New Server (Poll)

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Would you like to play on a smaller map?

I would like to play on a smaller map (2-4x Popham size) and carry my character and store items over
5%
I would like to play on a smaller map (2-4x Popham size) and carry only store items over
9%
I prefer the current larger map
60%
I would like to play on a smaller map, but would not like to wipe Providence at all
20%
I am indifferent
5%

Total votes : 55

New Server (Poll)

Postby Paradoxyc » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Good afternoon everybody,

I'm posting this poll up to get a general idea of what you all think of making a new, smaller server. I think most of us can agree that Providence is too big for the current playerbase and even for an influx of new players.

What I am proposing is that a new server is opened with a much smaller size. It would be an interesting test to see which server becomes more popular within a few months to a year. By the end of the test period, the least popular server could be wiped, depending on what players/devs think about that.

In case of a wipe, I'd propose to at least let any Store items be fully transferable through the mailbox. As for characters, I think it would also be fair to be allowed one character transfer before a server wipe. If you have any feedback, please leave it below - preferably alternative ideas vs hate :P
Paradoxyc
Customer

Re: New Server (Poll)

Postby Nsuidara » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:14 pm

i think it's not good idea

for me, good idea is "resize current map"
or/and add new traver system "ship" and give new words (continent) for explore / settler etc.

then be more hard find other when will be 2-6 maps like current map :D and can "teleport" other maps :P
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Paradoxyc » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Nsuidara wrote:i think it's not good idea

for me, good idea is "resize current map"
or/and add new traver system "ship" and give new words (continent) for explore / settler etc.

then be more hard find other when will be 2-6 maps like current map :D and can "teleport" other maps :P

Resizing is a good possibility
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby TotalyMeow » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:00 pm

We talked this over extensively in the beginning. There are a few issues with this map like the stupid bump in the NW or that fact that the rivers don't interconnect into a cohesive river system (a thing which bothers me much more than anyone else), and the long travel times used to be an issue. We thought about opening a server with a smaller map and letting people move or stay, but we ultimately decided against it and added the fast-travel outposts and landmarks instead. We just don't want anyone's years of hard work becoming worthless or getting wiped.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Paradoxyc » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:08 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:We talked this over extensively in the beginning. There are a few issues with this map like the stupid bump in the NW or that fact that the rivers don't interconnect into a cohesive river system (a thing which bothers me much more than anyone else), and the long travel times used to be an issue. We thought about opening a server with a smaller map and letting people move or stay, but we ultimately decided against it and added the fast-travel outposts and landmarks instead. We just don't want anyone's years of hard work becoming worthless or getting wiped.

I agree, but would it ever be possible to open up a smaller second permanent map?
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby Nsuidara » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:13 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:We talked this over extensively in the beginning. There are a few issues with this map like the stupid bump in the NW or that fact that the rivers don't interconnect into a cohesive river system (a thing which bothers me much more than anyone else), and the long travel times used to be an issue. We thought about opening a server with a smaller map and letting people move or stay, but we ultimately decided against it and added the fast-travel outposts and landmarks instead. We just don't want anyone's years of hard work becoming worthless or getting wiped.

it's still possible
a) resize map
b) add new system travel/teleport to other maps both side
mean from Boston traver into Capucino Town (other big map) and swap from Capucino to Boston... etc.
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Kandarim » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:22 pm

... which would completely negate any effects from the smaller map, as you might have to track criminals over both anyhow, as I read you suggestion.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Paradoxyc » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Kandarim wrote:... which would completely negate any effects from the smaller map, as you might have to track criminals over both anyhow, as I read you suggestion.

Yeah i'd definitely prefer a smaller completely seperate map from Prov
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby Goodman12 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:03 pm

Honestly think it would be best having one permanent server....at least with the current population.
Riolic wrote:The only reason raids still happen is because Goodman is a stubborn *******.
The rest are just vets pk'ing newbs
Goodman12

Postby TotalyMeow » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:19 pm

Nsuidara wrote:it's still possible
a) resize map
b) add new system travel/teleport to other maps both side
mean from Boston traver into Capucino Town (other big map) and swap from Capucino to Boston... etc.

That's easy to say.

But if we shrink the map, what happens to all the towns and hermitages in the tiles we remove? It's just as bad as a wipe to just remove whole sections of the map. We looked in to moving towns out of the bump and placing them elsewhere so we could get rid of it, but it was unworkable.

Transferring goods from one server to another isn't as easy as you think. It messes with all the timers and while I don't understand the details, I'm told that fixing this would require an extensive rewrite. And what is the point? Make the server bigger? It doesn't need to be bigger, there is room in the current server for tens of thousands of players at the least.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations