Interest Check: Player-Run Caravan System?

Forum for In-Game politics, relations, matters of justice, and other in-game topics.

Interest Check: Player-Run Caravan System?

Postby SirFillingsworth » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi, all. I'm relatively new to the games, and this is my first post on the forums, but I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in something like what the subject line states. I guess I should give a little background on how I got this idea, though. So, it's a relatively short story. I've played Salem on another account that wasn't doing too well (the account name was Malthael6923, couldn't remember the password) in terms of settling down. So I started this one after a long break from the game. I have always been envious of the players that own a merchant stall, mainly because I'm sure they're making bank and I've always had a business-focused mind. So while playing a different game earlier today, I was talking to a caravan leader, and I thought: how cool would it be to have something like that in Salem? And thus, this basic layout was born:

-- (OPTIONAL) A group of people could try and find "investors" to give them a starting amount of silver, so that the group can buy their first load of goods from a merchant stall. Of course, the investor is always taking a risk...
-- A "caravan" could consist of any amount of people (preferably alt characters)
-- This caravan would obtain the locations of various player-made settlements within a X by X tile range around the outer edges of the providence claim ( I would assume by new world surveys, correct me if I'm wrong)
-- The players would travel to each settlement within a set time frame (to organize things with other players easily) and buy goods from one settlement and sell them to those who need them in another for profit
-- Profits would be evenly split (or however the group decides is fair) among all members
-- This cycle would repeat as long as the caravan wanted to stick together

Of course, it would be wise for each member of the group to have all the supplies they need to defend themselves from a new threat that would inevitably emerge: Caravan Marauders. Whether the group decides to arm each merchant, or even hire other players as armed guards would be completely be up to the leader.

So, that's about all I can think of right now. I welcome any feedback, just don't be a turd and we'll get along just fine :)
SirFillingsworth

Re: Interest Check: Player-Run Caravan System?

Postby MarpTarpton » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:06 pm

This sounds cool if we were to get rid of teleporting to town. There are many players who utilize the forums to make a reputation as a trader that has nothing to do with stalls. I like the idea of a traveling caravan but I'm not sure the risk would meet a reward.
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
MarpTarpton
Site Admin

Postby TotalyMeow » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Welcome to the forums.

This is a mechanic we have talked about implementing once we have permanent horses and a few other things added. It's probably a way in the future. We've had some ideas for mobile defense systems to provide some chance of safety and/or a way to fast travel with such a caravan (though I much prefer the idea that you could be robbed en route). And like Marp says, it still might be an unworkable idea in the environment of Salem.

When you post an idea, do it in the Idea subsection of the forums for best results.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:12 pm

I like the caravan idea, but isnt it easier just to teleport to Providence and trade there?
Both sides can trade on safe grounds (In Providence you cannot be atacked).
Caravans on the other hand will have tough luck surviving the trip through the wild. Also, the terain in salem is kinda hard to traverse with sharp ridges and rivers which means youll have to travel on foot or canoe for the most part.
And going by foot is a HORRIBLE idea.
In my mind, if the game gets a caravan it should be a bit different than what you envisioned.
1) Caravan would consist of NPC characters.
2) Caravan would not travel but would apear in towns who have certain amount of authority and prebuilt Caravan buildings.
3)Caravan would serve as a silver sink selling rare inspirationals or artifacts to players.
4)Caravan could also 'buy* items from players for special tokens which would be used for caravan specific items.
5)Caravan would sell token items only during uncommon caravan called ´Silk Road´.
6)Caravans would apear once a week unless some catastrophic event prevents them from visiting your prestigius town (Bandits, floods, diseases). If an event would happen they would send an emisary with a note : ´Caravan is in another castle`.
Its not what you wanted but this idea would serve the game better.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Taipion » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:17 pm

First of all, It's good to see things like that from a new player, yet this does not make much sense in Salem, as Marp already said.

The only place were actual transport would be required, is in case of moveable structures that can't be transported in your inventory.
And the only ones of those that are worth to transport them a longer distance, are already deployed shop items.
Those items can be transported in your inventory, until they are deployed, then you can only carry them over your head or in sleds/carts.
Like: gardeners pots (the green ones), tailors cotton cleaner (I still WANT TO BUY one of those! :-) ), eternal flame, and alle the shop furniture to name a few.

But, further thinking of this, trying to find an actual use case, there are likely only 3, or variations of these:
- a player wants to move to another place for whatever reason
- a player looted such items from a raided place (commonly left behind by raiders) or raided them himself
- a player tries to get out his valuables because of being threatened by an attack

In all 3 cases, you as the "caravan leader" would need to know both where to pick up those items, and where to deliver them, and one of these locations, or both, are probably information that the player in need of hauling stuff would not be all too comfortable to share.
Which is the reason I think few, if anyone, would want to take the risk to use such a service.

But feel free to try. ;)
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Darwoth » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:09 pm

sounds like a good reason for a line of rare seasonal "fluff" items like furniture, wall decorations and other only liftable/cartable doodads to be placed on a vendor in a remote location of the game at high cost, on top of a mountain, with a narrow winding road down it. also the vendor is located on a hostile permmed marp pclaim so anyone purchasing something leaves a trespass scent allowing them to be tracked until they get it to their base.
Darwoth

Postby SirFillingsworth » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:43 am

Hey guys! Thank you for all your replies! Yeah, the way I imagined it being used would be quite insecure, but that's also kind of why it would be fun in my eyes. Though I agree with Marp, risk very much outweighs reward. Maybe I'm a bit masochistic, but I think it would be very adrenaline fueling to be on foot, constantly on the lookout, then suddenly ambushed by a group of bandits. But hey, maybe that's just me. Zodd, it is most certainly easier to travel top Providence to trade, but I like the idea of risk, and perhaps even a diversified Salem economy. Like I said a couple sentences ago, I'm probably just a masochist who doesn't know it yet, but the punishment for being unprepared is what a lot of this would be based around, along with said possibility of stimulated economy. I was a huge Dark Souls fan, and I always liked learning from my mistakes... though DS wasn't permadeath. Hrm....

I do like your idea, though, Zodd. It may not be what I wanted, as you said, but I think it would meet the needs of players better. It has been kinda frustrating trying to make silver this early, since finding Indian Feathers is such a pain. And it's odd that I say that because the day I got the skill, I found, like, 10 feathers, and after that day, I've only found three. I guess it's time to look at the wiki... Also, I don't know if this was intentional, I like your deep web Silk Road reference.

Taipion (that's a guy from DBZ, right? Pretty cool!), Your post makes a lot of sense. Although, wouldn't your examples be more like mercenary work? I'm not disagreeing with you that they are probably the most practical uses, so please don't misunderstand me. Maybe you're right, though. It is pretty risky to give away your base information like that.

I don't know Marp well enough to say whether or not he wouldbe the enemy here, Darwoth. Lol. Seems Like you guys are always going at it :lol:

Anyways, thanks everyone for your feedback! I really appreciate it. And I'll be sure to post my ideas in the proper subforum next time. Ciao!
SirFillingsworth

Postby Darwoth » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:03 am

SirFillingsworth wrote:Though I agree with Marp, risk very much outweighs reward. Maybe I'm a bit masochistic, but I think it would be very adrenaline fueling to be on foot, constantly on the lookout, then suddenly ambushed by a group of bandits. But hey, maybe that's just me.

see folks? i have been anointed in the saffron hue of competition for less than a day and already real players are drawn to our ranks. i bet this guy followed real man games like shadowbane and darkfall, even if they were made before he was born.

the only time marp and i have really been crossways was that one time back in the day i ruined his event by killing everyone, as pictured below.

Darwoth

Postby joshnpk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am

Darwoth wrote:
SirFillingsworth wrote:Though I agree with Marp, risk very much outweighs reward. Maybe I'm a bit masochistic, but I think it would be very adrenaline fueling to be on foot, constantly on the lookout, then suddenly ambushed by a group of bandits. But hey, maybe that's just me.

see folks? i have been anointed in the saffron hue of competition for less than a day and already real players are drawn to our ranks. i bet this guy followed real man games like shadowbane and darkfall, even if they were made before he was born.

the only time marp and i have really been crossways was that one time back in the day i ruined his event by killing everyone, as pictured below.

What game is this screenshot from?
I think I have a hat problem.
joshnpk

Postby Dallane » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Ultima online
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Next

Return to House of Burgesses