Patch 1.2.1 Cold Shoulder

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Patch 1.2.1 Cold Shoulder

Postby Amnezia88 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:31 pm

Just add a small patch of snow/mountain on the 'tutorial' level. Make Chief-Lend-A-Hand guide you through this and explain what the freezing is all about. Let him explain that during cold times a person might need clothes to prevent catching a cold. A fire could help you get warm as well, something i've never heard of indeed so the confusion is understandable, let the Chief teach you that as well.
When you've succeeded i really think we should get the following pop-up before you leave the tutorial area.
Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying levels of guilt.
Amnezia88
Customer

Postby lachlaan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:44 pm

I've also thought at some points that the game could use more tooltips for certain mechanics, and some order in the skill list could also help, perhaps. The real question is, how far do you want to take it? What sort of tooltip is appropriate and what sort of tooltip caters to the .. well, i wanna say drooling idiots, but it's more a case of lazy gamers, that need to be spoonfed the info otherwise they turn the parody "How maek fire" into reality. Do we really want this sort of behaviour to be common? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS6m2A_3V04

Anyway, the type of tooltips I'm thinking of are more .. ones that make your curiosity peak and make you want to explore, which is the general idea of salem anyway. JC tries extra hard to make us all figure stuff out as it gets implemented, so to think that he would swich that philosophy to outright adding turtles with the tooltip "The hare's laziness lost him the race, but he needed only to wait 3 more years and that turtle ***** would die of old age, and then he'd be the fastest critter alive!".

I just can't see such outright freedom of information actually happening, and I can't say i'd even like to see it happening. The one thing that needs to be kept in mind is not penalizing noobs too harshly for being real, off the boat noobs to the game. Not fresh chars, but totally new to the whole concept. In that sense there's been a lot of input by the community about how to make the newbies live through the colder winters, and past that a few tooltips would do wonders for 'em. Hypothermia itself having a tooltip that says "Brrr I need to craft some more clothes, it's getting chilly" or something.

In terms of the skills being split into trees, I guess that could be done. Make sections for skills of the same category. Tailoring skills in a category that says "For the aspiring tailor" or the combat skills in a category with a tooltip "Durid is 4 fite". Tho as it is the skills' tooltips perhaps do decently to describe what stuff does. Some error messages could also include hints as to what you need to do to progress. Try to attack a cricket without bug hunting, get an error message saying "You flop around like a limp noodle in the wind, if only you'd learnt bug hunting you wouldn't suck so hard" >.>

As a final thought, my tooltip ideas need to be a lot shorter sentences xD
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby TotalyMeow » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Chrumps wrote:In this particular case it was not about thinking like a newbie but rather about checking what actions and crafts are available for a fresh char. Basic testing, any clerk could do it.

Last time I made a new character, I easily had a full jute set with a few slotted items before I left the tutorial. Early skills are so so easy. This is why I'm trying to pry more info out of you. And you all are wasting the opportunity on vitriol.

For those who have suggested things, thank you, and I agree fires should warm you up when standing at them.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Rifmaster » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:26 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:
Chrumps wrote:In this particular case it was not about thinking like a newbie but rather about checking what actions and crafts are available for a fresh char. Basic testing, any clerk could do it.

Last time I made a new character, I easily had a full jute set with a few slotted items before I left the tutorial. Early skills are so so easy. This is why I'm trying to pry more info out of you. And you all are wasting the opportunity on vitriol.

For those who have suggested things, thank you, and I agree fires should warm you up when standing at them.

Is there a tooltip on reeds that you can weave them to make plant fibre? If not that would help with making jute clothes.
Rifmaster

Postby toddesloan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:42 pm

JohnCarver wrote:Players may now make my Nutsack.

pwned

+1

lol
BigCountry
The Clintons (William and Hillary)

http://www.twitch.tv/bigcountry74/profile
toddesloan
Customer

Postby Chrumps » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:58 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:Last time I made a new character, I easily had a full jute set with a few slotted items before I left the tutorial. Early skills are so so easy.

The tutorial itself suggest very few things to be done in the noob island and most new people will click the canoe as soon as the Chief tells them to do so. Noob island is a great place of opportunities, you know that, most older players know that but a newbie just does what he is being told to.

Besides there are only a few reeds on the island. I guess it is random. When I played the tutorial it was like 5-8 of these. Without weaving skill it is not enough for even a jute cap.

Allowing us to warm at fire solves the biggest problem both in terms of noob play and in terms of game reality. If you add a popup about using fire, and wearing clothes it will be sufficient.

It will be acceptable if warming at fire causes slow blood drain - slow enough to regenerate by eating easily available food. A short delay would add to game reality. Usually it is a nice feeling to hold cold hands over a fire and only later it starts to hurt.

TotalyMeow wrote:This is why I'm trying to pry more info out of you.

What kind of additional info would you expect ?
Chrumps

Postby DarkNacht » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:06 am

The best solution to this is just to add an option to warm yourself by fires, but just enough to let you start regening humours, and to have characters learn Patchwork & Rags and make an article of clothing in the tutorial. There doesn't need to be a window for noobs to be immune or to have Prov warmed up, it should still be a nice little survival challenge for new players.
DarkNacht

Postby rustles » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:15 am

"Players may now make my Nutsack."

That's nice.
rustles

Postby DeepSixed » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:49 am

TotalyMeow wrote:

I made a run at the Snow caps yesterday. Gear was not normal...thermal +78. Yet after a few minutes in the snow I was instantly under effect of Hypotheria. I took branches and fire starter with me... but I could not use it on snow nor Mtn top terrain. I made it to real dirt and built a fire and still nothing and my hypothermia got worse... below 90...this with lit torch in hand standing next to lighted fire.

I eventually made it into 'low lands' where cougar got me. I had no defense. I could barely move normal, much less under assault. Once home... I lit the fire in house and hypothermia went away. STill.

I have not bothered to read all the posts here so if I say something that is already known, please forgive.

My first reaction is what a retarded POS code is this?

IS this a real game or a new BETA game. This is precisely how Devs manage new ideas for BETA testers; but I thought this was a fresh released game.

So what gives?!

Are we all back in Beta mode b/c John Carver is too lazy to test his ideas elsewhere?!

Two cents
DeepSixed

Postby Forungi » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:30 am

DeepSixed wrote:

I made a run at the Snow caps yesterday. Gear was not normal...thermal +78. Yet after a few minutes in the snow I was instantly under effect of Hypotheria. I took branches and fire starter with me... but I could not use it on snow nor Mtn top terrain. I made it to real dirt and built a fire and still nothing and my hypothermia got worse... below 90...this with lit torch in hand standing next to lighted fire.

I eventually made it into 'low lands' where cougar got me. I had no defense. I could barely move normal, much less under assault. Once home... I lit the fire in house and hypothermia went away. STill.

I have not bothered to read all the posts here so if I say something that is already known, please forgive.

My first reaction is what a retarded POS code is this?

IS this a real game or a new BETA game. This is precisely how Devs manage new ideas for BETA testers; but I thought this was a fresh released game.

So what gives?!

Are we all back in Beta mode b/c John Carver is too lazy to test his ideas elsewhere?!

Two cents

You ***** suck dude, that's all there is to it.
Forungi

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements