Bees and Honey

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Bees and Honey

Postby belgear » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:30 am

TOTALLY MISREAD POST. DELETE THIS POST AT OWN DISCRETION.
Last edited by belgear on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
belgear
Customer

Postby MaxPlanck » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:34 am

+1

We just need to keep complaining to the Devs and hope that they spend the time to set up anti-botting systems and improve their main client, etc. instead of purely working on new content for the game.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Darwoth » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:41 am

one day me, jc, meow and marp will all get ***** together and settle our disputes via a combination of darts and arm wrestling as is the american way as it should be, this will result in darwoth god of pvp ascending into devwoth primordial god of everything and with this boost salem will be great again.
Darwoth

Postby Krystalfoxfire » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:33 pm

I really like the idea of different kinds of honey with different debuffs, but holy **** we absolutely need a way to make skeps either last longer or be reusable...can't we have a "collect honey" method or something rather than tearing down the heckin' things? I only have 6 skeps total on my claim, and I feel like I'm constantly rebuilding them. As far as I know, real skeps don't work that way? You just remove the honey-filled frames and put new frames in? If it was an object like the paper-making screen...insert # of frames into skep, remove frames when full, drain honey + wax, put frames back. Presto! You've got less grindy honey-production.
Krystalfoxfire

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Krystalfoxfire wrote:I really like the idea of different kinds of honey with different debuffs, but holy **** we absolutely need a way to make skeps either last longer or be reusable...can't we have a "collect honey" method or something rather than tearing down the heckin' things? I only have 6 skeps total on my claim, and I feel like I'm constantly rebuilding them. As far as I know, real skeps don't work that way? You just remove the honey-filled frames and put new frames in? If it was an object like the paper-making screen...insert # of frames into skep, remove frames when full, drain honey + wax, put frames back. Presto! You've got less grindy honey-production.

Skeps are correct in the time period that salem is set in. The more modern versions were invented later on.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Hohenheim » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:49 am

Do you guys have such a huge honey consumption? I rarely ever harvest honey because I have a huge stock. Maybe you guys should be trading more for these sort of things that you need a lot of so you save yourself from the work.

I learned about beekeeping once in a course and I like Dallanes suggestions. I am not sure about the time, but for modern beekeeping you need a lot of tools to harvest honey, like a honey centrifuge to remove the honey from the cone. I am not sure about the development of beehives in america, but I think in Europe we had several types at different times, no idea when the idea of compartments and frames came up. One important thing about beekeeping in Europe is the management of diseases and pests. Bugs, rats/mice, Varroa destructor and wax moths for example. I think there are also other mechanics to make beekeeping more difficult.

It would be nice if on the other side beekeeping had more benefits. Food production would be the first pick, but restore, buff, medicine or a counter to an other external thread would come to mind.

Having more demanding and complex production chains would give incentive to people trading or sharing work over hermitting their needs.
Hohenheim

Postby Kandarim » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:39 am

MaxPlanck wrote:Botters likely have a much harder time farming clay because of the way clay farming works so that's how they came to resort to this.

Let me burst your bubble here, even if that will be at the expense of people assuming that I still bot (which I don't, aside from the fact that I don't play anymore for exactly the reasons Darwoth outlined).

When the game was still under seatribe control, I had fully functional bots for everything you can think of. I could probably update them again with little trouble to the current client version, as nothing has really changed. Mining, lime digging, clay digging, pots, cotton fields with automatic processing into clothes (remember, back when inventories where teeny tiny). Aside from PvP, and PvE to a lesser extent, I literally haven't found any aspect of this game that couldn't be botted.

At one point I had a somewhat functional hunting bot, that could dynamically switch weapons as required for whatever attack it wanted to use. It was never really good, and it died occasionally even when just hunting deer at ~200 biles, but that goes to show exactly how far botting can be taken in this game. If I can do this, other people can as well.

When MM took over the game, and the game went from condoning bots to forbidding them, I stopped using them. At roughly the same time, I basically stopped playing Salem, after being confronted with exactly how mindnumbingly boring (and pointless, in most cases, like distillers or leather) the grind behind this game has become. And that was me, at that point living in Arcadia with several people whose work I could (and did :lol:) leech off.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations