Shooing animals, a revisited idea

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Shooing animals, a revisited idea

Postby lachlaan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:32 am

I just had a strong craving for the ability to whip animals and make them go the opposite way like in Ark : Survival Evolved, but then realized we'd already suggested this last time round in the form of shooing animals. Any chance of it making it in now that animals are an issue for more than just the experienced animal herders of Popham who have already embraced the madness that is animal logistics?
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Re: Shooing animals, a revisited idea

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:39 am

Anything that tries interrupt the basic AI loop that the animals are in is less than simple but far from impossible. My hope was that leashing them was going to be enough. However, I must admit that its been awhile since I've hassled with large quantities of them in a casual play setting. Is there a general outcry for a way to mass migrate them? Or does this come out of an issue with them getting stuck on each other?
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby MaxPlanck » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:51 am

Problem with lassoing them with right click(not shooting) is that you have to get next to the animal in question then move back through a crowd to reposition them. And for lassoing with shooting you end up aggroing the animal and causing alot of problems.

So when you try to walk through barns with lots and lots of animals everywhere its hard to navigate through is my understanding.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Heffernan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:58 am

isnt a fix simple being able to lift animals? then place them somewhere else?
Heffernan

Postby lachlaan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:20 pm

The problem is that it takes about 3 of them for one to decide not to move out of the way, the one on the edge of the stall. The rest will simply bump into the first and the overextended wall hitbox, and in the process block the AI of the other animal blocking you. A leash alone has too much follow distance so you need a good 5 tiles distance to turn an animal else it doesn't even start moving to make room for anything else to pass through.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Nikixos » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:10 am

can't you add an option to a roped animal? That says tighten rope and then it pushes the animal towards you, or loosen rope that pushes the animal at the opposite direction than you
Or maybe add those options to a rope that already has an animal leashed if it's easier to implement
Image Image
Nikixos

Postby Dallane » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:34 am

Maybe you guys should learn to manage your herd better. I learned my lesson before on haven.

Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Kandarim » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:18 pm

'manage'
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby lachlaan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Haven has shooing though :P It made life so much easier.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby nosfirebird » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:23 pm

+1 to shooing just make it a movement skill when activated it makes all the animals run away from you with a chance for ones with high ornery to get pissed and attack you. or if thats 2 hard just make it so we can pick leashed animals up and place them out the way like heff said
nosfirebird

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations