Tutorial bug?

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Tutorial bug?

Postby darkclower2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 pm

Greetings,

I just created a character and I'm stuck in the tutorial. I'm on the task where I have to learn the skill "Childish Things". However, I don't have any points in "Perennial Philosophy" which is required to learn the skill. I also can't seem to find any items around the place which gives any points to that proficiency. Any ideas?

Screenshot:
(It seems to be too wide to fit in the post?)

darkclower2

Re: Tutorial bug?

Postby MaxPlanck » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:18 pm

Restart the tutorial. This isn't a normal occurrence and unless you "reset" your points it should have given you the needed points automatically when receiving the task to learn it.

While it does suck that you have to do it over again, its just 10 minutes or so of time spent lost.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby darkclower2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am

Thanks for the reply.

I made a new character and finished it. It wasn't too annoying to redo it, but it sure does give a bad impression on new/returning players.

I also noticed that the task where you told to "enter gluttony mode and gobble food" (paraphrasing) can be completed by leveling up a proficiency.

On a side note, I've tried to get into this game a handfull of times since it's release. And every time I'm amazed at how "unpolished" and "clunky" the game is (textures turn white randomly, you are invisible when you respawn until you relog, the tutorial, etc.). I personally can get in to games that are "rough around the edges", but it certainly makes it less appealing (and a lot harder to get my friends to give the game a shot).

You seem like someone who has played for a long time, do you have any insight in to why the technical aspects of the game is still in such a "rough" state? Would very much appreciate a response, I'm very curious about this.
darkclower2

Postby MaxPlanck » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:43 am

darkclower2 wrote:I also noticed that the task where you told to "enter gluttony mode and gobble food" (paraphrasing) can be completed by leveling up a proficiency.

Out of the many times I've done the tutorial for new chars I've never run into the mishap of completing one task by doing a different task.
Did not even know that was a thing that could happen.

darkclower2 wrote:(textures turn white randomly)

This is likely a problem with your graphics card running with JAVA, etc.
I've never personally had a problem with textures losing color

darkclower2 wrote:(you are invisible when you respawn until you relog)

This is a long-standing problem, and maybe JC will get a chance to take a look at it during his rise in productivity this past month.
As for the current "temp" solution; Use an attack such as "stomp" to get the game to make your character visible again.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Rifmaster » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:13 pm

Can confirm that you can just skip tutorial tasks by doing the one that comes after instead. (atleast for the gluttony-proficiency one)

What seems to have happened here, is that you didnt do what the tutorial told you to do, you learned another skill or raised a proficiency while you had the required perennial in the skill bar (this is automatically given to you by the game). Raising a proficiency or learning a skill completely clears your skill bars, so most likely it's just your fault for not doing what the tutorial said.
Rifmaster

Postby HDHB » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 pm

What Rifmaster said. You studied those tumbleweeds and raised Faith&Wisdom and thereby deleted the Perennial the game would've granted you if you didn't (or did that later).
Jesus died for our sins. You should do the same.
HDHB

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:29 am

Rifmaster wrote:Can confirm that you can just skip tutorial tasks by doing the one that comes after instead. (atleast for the gluttony-proficiency one)

What seems to have happened here, is that you didnt do what the tutorial told you to do, you learned another skill or raised a proficiency while you had the required perennial in the skill bar (this is automatically given to you by the game). Raising a proficiency or learning a skill completely clears your skill bars, so most likely it's just your fault for not doing what the tutorial said.

A+ Detective
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Return to Help!