Saint Patrick Day Gifts

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Saint Patrick Day Gifts

Postby jakhollin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Tulgarath wrote:
JohnCarver wrote: The winner of Popham will receive:
1) $250.00 of Store Credit.
2) A statue of their character on Providence with their name for all future generations of Salemites to see and worship.
3) Their witch who ends the server back on Providence alive and safe.
4) A handful of their favorite treasures, animals or other nice things collected on Popham teleported to a base on Providence of their choosing.

Animals or other nice things...

That is exactly what screwed the team-play aspect of the thing. Immediately it turned people from working as a team to do it to only one person can win and gets the reward so screw your team.
jakhollin

Postby Kandarim » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:43 pm

or you could, you know, share the reward with your team ?
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby jakhollin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:15 pm

Kandarim wrote:or you could, you know, share the reward with your team ?

That was the plan but the way that is worded kinda lays the ground work for teams to turn on each other. That is all I am saying.
jakhollin

Postby KruskDaMangled » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:22 pm

jakhollin wrote:

That was the plan but the way that is worded kinda lays the ground work for teams to turn on each other. That is all I am saying.

Well, the premise of a "This is vicious PVP server, even for Salem" never meshed well with the idea of doing anything collectively anyway. Both for this way of ending things, and for the even more unlikely Ark. I mean, the idea is that this server is the one where you are even more at odds with everyone and even more antisocial. The kind of player that would attract and the basic idea of it actively work against anyone cooperating on something as daunting as the Ark.
KruskDaMangled

Postby jakhollin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:42 pm

KruskDaMangled wrote:
jakhollin wrote:

Well, the premise of a "This is vicious PVP server, even for Salem" never meshed well with the idea of doing anything collectively anyway. Both for this way of ending things, and for the even more unlikely Ark. I mean, the idea is that this server is the one where you are even more at odds with everyone and even more antisocial. The kind of player that would attract and the basic idea of it actively work against anyone cooperating on something as daunting as the Ark.

The expedition was not sold that way at first. Do you not recall when it came out tons of people were grouping up. It was even discussed in multiple occasions how it was going to take a group effort to win. In addition the current plan is to make Salem a group effort game. Just look at how the difficulty in making wrought continues to lean towards a group of people completing the process and not one person one week it was changed to consume phlegm the next there was a skill required. Be it that these were simple additions but they are all for the purpose of trying to make it a group activity and not some person using an alt.
jakhollin

Postby KruskDaMangled » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:25 am

That was the plan but the way that is worded kinda lays the ground work for teams to turn on each other. That is all I am saying.[/quote]

Well, the premise of a "This is vicious PVP server, even for Salem" never meshed well with the idea of doing anything collectively anyway. Both for this way of ending things, and for the even more unlikely Ark. I mean, the idea is that this server is the one where you are even more at odds with everyone and even more antisocial. The kind of player that would attract and the basic idea of it actively work against anyone cooperating on something as daunting as the Ark.[/quote]

The expedition was not sold that way at first. Do you not recall when it came out tons of people were grouping up. It was even discussed in multiple occasions how it was going to take a group effort to win. In addition the current plan is to make Salem a group effort game. Just look at how the difficulty in making wrought continues to lean towards a group of people completing the process and not one person one week it was changed to consume phlegm the next there was a skill required. Be it that these were simple additions but they are all for the purpose of trying to make it a group activity and not some person using an alt.[/quote]

Yes - working together as groups - engaged in intergroup conflict. That's the thing. You sign on with a group to compete with other groups. To expect all the groups to work together is ludicrous. Clearly it did not seem appealing to make it something one determined group could do by itself, and I don't think that would have been good, but still, the conflicting interest of "We are here so WE can get stuff/win at the expense of others" and "ALL OF YOU WORK ON THIS CYCLOPEAN SHIP" is kinda big.

I guess I meant it broad strokes, really. Both the kind of player that as a group of like minded individuals, wants Nice Things. For the Group, but not for Other Groups, and "Haha, I will suddenly and inevitably betray the Group. Because screw you guys!". Even if it was just the goal oriented group antagonistic to other groups, getting many such groups to work together when the premise is working against other groups on some level, well, you see my point.

I mean, I really feel like the tricky part should not have been the Ark. The tricky part should have been second guessing everyone else and generally engaging in strategically timed raids or actions so that you could both take more than your fair share of OTHER peoples animals/stop them from getting them on the Ark, and also get your animals on the Ark.

It should have been musical chairs, instead we got "make the building and the chairs from scratch. This will require growing trees and making your own tools and hauling the material a hundred miles". An opportunity was missed for an actual "game" and instead it turned into "screw this, I'mma explore the entire map and be a Witch and get animals anyways, this is much more to my taste".

Which suits that person, sure. It makes sense for Darwoth and the others to do that. Of course it does. I'm sure it will serve him/them well upon their eventual (much forestalled, seriously, **** or get off the pot). But the game isn't just about one person. Well it can be but that would be a disgusting waste of time for almost everyone involved, devs and players alike.
KruskDaMangled

Postby Tulgarath » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Care bears could go to popham, get animals and build an ask and get something out of it. Not to mention bring back characters.

All this without competing for top witch. The server had attainable goals for all. ..people just ***** because it wasn't how THEY would do it.
Tulgarath

Postby DeepSixed » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:18 pm

I will never go to Popham. I created a toon there for the sole purpose of looking at the Ark.

I've beaten to death why this was the worst idea in history of the game; and why I won't even attempt to compete.

It's far past time for JC to give over and move animals to Providence.

Failing to do so is socially, numerically, and common ***** sense - idiocy. He's doing it on purpose; b/c in his mind this game is dead.

SC isn't the only crowd funded game coming out. JC wants population to an absolute minimum so he can shape it to his ideal; but real sharks here will never play more than the tiniest ponds... by design... and I won't hesitate to let gamers elsewhere know it.

That's the real fallout here. It's not what JC limits us too... but what you can bring forward somewhere else...and it won't take much for those who've been here an moved on to completely sour the pot of those who attempt to move on later

Seriously- if you think you can bargain off being a guild leader, town mayor, etc... from a game where the Dev made damn sure your rule was nothing... if you think that's worth ****...you truly will get screwed in short order... and far sooner than you imagine

What you do is your biz.. but know now your time here is wasted if you think it anything more than personal recreation. EVER.

Goes for Modding too... worthless the lot of you. A finite number of folks? Who cares how many there are under those conditions.
DeepSixed

Postby Strakknuva225 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:26 pm

DeepSixed wrote:I will never go to Popham. I created a toon there for the sole purpose of looking at the Ark.

I've beaten to death why this was the worst idea in history of the game; and why I won't even attempt to compete.

It's far past time for JC to give over and move animals to Providence.

Failing to do so is socially, numerically, and common ***** sense - idiocy. He's doing it on purpose; b/c in his mind this game is dead.

SC isn't the only crowd funded game coming out. JC wants population to an absolute minimum so he can shape it to his ideal; but real sharks here will never play more than the tiniest ponds... by design... and I won't hesitate to let gamers elsewhere know it.

That's the real fallout here. It's not what JC limits us too... but what you can bring forward somewhere else...and it won't take much for those who've been here an moved on to completely sour the pot of those who attempt to move on later

Seriously- if you think you can bargain off being a guild leader, town mayor, etc... from a game where the Dev made damn sure your rule was nothing... if you think that's worth ****...you truly will get screwed in short order... and far sooner than you imagine

What you do is your biz.. but know now your time here is wasted if you think it anything more than personal recreation. EVER.

Goes for Modding too... worthless the lot of you. A finite number of folks? Who cares how many there are under those conditions.

holy ****, are you still here?
Professional Beaver Clubber
"Knife to meet you."
Strakknuva225

Postby KruskDaMangled » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:31 pm

He does seem to be in one of his periodic spells of inarticulate belligerence.
KruskDaMangled

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements