Natural Disasters

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Natural Disasters

Postby Shroodle » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:54 pm

So recently I was told to not be a little ***** and to put more detail into my ideas so here it goes.

Natural Disasters - Tornadoes/Hurricanes/Tsunamis/Earthquakes/Forest Fires/Whatever else kills people

How the disasters work:

Tornadoes - Each tornado has a different rating based on the wind speed inside of it. The wind has drop off points in certain areas around the tornado, and gets exponentially lower the farther from the storm you go. The tornadoes can rip the leaves off of trees, and cause the tree to die. They can shred farms, and plants, etc.. Causes tears in the ground that look like someone just dug a trench.

Hurricanes - Same as Tornadoes except near water, causes water levels to rise temporarily, people who cant swim will drown in the water unless they have a way of floating.

Tsunamis - Caused by earthquakes in the water, makes water levels rise higher than hurricanes, causes lots of destruction.

Earthquakes - Level out the ground a little, but can make new mountains/hills, (fixes the trenches caused by tornadoes and hurricanes (if they reach land)).

Forest Fires - Burns the trees (obviously) and causes animals to run from the fire, smoke inhalation causes people to have decreased stats, people can get burns that cause them to have less heat resistance.

Whatever else kills people - Idk, if anyone has ideas then yeah they would be here.

How to deal with the disasters:

Tornadoes - Structures have a resistance to winds based on what structure it is, and what the structure is built on.

Hurricanes - Same as tornadoes, but people have to board their houses up if they want to have better protection. (Swimming recommended)

Tsunamis - Same as hurricanes except the wind resistance doesn't matter and certain structures are more water proof than others. (Swimming recommended)

Earthquakes - Buildings need to be built on and with better materials to be able to withstand earthquakes.

Forest Fires - Use the water in wells to douse your house and chests and other important stuff to raise the wetness so they can withstand fire better. Certain materials withstand better.

Whatever else kills people - However the people decide they want to survive the stuff.
Shroodle

Re: Natural Disasters

Postby Nikixos » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:27 pm

retard ideas as always
Image Image
Nikixos

Postby Heffernan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Nikixos wrote:retard ideas as always

+1 this game is hardcore enough for players.
Heffernan

Postby gorniksam » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:55 pm

-1 and not even gonna roasting u
gorniksam

Postby Nsuidara » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:30 am

no need, because

Tornadoes -> Heff
Hurricanes -> kuku
Tsunamis -> Darwoth
Earthquakes -> JC
Forest Fires -> other players and Marp! :P
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Taipion » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:23 am

iirc Marp once said he likes to go over the map and reshape it, while making funny noises and pretending to be a natural disaster...
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:25 am

I'm not sure how I feel emotionally on how much of a hard time you guys are giving this guy :). But either way, natural disasters on some level would be fun. Most of what you suggested doesn't work for some fairly obvious reasons. The biggest problem is I want 'things' in Salem to change salem and its landscape forever, and major events like this would just deteriorate the map into a mess of water, burned trees, and upside stuff too frequently for my taste. If made less common then the risk and threat would be too minimal.

I recently engaged another player on the ideas of global events though, and I was fond of exploration into astrology or other metrics like zodiac signs to have various status changes on a global level aside or in addition to seasons. Will continue to ponder but for obvious reasons not something I can waste too much time on with many other things this game needs right now taking priority.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Shroodle » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:08 pm

JohnCarver wrote:I'm not sure how I feel emotionally on how much of a hard time you guys are giving this guy :). But either way, natural disasters on some level would be fun. Most of what you suggested doesn't work for some fairly obvious reasons. The biggest problem is I want 'things' in Salem to change salem and its landscape forever, and major events like this would just deteriorate the map into a mess of water, burned trees, and upside stuff too frequently for my taste. If made less common then the risk and threat would be too minimal.

I recently engaged another player on the ideas of global events though, and I was fond of exploration into astrology or other metrics like zodiac signs to have various status changes on a global level aside or in addition to seasons. Will continue to ponder but for obvious reasons not something I can waste too much time on with many other things this game needs right now taking priority.

Fair enough, and for the Tsunamis and stuff, I don't think i made it clear enough, the water would recede after a while, just like in real life. I see your point though, thanks for taking a look at it :)
Shroodle

Postby belgear » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:57 am

JohnCarver wrote:many other things this game needs right now

like the twerking emote
belgear
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:24 pm

belgear wrote:like the twerking emote

I already built this. One of the first things done when animation technology was redone. You have seen this right?
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations