Mapping Tool

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Mapping Tool

Postby Heffernan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:16 pm

Hey,

would anyone be able or willed to produce a Updated and better Mapping tool for salem to merge maps?

all the ones i tried are outdated or cant export to an image.
Heffernan

Re: Mapping Tool

Postby lachlaan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:01 pm

Hey, you watch your mouth. Salem Map Tool might be old but it can still handle itself with medium sized maps >.> And I find that it's the best one for manually merging stuff other tools seem to break when automerging. You should talk to the Hafen map tool guys and see about testing their tools with Salem and asking if they can perhaps tweak/fix any bugs you find, as they've likely not thought their stuff out for specific Salem situations. MapMerger and the TP Map tool are both decent when dealing with haven map tiles, but I've seen them horribly messing up Salem ones.

As for being willing to make a tool, i've been flirting the idea for ages. Capable of it though? between my lack of experience coding and my laziness, it'll never get done xD
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Heffernan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:06 am

lachlaan wrote:Hey, you watch your mouth. Salem Map Tool might be old but it can still handle itself with medium sized maps >.> And I find that it's the best one for manually merging stuff other tools seem to break when automerging. You should talk to the Hafen map tool guys and see about testing their tools with Salem and asking if they can perhaps tweak/fix any bugs you find, as they've likely not thought their stuff out for specific Salem situations. MapMerger and the TP Map tool are both decent when dealing with haven map tiles, but I've seen them horribly messing up Salem ones.

As for being willing to make a tool, i've been flirting the idea for ages. Capable of it though? between my lack of experience coding and my laziness, it'll never get done xD

i already tried contacting the Time Paradox guy to see if hes willing to release his code but so far no reply over my mail.
Heffernan

Postby lachlaan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:58 pm

As a random thought on mapping tools though, when pondering about making one my thoughts were along the lines of making one that doesn't really zoom in entirely, but rather renders smaller thumbnails for merging purposes, which allows you to later zoom in on regions you select instead of have to load a billion tiles every time, for the large maps that is.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Kralith » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Ah working Maptool would be nice, because i got an problem with version 3 of TP Maptool, it does not merge anymore, runs into a loop of creating tousands of empty backup directories.
I try now to switch back to last 2.x version, glad still to have it, because on dropbox of him i cant download it anymore.
Salem Wiki (PM me if you need help with editing)
Report corrections and new things here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kralith
Customer

Postby Kandarim » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:52 pm

IIRC the hardest part about maptools is the correct merging of maps that have changed slightly (i.e. where a base suddenly popped up, changing the minimap or the like)
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Heffernan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:35 pm

If I am not mistaken, you can replace images in the Images folder and/or add your own with the names you like in order to be used as markers.. The map tool will read them on startup.

Will add the screenshot feature in the next release.

2016-10-20 11:14 GMT+03:00 Kip Drordy <xxxxxxxxx>:

Thanks, is there a way you could include a Screenshot function? or a way to use own images for the map for salem?

Thanks.

Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:34 AM
To: Kip Drordy
Subject: Re: Hello

Hi!

It's been a while since I have played Salem but we had modified the tool and used it in Hafen.
Here is the latest available version: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l0wpscl194ea ... bA4ya?dl=0

We are currently working on the next version. It has been seriously reworked inluding another GUI and I am afraid I don't have the old source.

I will send you a message when we will have a stable version.

Best regards,
Telakh

2016-10-15 19:25 GMT+03:00 Kip Drordy <xxxxxxxx>:

Hey, i noticed u from the H&H and Salemthegame forum, and saw you made the Time Paradox Map Tool.

we have no good mapping tool at salem and the tools a bit outdated, think u could _if u have_ release the source code so people can work in it?

Thanks From Heffernan @ www.salemthegame.com
Heffernan

Return to Artifice & Arcana