Salem V1.2 Exploring the Bowels

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Salem V1.2 Exploring the Bowels

Postby AFullCodpiece » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:34 am

With the introduction of ambergris will pilgrims be able to craft artisan parfumes in the future?
Marp's Musk?
Drakkar Carvver?
Totally Meow?
Eau de Dallane?
TotallyMeow's Spicy Nugget - "Fabas indulcet fames"
AFullCodpiece

Postby Lusewing » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:46 am

Don't forget 'Death' by Darwoth.
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby TotalyMeow » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:44 pm

I like that my name is perfume ready. :lol:
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby DeepSixed » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:29 am

Are Events still spawning?

I've been taking the occasional walk-about over the area I'm in... haven't seen anything out of the ordinary along game trail, zone, or mountain pathway. Is it still 100's of events or a handful?

Is there anything on that shows up on Mini-map indicating something unusual or do you literally have to see it in front of you as you wander around?

(and if nothing shows up on mini-map... I would suggest you fix that soon if you intend others to appreciate your efforts.)
DeepSixed

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:08 am

There are still plenty of events, but if you keep 'exploring' the same area over and over, you'll see a lot less of them. And there is music that plays when there is something nearby.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby DeepSixed » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:35 am

TotalyMeow wrote:There are still plenty of events, but if you keep 'exploring' the same area over and over, you'll see a lot less of them. And there is music that plays when there is something nearby.

Ah - a wrinkle

Custom client... if you check off mute violin player (in town)... appears to mute out all game music... at least that's been my experience. Someone spoke of music in new Windmill, but I, who built it, have never heard it... suspect it's the same with events.

I have that portion of the game hidden... ugh... what a choice.
DeepSixed

Postby Reviresco » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:39 am

DeepSixed wrote:
TotalyMeow wrote:There are still plenty of events, but if you keep 'exploring' the same area over and over, you'll see a lot less of them. And there is music that plays when there is something nearby.

Ah - a wrinkle

Custom client... if you check off mute violin player (in town)... appears to mute out all game music... at least that's been my experience. Someone spoke of music in new Windmill, but I, who built it, have never heard it... suspect it's the same with events.

I have that portion of the game hidden... ugh... what a choice.

Well I know you can have music disabled, but not sure about the violin player.

I've found 5 exploration events while I had music (not the violin player) disabled and I've heard the little jingle each time. Just mute him when you are in Prov.
Reviresco

Postby DeepSixed » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:43 am

So just a sound warning? Nothing on mini-map?

What have you found/acquired?
DeepSixed

Postby Reviresco » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:24 am

DeepSixed wrote:So just a sound warning? Nothing on mini-map?

What have you found/acquired?

It plays a little tune. I think it's jingling with strings being plucked, but I can't remember. It's very noticeable, though. I've found dead whale events on the beach (gives blubber and whale bone), an obsidian slab in a crag, and I just found three broken down wagons full of sugar/pepper in grassland (you have to destroy them). I'm not sure if biome matters at all (other than whales have to be beached on the coast).

I just have my volume high and my music muted. The exploration event jingle is not dependent on game music volume, though it might not play if you have the violinist muted. Haven't tried it.

Most of the events I've seen are very noticable, though the obsidian slab might be hard to see if it's far away and it spawns on a dark ground biome like coniferous. I'm not sure if it only spawns in crags/badlands.

http://i.imgur.com/jC1GExg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/j4LHnD2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YW9e4h5.jpg

I would guess the best chance of finding an exploration event is to follow the coasts in a canoe. I'm very rarely on the coast and I've found two so far. Since I don't see whale bones being sold left and right, I assume I just got really lucky. Cruising the coast can be pretty dangerous, though.

The obsidian one was outside my base. The whales were between my former saltwater fish traps turned semi-safe fishing area and Providence. The wagons, I was just being foolish and foraging on my main b/c I had been making glass for hours and hours and hours and I needed to move and see anything but mine interior.

Edit: You'll need 75kg of encumbrance if you want to carry all 150 obsidian from the obsidian slab event. Little less if you have a backpack.
Reviresco

Postby KruskDaMangled » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:09 am

Well, there is a lot of coast, and it's easy to cover, but that also makes you likely to run into other people looking for whale carcasses/whales.

For some this will be a desirable outcome, for others, not.

But the temptation of delicious whale loot should tempt some out of the bomb shelters they call bases, hopefully.
KruskDaMangled

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements