Patch 2.2.4 Witch way? This Way!

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Patch 2.2.4 Witch way? This Way!

Postby Ronch » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:22 pm

JohnCarver wrote:FFS
Ronch wrote:...Such self destructive-behavior(s) as yours, is a sure sign of being an undesirable target of financial investment. (at any level)

Why didn't you tell me earlier? Our IPO launches in just a few days and the board room is already filling up with overseas investors. Any chance you are available for a last minute investment pitch because I think its pretty common knowledge that without the influx of outside capital I will have to ration Marp down an additional meal.

Oh I dunno, starting off with something like:
I've almost found someone who has enough time to constantly follow me around and wipe up the ass stains and drool puddles that I still leave behind, would be a good place to start.
...And, try real hard to hide your reading comprehension issues from them too.
...Or, just send someone with actual social-skill-sets in your stead, and you can stay home and watch cartoons or something !

But seriously, good luck with that venture.
The timing is ironic.
You do have an awesome fun game here, just don't ruin it for many old players and every new player alike by crippling/alienating the game's kinship-system. ;)
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby gustavohvg » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:57 pm

Darwoth wrote:not really trammie.

salem could learn much from UO, the real version that apparently very few people recall.

The shard that I played was Felluca only, and everyone just stored their house keys on a box at the door of their houses. They would take the key in the door tile and immediately enter the house and close the door and lock it - meaning that raiding was almost impossible if the house owner took easy steps. This situation is similar to the Providence-raiding situation that you constantly go mad about and no serious player likes.

It seems that you just played a version of the game where people didn't know how to handle the only basic, simple, security step needed, and you capitalized on that. -_-". In that case raiding was way too easy since after KOing someone (while he was fighting a monster) you would have access to their base location AND working key. -_-"

And back to the OP, JC read just this please: in UO it was easy to macro and chat in the IRC - very easily obtainable software, like discord - and that isn't the case of salem where you need to be there clicking every 5 seconds in a good number of occasions
Main char: Alcabitus
gustavohvg

Postby Ronch » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:32 pm

@John Carver,
I am not assuming that you need permission or consent from players to add or take anything away from your game.

But, here is a compromise or sorts on my part, that I feel will if used shrewdly by players could mitigate some of the negative affects coming from curses via that player's kin-list.
(such as deleting almost every existing kinship on that list).

Here is the idea:
Have some sort of small indicator or flag that reveals who last interacted with your character through your character's kin-list. let's call it a dream-flag here.
And have the "dream-flag" register whether your character is logged on or off when that said interaction occurs.
So, when weird or unusual happenings occur involving your character or stuff or environments around him/her, then this "dream-flag" would not be solid evidence of witchcraft but circumstantial evidence at best.
Which will add to the paranoia and mystery in my opinion, but also ease concerns about who you keep on your kin-list at the same time.

That, and or as already suggested: adding a new proficiency or skill to the game
(with steep inspirational requirements).
A skill that can be used to detect Witchcraft or the loathsome creatures themselves.

One last suggestion to ease the mounting concerns about the possible change to kin-list:
Would be to review this tread, starting on page one and offer clarifications to still unanswered questions from players regarding your planned kin-list changes.
Last edited by Ronch on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronch

Postby ceedatt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:49 pm

i am still the "new guy" so this is just a question of mechanics. other than not having people on my kin list to PM for a quick trade in town, whats the other actual negative aspects due to this change, only that a witch can now curse me more easily?

I know nothing of witches and their curses, but if i am cursed, can i not just go see my local priest for a quick blessing?
ceedatt

Postby Ronch » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 pm

ceedatt wrote:i am still the "new guy" so this is just a question of mechanics. other than not having people on my kin list to PM for a quick trade in town, whats the other actual negative aspects due to this change, only that a witch can now curse me more easily?

I know nothing of witches and their curses, but if i am cursed, can i not just go see my local priest for a quick blessing?

The biggest negative for me so far, would be giving permissions to other players on my homestead.
And to a lesser extent the chat/PM that comes with the kin-list by default atm.

Giving permissions is like allowing different levels of legal activity to other players who are on your homestead's territory, such as: trespassing, using facilities, borrowing/using items from unlocked storage, modifying, moving or destroy constructions.
...You give permissions by adding a player to your kin-list and then color coding them to give them different levels of permission on your homestead or any other Pclaim that you own on the map.
Last edited by Ronch on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronch

Postby Darwoth » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:55 pm

gustavohvg wrote:
The shard that I played was Felluca only, and everyone just stored their house keys on a box at the door of their houses. They would take the key in the door tile and immediately enter the house and close the door and lock it - meaning that raiding was almost impossible if the house owner took easy steps. This situation is similar to the Providence-raiding situation that you constantly go mad about and no serious player likes.

It seems that you just played a version of the game where people didn't know how to handle the only basic, simple, security step needed, and you capitalized on that. -_-". In that case raiding was way too easy since after KOing someone (while he was fighting a monster) you would have access to their base location AND working key. -_-"

you dont seem to understand what i said. there was not the option for crap players to store keys in a lockdown box on their steps in the original version of the game, that all came later and if your server was felluca "only" and yet still had lockdowns you were playing on some emulator years later and not on OSI at all unless it was on SP where you undoubtedly would have been pwnt by me a few hundred thousand times.

people that were not dumb kept their keys in the bank they did not carry them around on them so your comment again shows you never played the actual game.
Darwoth

Postby ceedatt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:59 pm

Ronch wrote:
ceedatt wrote:i am still the "new guy" so this is just a question of mechanics. other than not having people on my kin list to PM for a quick trade in town, whats the other actual negative aspects due to this change, only that a witch can now curse me more easily?

The biggest negative for me so far, would be giving permissions to other players on my homestead.
And to a lesser extent the chat/PM that comes with the kin-list by default atm.

Giving permissions is like allowing different levels of legal activity to other players who are on your homestead's territory, such as: trespassing, using facilities, borrowing/using items from unlocked storage, modifying, moving or destroy constructions.

ok i think i misunderstood something then, i didn't realize the changes would affect the ability to give those permissions, i assumed it would only make me re-think who i allowed to have them, thanks that makes more sense as to why its a big deal.
ceedatt

Postby Ronch » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 pm

ceedatt wrote:

I don't know much about Witches or Witchcraft at all yet either.
I assume the Priest blessing will remove curses cast by Witches, but again I do not know for sure.
Ronch

Postby saffgee » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:34 pm

Well on this kinship curse discussion, for what its worth (classic film quote):
Oh, Father, you're so wrong. Let me explain. [closes office door, places an empty glass on desk] Life, which you so nobly serve, comes from destruction, disorder and chaos. Take this empty glass. Here it is, peaceful, serene and boring. But if it is [Pushes glass off table] destroyed… [robot cleaners move to clean broken glass] Look at all these little things. So busy now. Notice how each one is useful. What a lovely ballet ensues, so full of form and color. Now, think about all those people that created them. Technicians, engineers, hundreds of people who'll be able to feed their children tonight so those children can grow up big and strong and have little teeny weeny children of their own, and so on and so forth. Thus, adding to the great chain…of life. [Desk prepares a glass of water and a bowl of fruit] You see, Father, by creating a little destruction, I'm actually encouraging life. In reality, you and I are in the same business. Cheers.

Why not introduce a little bit of chaos ? So what if things change and your base comes under threat ? or your character ? or everything ? Logging in every day to feed the turkeys and plant a few pots or till the fields = boring. Don't get me wrong, I hate loss as much as the next guy, but I hate losing interest and boredom far more. Let's just see what happens when JC pushes that glass off the table - at least he is here and changing things ! Last thing I want is a repeat of last year stagnation when he was on extended leave....
saffgee
Customer

Postby gustavohvg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:44 am

saffgee wrote:Why not introduce a little bit of chaos ?

Most of us players would like that but WITHOUT destroying a system that is actually working nice and fine for every player (kin list chat)
Main char: Alcabitus
gustavohvg

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements