used by windows as well. Third bit is bad ram also provided the OS was using the bad bit of ram
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Kandarim » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:35 pm

so, the first thing to try (assuming a custom client) is to remove ~/Salem/bin/ - that will force a re-download of all the client libraries. In case you are only using default, then a java cache clear should have done that.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Return to Bugs & Technicalities