1.4 Craving some Changes

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: 1.4 Craving some Changes

Postby Bjebr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm mostly agree with Soroka , the salvage is nowadays very powerful.
I was wondering if the "salvaging function" could be linked to the duration of your claim on this building/structure you want to salvage : for exemple 0% salvage the first day , 50% salvaged the 50th day of your claim on it ?

Bjebr
Bjebr

Postby Darwoth » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Soroka wrote:I want to draw your attention to the fact that the latest changes are aimed at reducing the players in the game.
Over the past 3 weeks, I have witnessed the massive destruction of bases, both abandoned and alive.
Earlier, the raiders took only valuables and killed, but now the base is destroyed all without a trace.

This is a horrible opportunity salvage - players after the raid have nowhere to return, from their base remains a naked place.
So that you better understand my fears: I was not robbed, my base is intact, but, what's left of my neighbors is the lunar landscape.
As much as I'm not happy about the possibility of returning some of the resources when salvage, this opportunity kills the player without motivating him to return to the game.

I ask you to take seriously my words, unless you plan to close the server in the near future, where several players will play.

i have/had over two dozen bases from old raids that i have been babysitting in some cases for years simply because they were to good to destroy or abandon just so some newb squatter could move in and force me to raid it again later, i have dismantled over a dozen of these bases down to the cornerposts in all of the walls as i eliminate the needless bloat and consolidate my in game assets, i know several other players with multiple bases that are doing the same. this is what you are seeing not everyone suddenly being wiped out :lol:
Darwoth

Postby Lusewing » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:40 pm

I've, in fact, seen more players returning this past month or so.

Anything worth salvaging should have enough protection to discorage most raiding in the first place, and it is a breath of fresh air to finally not have to spend so much time and phlgem clearing abandoned places so that the world looks less like a graveyard litted with the bones of baces.
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby pietrko » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:20 am

Salvaging was such a great addition - people really make effort to clean abandoned bases - this really helps with making bases. Thx for the patch.
pietrko
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:54 am

Seems like mixed emotions on the salvage. I guess the main question though is how is a player losing their whole base to salvage against a raider if it is under a pclaim?
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Nikixos » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:03 am

JohnCarver wrote:Seems like mixed emotions on the salvage. I guess the main question though is how is a player losing their whole base to salvage against a raider if it is under a pclaim?

1. eminent domain an active/nub
2. clean base to ground
3. ???
4. prafit
+you get a chance of getting your town charter back after you salvage it

It does cost a lot of money and investment, and i would rather raid if the crime debuff didn't take 15+ mins to disappear everytime i commit a crime.
BUT e.d is faster, less tedious and equally rewarding

Thinking about it, why does e.d raiding even exists? I say don't let townbells younger than a month use eminent domain
but buff criminality, simply rolling tea back to how it used to be would fix it, or maybe alcohol will, idk man... i'm just glad you're back to move stuff around :D
Image Image
Nikixos

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:21 am

Glad to be back.

Don't hate Eminent domain though. It was a nice level of fear knowing that even though you claimed your land a big fish with enough money and willpower may be willing to invest in wiping you out.

I do think taking salvage away from Town Bells is reasonable. But I still don't think taht they are worth building for the random noob. A base has to get pretty tasty before the eminent domain is worth it. And even then I feel the investment from the player doing the ED may be worth it.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby TheDuke86 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:49 am

JohnCarver wrote:Glad to be back.

Don't hate Eminent domain though. It was a nice level of fear knowing that even though you claimed your land a big fish with enough money and willpower may be willing to invest in wiping you out.

I do think taking salvage away from Town Bells is reasonable. But I still don't think taht they are worth building for the random noob. A base has to get pretty tasty before the eminent domain is worth it. And even then I feel the investment from the player doing the ED may be worth it.

I’m having more concern over it with managing a town. Salvaging is great, but I find myself having to pclaim the entire town then restricting heavily who can build on the claim to avoid losing a base in a matter of a hour. Either their is no macanic to avoids this or I simply don’t know it. I think allowing the ability to turn off destruction but allow building would greatly help the town aspect.
WWJCD; What Would John Carver Do!
-The Duke
TheDuke86

Postby Nikixos » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:14 am

TheDuke86 wrote:
I’m having more concern over it with managing a town. Salvaging is great, but I find myself having to pclaim the entire town then restricting heavily who can build on the claim to avoid losing a base in a matter of a hour. Either their is no macanic to avoids this or I simply don’t know it. I think allowing the ability to turn off destruction but allow building would greatly help the town aspect.

Salem is a game of trust, if you live with untrustable people then don't let them in your PERSONAL claim/village duh
IMO and as KKK vs Ekko proved, only thing you accomplish by pclaiming an entire town, is obligating the attacking faction to build a load of flags and then eminent domain you anyways :roll:
If attackers want in, a huge pclaim works the same than a pclaim per plot, both will fall at the same difficulty +/-
More now that pclaim drain got rolled back
Image Image
Nikixos

Postby TheDuke86 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:33 am

Nikixos wrote:
TheDuke86 wrote:

Salem is a game of trust, if you live with untrustable people then don't let them in your PERSONAL claim/village duh
IMO and as KKK vs Ekko proved, only thing you accomplish by pclaiming an entire town, is obligating the attacking faction to build a load of flags and then eminent domain you anyways :roll:
If attackers want in, a huge pclaim works the same than a pclaim per plot, both will fall at the same difficulty +/-
More now that pclaim drain got rolled back

i agree that their needs to be a level of trust, but i also dont think salvaging should be an offensive mechanic. Instead a means of reaping the rewards of a victorious siege. when a mechanic can by pass most forms of constructed defense thats when i see the issue. If a traitor betrays and murders all the townies, well such is the life in salem, then turns to destroy the town great, have him wack at it as a normal raider should. In either case, doing 20% damage a swing on a iron wall just seems broken to me. not arguing the regulation on town betrayals, just not have salvage as a offense mechanic.

also in regards to the giant pclaim, it is more about the ease of regulating the permissions to build and commit waste, i find it much easier to do so making the massive pclaim as a management tool.
WWJCD; What Would John Carver Do!
-The Duke
TheDuke86

Previous

Return to Announcements