Couple of questions: shellfish trap, salt water.

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Couple of questions: shellfish trap, salt water.

Postby LaserSaysPew » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:11 am

1.Built 2 shellfish traps, filled them with meat chunks, bones. Placed into deep water. Bait keeps disappearing without yielding anything, all slot where bait was are now empty. Did I do something wrong?

2. As I understand salt water is the sea. Where do I find salt water in concord? There seems to be no sea, do I have to travel far west from the town or something?
LaserSaysPew

Re: Couple of questions: shellfish trap, salt water.

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:12 am

The sea is to the east. And sometimes you can have some bad luck and not have anything bite the bait you put in there. Try different bait.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby LaserSaysPew » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:18 am

Thanks for the help. Do people really go far east to fish? o.O what's the point?

Edit. Oh wait, I'm dumb. East is the darkness direction... So there is a sea! Good to know. Thanks!
LaserSaysPew

Postby Ronch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 am

Also, Players may be helping themselves to your catch if your traps are not under a territory-claim, or if they are not guarded by a torche's or brazier's range.

When I started shell fishing, I did it on a lake shore, even when I would completely fill it with bait sometimes I still only caught one crawdad or nothing at all.
At other times it was more than half full of various catches.

Some folks say bait has a lot to do with how many and what you will catch, others say location affects catch too,.. my experience so far is that it's just totally random.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby LaserSaysPew » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:33 am

Been playing for 3 days, haven't seen one living person so far living near the edge of darkness so I doubt someone's stealing my catches xD Kinda sad the world is so uninhabited or do all people live further into darkness?
LaserSaysPew

Postby Methuzelah23 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 pm

LaserSaysPew wrote: haven't seen one living person so far

Get used to this feeling. Most people you'd normally see quit when raiding became a less desirable activity than getting waterboarded.
Darwoth wrote:easily the best and longest standing rivalry i have ever had in a single game.Thanks for being a top quality nemesis and group leader on both servers, the best 1v1 pvp opponent i have squared off against as well.
Methuzelah23
Master Carpenter

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:47 pm

Methuzelah23 wrote:Get used to this feeling. Most people you'd normally see quit when raiding became a less desirable activity than getting waterboarded.

And then of course there is the real data. Which of course is that on Concord there was essentially SO MUCH raiding and carnage that a large % of the players quit and returned to a more balanced PVP system on Providence. Concord is just a bit ruthless, and admittedly by design. But if you want a PVP system where the attacker and defender have more comparable time investments to 'loss' then Providence is for you. If you want a server where attacking yields a dramatic upper-hand on the risk/reward metrics then Concord is for you. But concord, by design, will have lower populations as time goes on as the level of raiding is a bit crazy.

Concord Stats:
13,865 Crimes committed (~330 Crimes a day)
212 Players Permakilled (~5 players a day)
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Methuzelah23 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:29 am

JohnCarver wrote:
Methuzelah23 wrote:Get used to this feeling. Most people you'd normally see quit when raiding became a less desirable activity than getting waterboarded.

And then of course there is the real data. Which of course is that on Concord there was essentially SO MUCH raiding and carnage that a large % of the players quit and returned to a more balanced PVP system on Providence. Concord is just a bit ruthless, and admittedly by design. But if you want a PVP system where the attacker and defender have more comparable time investments to 'loss' then Providence is for you. If you want a server where attacking yields a dramatic upper-hand on the risk/reward metrics then Concord is for you. But concord, by design, will have lower populations as time goes on as the level of raiding is a bit crazy.

Concord Stats:
13,865 Crimes committed (~330 Crimes a day)
212 Players Permakilled (~5 players a day)

NVR forget the great naked borderstone battle of 2018, so much more enthralling than concord events.

I suppose it's hard to balance when you consider that the same faction who achieved pretty much nothing by destroying some stones and a bell that wasn't used for years died a dozen times to do so at a minimum.

Compared to their concord endeavours they achieved alot more. Two kills & broke a cannon.

Defenders have walls, warnings thru tbfs, mortars, catapults, stocks, all their resources & characters at their fingertips, % based damage, and of course even attempting anything is certain to be followed with a tbc that can kill you faster than licking moldy hoards. Under those mechanics for the past 2 years there seemed to be more "is this game dead" threads than actual conflict in my opinion.

The people that quit concord after losing 20 or 30 characters also lost a dozen on providence in as much time so if you try to balance around that kinda idiocy, I can see why it's so hard to get right.

Of course, nice to see that those that talk **** get hit on concord. Nice amount of deaths
Darwoth wrote:easily the best and longest standing rivalry i have ever had in a single game.Thanks for being a top quality nemesis and group leader on both servers, the best 1v1 pvp opponent i have squared off against as well.
Methuzelah23
Master Carpenter

Postby LaserSaysPew » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 pm

I think Concord is for me then. I like directional combat very much. But the "base/technology development" part...well... I played Hafen before that and unwillingly compare Salem to it. And base development here seems a bit forced by that "you can't get iron before you buy iron", "go buy nails, glass, pickaxe etc." Hafen brings more enjoyment in developing your base, getting new stuff, discovering, exploring. But combat here imo is a lot better. More dynamic, more fun! Ofc I lack experience and am talking only about what I have witnessed myself so far(hunting rabbits, beavers, snakes, turkeys) And if I understand correctly you can actually save your character here so you don't lose that much dying.
LaserSaysPew

Postby Methuzelah23 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:23 am

LaserSaysPew wrote:I think Concord is for me then. I like directional combat very much. But the "base/technology development" part...well... I played Hafen before that and unwillingly compare Salem to it. And base development here seems a bit forced by that "you can't get iron before you buy iron", "go buy nails, glass, pickaxe etc." Hafen brings more enjoyment in developing your base, getting new stuff, discovering, exploring. But combat here imo is a lot better. More dynamic, more fun! Ofc I lack experience and am talking only about what I have witnessed myself so far(hunting rabbits, beavers, snakes, turkeys) And if I understand correctly you can actually save your character here so you don't lose that much dying.

If being competitive and having fun is for you, the choice is clear. This guy gets it.
Methuzelah23
Master Carpenter

Return to Help!