Net neutrality

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Net neutrality

Postby lachlaan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:39 pm

now EA is gonna have to get into the ISP business and start their new business plan :

Internet flat, you can ping any IP in the world freely.

Facebook DLC : For only 19.99 a month you can actually load facebook pages

Facebook DLC deluxe collector's edition : For only 10 more dollars a month you can actually load videos and do audio calls.

MIcrotransaction store with day/week long passes to any of your online gaming servers.

Power user account where you reserve your left kidney to be removed at the ripe age of 40 and sold off for permission to use the utterly unfair and intensive steam, origin etc game update services. I mean some games put out 20GB updates a month that's not fair to basic users cough up more dough, or kidneys.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Dallane » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:31 am

oh look a shill who doesn't fully understand net neutrality.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby TotalyMeow » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:14 am

The internet got along for decades just fine without net neutrality and we were really better off without it. It allowed internet providers to offer cheaper plans for people who only wanted email or similar small packages. My grandma would love to pay less money for something like an email only plan because that's all she does anyway. All net 'neutrality' does is benefit the big companies that suck up massive amounts of bandwidth.

Does anyone else remember NetZero?
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Darwoth » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:24 am

biggest problem i see is WHEN not if the big highly liberal tech conglomerates like google and yahoo start acquiring ISP's or partner with them using the change in laws to censor (via throttling the speeds or just outright blocking it, remember? when obama gave away the internet it was specifically mentioned by the new overseers that it is no longer under the protection of our first amendment) content they do not like (if you thought the last election with all of the endlessly exposed media lies was a circus just wait until they control the internet as well)

internet was fine for eons without the "neutrality" **** certainly, but that was the old days when places like my local video store and even the military school had their own internet companies because it was the days of dialup, now that everything is controlled by a handful of corporations we will not see things remain that way because these small companies are not going to return, certainly not anytime soon to where they hold even a fraction of the share of internet consumers. folks also had a lot less of a militaristic NEED to tell others what to do/think in the early 2000s and late 90s than they do now. the end goal is to censor the internet.

the proper way to of done this to both promote and protect business as well as the freedom of the internet would have been to keep the internet under the control of the united states thus ensuring a baseline free speech protection so that no content could be blocked outright and establishing minimum connection speeds on par with what todays average high speed internet is, and removing net neutrality on future technology to promote innovation which is what the internet corps are using as the chief reason to do away with it.
Darwoth

Postby DarkNacht » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:35 am

Google fiber is already the provider for around 30 cities, so its not even something that we have to wait for, also Comcast, the largest broadband provider, owns NBC and already has a history of throttling sites from before the net neutrality.
Though Washington State has already started to move to implement local net neutrality so if many states decide they don't like what the FCC is doing that it might not have any real effect.
DarkNacht

Postby Dallane » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Man it's almost as if now companies can now install new lan lines. I wonder why?

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Rifmaster » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Darwoth wrote: establishing minimum connection speeds on par with what todays average high speed internet is

And how would this be achieved? It wouldn't work with a law saying that x speed is the minimum.

Also, net neutrality is what keeps innovation and future technology going. The main problem with the internet in America (and the problem of many other things) is the huge corporations that can establish borderline monopolies on loads of different markets which creates an anti capitalist society which is certainly not what America is supposed to be. I mean holy ****, my country which is one of the worst in europe has better internet than most of the US, all because of worthy competition.

Edit: The main problem of net neutrality isn't that people are going to be charged to google things and use social networks (doubt that will even happen), It's throttling net speeds, and charging companies to get on the fast lane.
Rifmaster

Postby Darwoth » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Rifmaster wrote:
Darwoth wrote: establishing minimum connection speeds on par with what todays average high speed internet is

And how would this be achieved? It wouldn't work with a law saying that x speed is the minimum.

Also, net neutrality is what keeps innovation and future technology going. The main problem with the internet in America (and the problem of many other things) is the huge corporations that can establish borderline monopolies on loads of different markets which creates an anti capitalist society which is certainly not what America is supposed to be. I mean holy ****, my country which is one of the worst in europe has better internet than most of the US, all because of worthy competition.

well i dont see why it wouldnt work with saying x speed at the source is the minimum, just like when you buy an internet package. however far easier than that one could only allow a certain percentage of speed choking on whatever they dont want you to see.

the reason europe has "better" (if you consider cheaper but censored nanny state internet better, have spoken to several folks of different european countries that can not access many of the same websites i can) internet than the united states is because it is more compact. the united states has entire areas that are bigger than most of europe that basically have nobody living in them. there are still vast areas of the east rural coast where DSL is a new thing and before that it was satellie or nothing. until you drive several hundred miles on one of our midwest highways and see less than a dozen other cars you cant really understand the difference.

doing it in the manner i described would allow a transition period for new companies to solidify, build infrastructure and provide competition allowing the free market to sort itself out and prevent the problem. changing the rules after the monopolies already exist and the internet is stripped of its freedom of speech protection is just going to ***** everything up as it will be years if ever before vew viable competition emerges.
Darwoth

Postby Dallane » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:00 pm

Rifmaster wrote: It's throttling net speeds, and charging companies to get on the fast lane.

Thats a small part of NN. None of that **** is going to happen.

Dallane

Postby pietrko » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Darwoth wrote:the reason europe has "better" (if you consider cheaper but censored nanny state internet better, have spoken to several folks of different european countries that can not access many of the same websites i can)

Censored???
Man, who were those guys ? Anders Breivik and Marc Dutroux ?
Give an example of website.
Internet content gets blocked coz some private companies "owning" the content demand it.
pietrko
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill