Do you like the temperature mechanic

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes : 77

Re: Remove Temperature Mechanic

Postby Qiresea » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:56 am

Marinez wrote:Remove Temperature Mechanic for noobs.

remove the ice block feature for the first 2 days, like it is now for insanity? they would still notice that they are affected by low temperature but they could still walk and have time to make themselves some clothes
Darwoth wrote:It really is not fair that every time you try to jab at me you make yourself look more retarded than any retort i could come up with.

Γιά την Κυρία των τριών βασιλείων: της γης, του ουρανού και της θάλασσας.
Qiresea
Customer

Postby Nsuidara » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:07 am

for me Temperature Mechanic it's ok except Hypothermia and slow movespeed...
what mean ? when player got Hypothermia (start 97)
than player got instatnt slow movespeed...

why not ? about Hypothermia 95 and begin for slow movespeed ?
because when player see 97 Hypothermia, he begin know = he don't have good clothes about Temperature

when i create alt... if i dont have friend / other alts... be rly for new character hard... because this slow is BIG...
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Coveredwagon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:01 am

I think this mechanic is great to get rid of new players. As an advanced player you don't even notice it.

I don't know, maybe snow men as a defence are really great and interesting, and needing some preparation to go into the mountains sounds interesting too, but so far the whole mechanic seems to be an entry barrier for people who randomly find Salem.

But honestly we had this topic like 10 times before and the arguments on both sides are always the same.

A says newbe basher and otherwise boring mechanic
B says there are plenty of tool tips and people should just read

I am group A because I want more players and don't see any added challenge to Salem due to the cold mechanic as it is right now. The moment I wear any clothes on most slots the thermal value doesn't seem to matter anyway which is why I can just ignore that stat completely when I chose my gear. If there was cloth with lower value but more slots and clothes with a higher value and less slots, I'd maybe have to balance out certain clothes against each other in order to take care of the cold. But as it is right now, it doesn't add to ingame depth at all. If there was a need to get higher thermal for certain areas or biomes like Dallane suggested and you really had to max out your thermal for that, then the mechanic would at least become relevant for higher players and maybe less relevant for newbs (the way it should be in my opinion).

Off topic:
Crows are a slow down for farming, which is in my opinion still one of the easiest ways to make masses of money, so that is a little bit of a balancer for the income on different jobs against each other. Even with crows I think farming is the most efficient way to make money.
Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade that they never learn the trade.
Coveredwagon

Postby Kuddie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:04 am

Last night I was standing around in the wilderness, completely butt naked, for around 15minutes without moving. Didn't even freeze solid, so what are people whining about?
Kuddie

Postby grimkid » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:24 pm

hey .. you could make new accounts 1 month max have the first char temperature immune for 1 month + tooltips and stuff. And afterwards ***** them ...go iceage. :mrgreen:

I think temperature system is awesome , as long as you are not a newbie, in which case some help wopuld be usefull. Keep it, and add some helpful imunities to new players pls:)
grimkid

Postby jdmerc » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 am

Why not just give newbies an item that last for X amount of hours (logged in time only) that makes them immune to thermal? I think maybe 16-24 hours here, just enough for them to learn the basic skills needed to make clothing of their own. The purpose would be to make them realize that wearing warm clothes are a must otherwise they freeze. Include it in the tutorial, if you must, or just place an NPC that gives it away to new toons in town and claimable only once. If it's just a hidden buff and tool tips, the idea may not be ingrained as effectively.

P.S. I returned to Salem without reading the announcements, saw the hypothermia debuff and immediately started looking for things to warm me up. However newbies who don't know about the barn, or that campfires won't help them at all, will find it very hard to figure out how to get warm. Specially now that the houses nearby the town square are not accessible (they used to be, from what I remember).
jdmerc

Postby TotalyMeow » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:35 am

There is am automatic help screen for this now. Didn't you get it?
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby jesi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:15 am

jdmerc wrote:Why not just give newbies an item that last for X amount of hours (logged in time only) that makes them immune to thermal? I think maybe 16-24 hours here, just enough for them to learn the basic skills needed to make clothing of their own. The purpose would be to make them realize that wearing warm clothes are a must otherwise they freeze. Include it in the tutorial, if you must, or just place an NPC that gives it away to new toons in town and claimable only once. If it's just a hidden buff and tool tips, the idea may not be ingrained as effectively.

How about giving them a blanket before they get on the boat and telling them the new world can get really cold. The blanket would see them through a few hours of a cold snap and then fall to rags. The rags could be sufficient to make a ragcoat.
aptson wrote:
when i make posts on the forums i expect people to spell it out for me because i am new . .
jesi

Postby Kuddie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:54 am

TotalyMeow wrote:There is am automatic help screen for this now. Didn't you get it?

Did not get a tooltip regarding temperature when I made a brand new character a few days ago. Note, i've never seen this tooltip on any account/character
Kuddie

Postby jdmerc » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:08 am

TotalyMeow wrote:There is am automatic help screen for this now. Didn't you get it?

I did get it, which was how I knew to look for reeds to make some clothing and to head to the barn whenever I got below 80 in temperature.But like I said, newbies who won't know about the barn will find it very hard to get warm now that the nearby houses from the square are not accessible. They'll probably try those first and if they can't get inside, they'll start assuming everything else is not accessible.

Sidenote: It's everbloom again so that at least buys newer players some time to make clothes for the next cold snap.

Edit: Just checked and well, apparently some houses are accessible (the ones near the tea bushes). I was wrong. I must have been doing something wrong back when I tried them a few weeks ago.
jdmerc

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations