Gluttony Rework Mega-Thread

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Should Gluttony be Evaluated?

Stahp It! Leave it alone, its fine and its only a VOCAL minority who don't like it.
19%
Too much change is bad. Keep tweaking it and hopefully one day we hit a good place. The core system is fine.
40%
Make major changes to the existing system, like removing restores. Find new ways to force variety without removing the whole thing.
12%
Remove the whole thing and spend your time on making Cravings the new system.
16%
Remove the whole thing and go with the Inspirational Idea. A simple reason to make all the stuff, without making everything so dang complicated.
12%

Total votes : 105

Re: Gluttony Rework Mega-Thread

Postby nosfirebird » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:39 pm

grapefruitv wrote:I like gluttony system itself as it is, but think it could use some tweaking and more content. I also like craving system and, unlike many people, do not think it is even remotely useless. Cravings are a great addition, they will be even more helpful when wine is going to be on Providence.
I agree with what was stated few times before, we could use more similar alternatives to bajgiels and other foods that are now being spammed, instead of nerfing those foods too much. We could also use some restores balancing. Max made a list of restores for different foodgroups in Nsu's idea thread and I think that is a good place to start.
To fix current problem of people not even trying to explore their gluttony options there could be some positive motivation added to using variety in your sessions. For example restore bonuses, extra points or fnf timer reduction for using different food groups. There could be hidden combinations of food to hit such bonuses, like, let's say, cranberry sauce consumed after any meat dish would get you some extra points.
It would also be nice to see a group feasting system. I really enjoyed wrought iron making when it was first added, because it was a good reason for the whole town to gather together and have fun (by fun I of course mean social interactions and not the blowing and all that). And I keep hoping there will be more group activities of the sort. Yes, some people use and will be using alts for that, but I say let them if they want to do it the boring and more tedious way.
Not sure if you are familiar with feasting in HnH. It was a nice system that caused lots of fun, a little too OP though due to table bonuses.

it will all boil down to whats the best dish thats time efficient to make like right now baj's and fruit are the most time eff thing to make if salt becomes a boulder that has a bunch of coarse salt then everyone will make surf and turf and fruit
nosfirebird

Postby Kandarim » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:53 pm

the issue with surf 'n turf is getting lobsters in sufficient quantities, though. In general, mushrooms are FAR easier to farm than shellfish, and much more reliably.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby grapefruitv » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Yep, the whole lobster thing needs a fix to make shellfish group more popular to beging with. I think a fair solution would be adding a new common type of shellfish for yellow bile and boosting lobsters a little bit to still keep them something high end players would want.
Currently it takes few dozens thousands silver investment to locate and mantain lobster spot, which isn't even going to stay there forever.

After digging rework slugs are facing similar issue, it is now way too difficult to make yellow bile food in this group. This can be fixed by adding grubs to the list of bugs we can get when replanting veggies.
grapefruitv

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Just make lobster bajgels lol.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Chrumps » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:42 pm

nosfirebird wrote:it will all boil down to whats the best dish thats time efficient to make like right now baj's and fruit are the most time eff thing to make if salt becomes a boulder that has a bunch of coarse salt then everyone will make surf and turf and fruit

The point is not to make 'a food better than bajgiels' but only 'as good' and then individual differences in available resources will cause *some* people to change their habits. Scrapping bajgiels totally is not a good idea.

Also, again, reducing F&F timer is not something that would convince me to change habits, because I already cannot prepare a meaningful feast for all chars I care about by the time F&F debuff is out. Though I would not like either if the timer was much longer than one resulting form bajgiel & fruit mix.

What about small chance to get a bug when picking a plant in the wild too ? Directly to inventory, rather than on the ground (like it works now for honeysuckle kudzu) and perhaps with bonus from rummaging set. What about a bonus from rummaging set when picking plants form a pot?

Also, a lobster spot is not THAT much expensive, but it is an investment indeed.
Chrumps

Postby mrvictorgreen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:31 pm

Remove full and fed up or make it small, pls! ;)
mrvictorgreen

Postby kitty629 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:21 am

Grubs and beetles from gardening pots would be nice but easy enough to find from lifting up rocks. The bottleneck is the purity cabbage you have to feed them to make them worth cooking. I agree with the yellow shellfish option being a roadblock, not all can maintain plots on the coast.
kitty629
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:27 am

kitty629 wrote: not all can maintain plots on the coast.

Not all players are intended to do everything though. This should simply mean that Lobsters should be in reasonable demand on the free market no? But I don't see anybody offering to buy lobsters recently? Which is actually a signal to me that perhaps lobsters should be buffed even further until players are indeed willing to seek out the lobster farmers to get their hands on them.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby kitty629 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:07 am

There was a stall in town with lobsters for sale that I frequented often, alas they are no longer offering them.
kitty629
Customer

Postby belgear » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:23 am

JohnCarver wrote:
kitty629 wrote: not all can maintain plots on the coast.

Not all players are intended to do everything though. This should simply mean that Lobsters should be in reasonable demand on the free market no? But I don't see anybody offering to buy lobsters recently? Which is actually a signal to me that perhaps lobsters should be buffed even further until players are indeed willing to seek out the lobster farmers to get their hands on them.

I think you are mistaken. The problem with Lobsters is how valuable (as an item) they are and how many you need compared to how rare they are. If a person has to spend 35226242525253 silver and hassle to farm them in any "decent" (by decent I mean enough for -1- person) why in the ***** would they sell them? People don't sell them because they are too important to do so.

tbh just incorporate cravings in to gluttony and have it automatically give a point when the food is gluttoned, and then present a new craving. The only way a person could get a really huge awesome session is to have all the foods in their inventory. Boom. Variance. (Maybe x4 ff timer since it was so satisfying to fulfill your craving while in gluttony) Could then incorporate tables by being able to load them with wine, drink from the table for some added benefit (maybe it gets rid f the x4 ff timer and keeps it at 1 if you have the wine to go with the food)

or just leave things the way they are. The numbers game is strong in salem and it will always be broken down in to "X is the best."
belgear
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations