Do you like the temperature mechanic

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes : 77

Re: Remove Temperature Mechanic

Postby Darwoth » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:20 am

i like the temp mechanic as it is, in addition to making things more immersive and creating the potential for a random scenario between players adds a nice dynamic for the start of expeditions if they start in a winter.

people that make a habit of ***** about the cold sound just like colesie when madness came out and he went ***** about it for 3 months.
Darwoth

Postby Reviresco » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:58 am

Can you add an "Indifferent" option?
Reviresco

Postby Chrumps » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:30 pm

Currently the temperature depends on season and on the tile type. Can it be also dependent on elevation ? This way it is easy to make Providence (and all seaside regions) warmer and more hospitable for newbs.
That will also create a random pattern of warmer and cooler regions.
I am aware there are low altitude and even depression areas in the darkness part. If that's going to be a problem it can be solved by raising western part of the map and distributing slope over hundreds of tiles.

PS. Yes, I am waiting to see proximity technology applied to fires. (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19101)
Chrumps

Postby grimkid » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Chrumps wrote:Currently the temperature depends on season and on the tile type. Can it be also dependent on elevation ? This way it is easy to make Providence (and all seaside regions) warmer and more hospitable for newbs.
That will also create a random pattern of warmer and cooler regions.
I am aware there are low altitude and even depression areas in the darkness part. If that's going to be a problem it can be solved by raising western part of the map and distributing slope over hundreds of tiles.

PS. Yes, I am waiting to see proximity technology applied to fires. (http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19101)

This is briliant:d. pls do this
grimkid

Postby Paradoxyc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Darwoth wrote:i like the temp mechanic as it is, in addition to making things more immersive and creating the potential for a random scenario between players adds a nice dynamic for the start of expeditions if they start in a winter.

people that make a habit of ***** about the cold sound just like colesie when madness came out and he went ***** about it for 3 months.

Madness makes sense to me though, makes it very expensive to stay online, but atm cold seems to not be fully fleshed out and only really hurts new players.
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby Taipion » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:49 pm

Paradoxyc wrote:
Darwoth wrote:i like the temp mechanic as it is, in addition to making things more immersive and creating the potential for a random scenario between players adds a nice dynamic for the start of expeditions if they start in a winter.

Madness makes sense to me though, makes it very expensive to stay online, but atm cold seems to not be fully fleshed out and only really hurts new players.

That's how I see that, too.

It may or may not be a good idea to put this "test" onto new players, well, actually only those starting in a coldsnap, and it is very, very easy to make some jute cloths even before leaving the tutorial.
For the remainder of the game, the mechanic is totally irrelevant, except you really want to run around naked all the time, or you so much like to walk on snow in a coldsnap.
There are pretty much no relevant cases where this mechanic is involved except for the first 1-2 hours of the game at max,
maybe if you find yourself, upon loggin in, without homestead and fully naked in providence during a coldsnap... well, that too is kinda rare.

If this mechanic is going to stay, and provide anything to the game, and be it just another level of difficulty, it needs much, much love.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby KatrinaVlahos » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Temperature adds immersion to the game as a few players here have already stated. I remember installing mods for Skyrim just to torture myself and make the game feel more realistic and harder!
KatrinaVlahos

Postby Crithammer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:16 pm

So, I already had decent clothes when it was added, but does the standard clothes not keep you warm enough to not freeze? It's not like its an instant freeze either. You have enough time to check the wiki and learn how to make clothes that will keep you warm. I'm hoping the average newbie salemite isn't retarded, but new people not understanding the concept of keeping warm is making me doubt.
Crithammer

Postby Bleuwulf » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:22 pm

I guess from previous posts im the only one who goes exploring extensively...

it DOES have effects at different elevations,or at least in "snow" biomes,even with sufficient thermal rank for "cold snap" you will still get a hypo debuff and THIS time it's gonna drop alot faster! if I had not been careful with route picking AND lucky,id have frozen to death in the mountains.

Which I guess is what I "dont like" about it,that is: it makes sense,but i think it needs to be nerfed just a bit,as punishing people too harshly for exploring is going to the diminish the exploring aspect of the game even more severely than it already is,with impassable cliffs,cougars,bears,rats with disease,snakes with poison,and stumbling into darkness with bile drain all potential (and potentially fatal) scenarios...

EDIT: as far as the newbie aspect of it,it can be pretty harsh to start in a cold snap (i did) but clever and resourceful players will figure it out,I think if any adjustment is needed there perhaps a more eyecatching popup warning about the debuff,and even stating the "trick" that you can warm up in any building. (The Barn in Provi was a lifesaver!) :p
This game is full of cowards. Don't fear the braggarts and blowhards,it's the ones who CLAIM to be your friends that will lure you into ambush and backstab you.....
Bleuwulf

Postby Chrumps » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Didn't you realize that this coldsnap is WAY milder than it used to be ?
Chrumps

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations