Mac User - right click won't work

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Mac User - right click won't work

Postby Kandarim » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:27 pm

vysen wrote: -- bad advice --

That is untrue. They only require the Java RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT (JRE), not the Java DEVELOPMENT KIT (JDK). You only need the JDK if you want to compile the client yourself, and I don't see a reason to want to do so if you're not changing it.
I'm unsure about Mac, but on other operating systems it is a VERY bad idea to uninstall something by simply deleting its folder. It may be linked from various places (on Windows, notably, there are probably registry entries, but even on Linux some -- poorly written scripts -- may depend on the existence of a 'java' link on the search path). There should be some place to uninstall it, on linux e.g. by apt-get remove, on Windows from the software overview.

That said, there have been a lot of issues in the past with Mac and the mouse, and I never figured it out (mostly because I don't have a Mac available for testing).
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Lansett » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks! It's working now.

I kept my 1.8 Java installation because I need it.
I just installed the 1.6 from the provided link (https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US)
Then I deleted ~/Salem/bin and ~/Salem/cache
Patched Ender's client
Closed the client
Ran
Code: Select all
cd $HOME/Salem/bin && /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java -Xmx3G -jar salem.jar -U http://game.salemthegame.com/res/ game.salemthegame.com

The 3G memory limit is there because by default it's too low to load Providence.

Btw, Latikai's client (lsalem.jar) complains about maxversion/minversion not being 54 or something.
Lansett

Postby vysen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Kandarim wrote:
vysen wrote: -- bad advice --

That is untrue. They only require the Java RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT (JRE), not the Java DEVELOPMENT KIT (JDK). You only need the JDK if you want to compile the client yourself, and I don't see a reason to want to do so if you're not changing it.
I'm unsure about Mac, but on other operating systems it is a VERY bad idea to uninstall something by simply deleting its folder. It may be linked from various places (on Windows, notably, there are probably registry entries, but even on Linux some -- poorly written scripts -- may depend on the existence of a 'java' link on the search path). There should be some place to uninstall it, on linux e.g. by apt-get remove, on Windows from the software overview.

That said, there have been a lot of issues in the past with Mac and the mouse, and I never figured it out (mostly because I don't have a Mac available for testing).

Do you have a Mac? I'd like to know how you got passed the pop up complaining about command lines then. I'll promise you downloading a JDK is one way, and that 1.6 JDK is what allows you to right click. Yes you need a JRE, but you also need that JDK. There's older forum posts talking about this.

Feel free to chime in with more useful info, because as-is I think you're speaking blindly which is just sad to see.

What's really funny is they got it to work doing that. :lol:
vysen

Postby Kandarim » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:50 am

Lansett wrote:Btw, Latikai's client (lsalem.jar) complains about maxversion/minversion not being 54 or something.

My client needs Java 7+. Good to know a Java revert fixed it, I'll try to remember for future issues.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Lansett » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:13 pm

Just to be sure I tried Latikai's client with JRE 1.7.0 and still the same issue.
Lansett

Postby raketkalle » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:45 pm

@vysen thank you so much, your method installing the old JDK worked perfectly for me using enders client!
raketkalle

Previous

Return to Help!