[Wiki] Wiki Suggestion thread

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

[Wiki] Wiki Suggestion thread

Postby milonti » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Since the other thread got kinda bogged down by somewhat off-topic discussion, here is a new thread.

What changes would you like to see in the wiki?
milonti

Re: [Wiki] Wiki Suggestion thread

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm not sure we're ever going to get a proper manual for this game, so a few things probably need to be there with a focus on new players learning the game and interface. I think the menu tree is one of these, but it needs to be more compact and not interfere with presentation of what is going to be accessed 95% of the time. Once players are familiar with at least hunting through the menu (and making hotbars for necessary functions, like combat), they're never going to look at these again. However, things like the table of Inspirationals will be accessed multiple times a day by pretty much everyone.

Color scheme: lets find something that matches the game. I don't like blue on blue. I find it hard to read (and I'm not color blind). I do know a few color blind people that play games, and they find it very frustrating when simple things like this aren't considered on fan and informational sites when they have very few issues playing the game.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:01 pm

:D

lets see, what did we have on the list...

-multi-lingual support (coming soonTM)
-info rather than purty pics
(i personally prefer keeping pics as least and/or small as possible unless its a guide page.)
-matched table w/ the game screen to avoid confusion
-keep history for the licence thing
-bold, simple, and talk!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:14 pm

So I was doing some Google searches to see what all would come up to make Salem one of the primary hits. I decided to try to see where the wiki was at, and ran into three, yes THREE (3) different wikis just on wikia.com. Anyone know much about manipulating the hit rating to get the most appropriate site towards the top? I know that was a problem with the ringofbrodgar.com wiki for HnH when someone got tired of the restrictions on wikia.com and the overall site hasn't been maintained in something like two years (since w4 of HnH, anyway).
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby sabinati » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:06 pm

what search terms did you use? all the wikia stuff i can find is things named salem in other games. the terms salem wiki return salemwiki.info as the 5th result after some wikipedia articles for Salem, Salem, Oregon, Salem (Michigan band), and Salem witch trials.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:15 pm

There's a Salemwiki.net that takes top google search over Salemwiki.info. And this was exactly what happened with haven as well. Is there something we can do to get the best up-to-date wiki at the top of the google search? I'm not savvy of how that works, but I think it would be a boon to the beginner community if it was googlable. That is now a word.

Also: If they ever decide to put out a proper manual, I would love to send in my resume to write it :D It would be neat to write something that others are also editing and being given goals that others think are important too.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby sabinati » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Sevenless wrote:There's a Salemwiki.net that takes top google search over Salemwiki.info. And this was exactly what happened with haven as well. Is there something we can do to get the best up-to-date wiki at the top of the google search? I'm not savvy of how that works, but I think it would be a boon to the beginner community if it was googlable. That is now a word.

Also: If they ever decide to put out a proper manual, I would love to send in my resume to write it :D It would be neat to write something that others are also editing and being given goals that others think are important too.

what terms get salemwiki.net?
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:25 pm

sabinati wrote:
Sevenless wrote:There's a Salemwiki.net that takes top google search over Salemwiki.info. And this was exactly what happened with haven as well. Is there something we can do to get the best up-to-date wiki at the top of the google search? I'm not savvy of how that works, but I think it would be a boon to the beginner community if it was googlable. That is now a word.

what terms get salemwiki.net?

Weird. I was getting that a week ago, but now it's completely gone from the top 10 searches list.

Neeeever mind.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:51 pm

sabinati wrote:what search terms did you use? all the wikia stuff i can find is things named salem in other games. the terms salem wiki return salemwiki.info as the 5th result after some wikipedia articles for Salem, Salem, Oregon, Salem (Michigan band), and Salem witch trials.

It was "Salem MMO wiki".

If I do "Salem game wiki," I get the Wikipedia entry, the Paradox Plaza thread discussing the wiki, and then a bunch of salemwiki.info articles and the main page.

I mention this because of another thread that was posted with the poster having some issues finding some relevant game links, so I suggested a few more useful phrases to try. Anyway... haven't looked at any of the other sites to see what all they contain or if they've been stripping information from this one. Sad part is... the wikia.com sites may never get deleted.
MagicManICT

Postby Ketu » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:02 pm

sabinati wrote:what terms get [the .net]

Too bad you did not get the other top level domains when you got the .info.

Unfortunately a domainer grabbed the .com and is generating income from your traffic that goes there looking for the wiki.

And some guy in the UK has the .org and .net, with hosting accounts set up for the domains but nothing deployed past that.

The more the actual domains you are competing with are posted here in the forums with their full url - the more it helps those specific .coms, .nets and such.

Getting more links from paradox and seatribe domains will help the wiki .info with its results position. Also more links from game and player guild websites will help tons. The more one-way links to the wiki the better.
Ketu

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations