2017 Roadmap

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: 2017 Roadmap

Postby Judaism » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:44 pm

Lockpicking gates will also work right, I saw you mentioning the houses only which would be weird.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Lazun123 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:59 pm

Right on, that makes more sense. I like the idea of solving a puzzle:)

Any clue as to how raiding will be fixed? *cough Black Bile Drain cough*
WWJCD
Lazun123

Postby MaxPlanck » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Gates are already easier to break than walls, why should they be lockpickable?
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby TotalyMeow » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Judaism wrote:Lockpicking gates will also work right, I saw you mentioning the houses only which would be weird.

Well, houses are the thing you don't have the ability to get into right now, you have to destroy them, so I emphasize that this will work on houses. I don't want to talk about lockpicking too much here since the skill is still in early planning; I came up with the mechanic myself and John now has to go over my ideas and decide what is easier said than coded, what is unbalanced, etc, but my idea was that gates will be pickable but generally a good deal more difficult than houses and containers. I think with gates it will be likely you'll still want to break your way in.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby lachlaan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:12 pm

This practice you mention, will it be a sort of stat, or just a case of keeping up to date with how the puzzles look if they change in time? Because if it's a stat you gain for doing it repeatedly, what keeps raiders from practicing in their own base, not under brazier fire and not in any real danger? I guess even if it's just learning the puzzles, the possibility to do it at home slightly defeats the purpose, perhaps. Perhaps if you need to stay up to date and locks themselves cost quite a bit to spam to practice, but at that point it becomes as always a case of investment versus potential reward, like with bell-ing a pclaim.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Taipion » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:21 pm

Judaism wrote:Lockpicking gates will also work right, I saw you mentioning the houses only which would be weird.

¦] :P

Yea, if there would be a way to lockpick gates, even to get onto a claim temporarily, I'll tell you what I said already many times that would happen:
1.) everyone who can afford it makes a town claim, well, that's already what people do I guess
2.) everyone puts makeshift wall tiles in front of their outer doors so you cant even touch the gates without a TbF, takes a branch and 5 seconds to "open", walk through that "door", and "close" it behind you
3.) whenever you actually do a TbF, people would use the time until it gets active to block their gates with more serious stuff than makeshift, even brick tiles are dirt cheap except for the gates and starter posts of which neither you'd need to make in that situation, and which can be esily removed with a pclaim / by the pclaims owner even with low stats and splash-free if done in time
4.) the only unobstruckted entrys you'd see would sport ~10 gates in a gauntlet like way with defense in range, however many you'd need to make sure lockpicking wont get you through alive

=> Lockpicking would only be viable against clueless noobs and low value targets
=> anything else will require waste scents in addition, and most likely a TbF in addition

=> everyone has just a lot of more work and incovenience, and no one gains anything except really low value/lvl raiders
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Dallane » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:23 pm

It will be interesting to learn how springs will affect picked gates. I wonder if the lock breaks, if its simply unlocked until the owner relocks it or you have to pick your way back out.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Judaism » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Dallane wrote:It will be interesting to learn how springs will affect picked gates. I wonder if the lock breaks, if its simply unlocked until the owner relocks it or you have to pick your way back out.

From what she's saying its most likely leaning towards the last thing, with it being less relevant. Probaly the gates will close quickly and will result into many KO'd / screwed characters on claim since they can't get out. (Would still be way better in many cases than currently bashing all and everything)
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Dallane » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Judaism wrote:
Dallane wrote:It will be interesting to learn how springs will affect picked gates. I wonder if the lock breaks, if its simply unlocked until the owner relocks it or you have to pick your way back out.

From what she's saying its most likely leaning towards the last thing, with it being less relevant. Probaly the gates will close quickly and will result into many KO'd / screwed characters on claim since they can't get out.

Depends on how hard it is to pick locks i guess. It will require quite a bit of balancing to get right. Hopefully it will be worth the risk to break into places. I think it will be hard to balance right with how many layers of walls towns usually make and the hermits who have a simple layout. I just kinda imagine getting stuck in a fence when people have 2 layers next to each other and a spring comes back on you lol.

Will be really exciting to see how it all turns out.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Judaism » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Dallane wrote:Will be really exciting to see how it all turns out.

Yes, it could be a proper reason to pay your pclaims/bells and secure criminals more properly on relevant bases again.
Judaism
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements