Salem Customer Rewards

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Salem Customer Rewards

Postby Taipion » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:01 am

Dallane wrote:
Taipion wrote:
Dallane wrote:Also whats to stop people from changing their IPs? Or even Macs for that matter.

Taipion wrote:A professional approach would be, to group accounts by IP or mac adress or whatever, whereas you dont even need super smart algorithms to merge/evaluate data over long time and prevent (incredibly unlikely) false positives.
I know this can be evaded, but the effort needed to do so in larger quantity ...I'd say who'd does that deserves a present or two more.

Yes, I'm aware of what you typed. I should of quoted you instead of going with the flow of a conversation since it was mostly a response to you. Changing your IP/MAC isn't anything special and would happen if they used your idea. There is ZERO effort in this. Essentially you just re-created the same problem and taught a few people how to be a script kiddie. If he did go with that idea then he shouldn't of announced it as people wouldn't be aware of how rewards were being given out and this would be much more successful.

Therefore I would prefer more sophisticated means of identifying one PC, there is a ton of information that can do that, yet this can be all evaded as well. (with more effort though)

I dare to say the vast majority of players does not care enough or is generally unable to dodge this, and whoever takes this extra effort just to get an additional gift that is not really thaaat important, he or she should get it.
Mind you, you'd need to do the extra work every time or it would fail.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Dallane » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:07 am

Taipion wrote:Therefore I would prefer more sophisticated means of identifying one PC

How would they do this?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Taipion » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:15 am

Dallane wrote:
Taipion wrote:Therefore I would prefer more sophisticated means of identifying one PC

How would they do this?

You can basically uniquely identify many of the PCs components, and it is not as easy to spoof them like a mac adress (well, probably it is, but not as widely used), though, you could just use a VM and be done for this.
(that would basically bypass all that, except you say VMs don't qualify as PC for us so you get nothing :D)

Usually you would think of doing this for license management and such, but for that goal it is rather bad and has its shortcomings like when the user would change a part that you use to identify the PC, which would be completely unproblematic in this case as you just want to identify accounts that run on one certain PC, and not grant access to something for that one PC.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Dallane » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:29 am

Taipion wrote:
Dallane wrote:

How would they do this?

You can basically uniquely identify many of the PCs components, and it is not as easy to spoof them like a mac adress (well, probably it is, but not as widely used), though, you could just use a VM and be done for this.
(that would basically bypass all that, except you say VMs don't qualify as PC for us so you get nothing :D)

Usually you would think of doing this for license management and such, but for that goal it is rather bad and has its shortcomings like when the user would change a part that you use to identify the PC, which would be completely unproblematic in this case as you just want to identify accounts that run on one certain PC, and not grant access to something for that one PC.

I think you are digging into a complex solution that isn't really needed. The customer thing really solves the issue and becoming a customer is extremely cheap.

Some of the things you have said simply aren't true or kosher with most people
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Darwoth » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:42 am

current solution is just fine, taipion should stick to kicking a soccerball and either not be a deadbeat or stfu.
Darwoth

Postby salemwutwut » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:16 am

if it gets to Steam I'll probably spend some, like I unfortunately did in a few F2P, they give localized alternatives(to paypal) that are way easier to use in some countries
Last edited by salemwutwut on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salemwutwut

Postby Paradoxyc » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:33 am

Taipion wrote:
honeymilk wrote:Even IP addresses would have its flaws since one line can have multiple users, I am only playing with my husband and we share everything so I would be all ok with that method. But other situations where players do not share everything it would cause issues again. But it might be better than going after the customer group.

I do understand how the rewards/gifts or whatever needs a system, but some people can't afford 1.99 on a game- no matter how little that will make it or break it for me, It might be the money you need for bread that week.

Well, I'd doubt someone who can afford to play salem for a few hours each week can't afford 2$ once, maybe I am wrong here but it hope not.

On the IP thing, yea, using mac adress instead or a small fingerprint of the PC would be better, yet some people might say that's too much in terms of personal data n stuff and yea it still can be evaded if you know how,
but after all there ARE ....MUCH....better ways to determine the distribution of gifts than using payment data.

If JC says he needs the money, and they are now only offering "gifts" to paying customers, that's totally OK.
(It's kicking some players in the nuts and putting salem management in a bad light, but maybe that is just what JC wants, so whatever.)
What is not OK is saying you need/want to do it this way because of reasons, that's just not right.

No offense, but as Dallane mentioned on a thread of mine before, this is a sandbox. To be fair, the Devs shouldn't be giving us any gifts at all. If they wish to give these gifts to supporters of the game that doesn't seem to be a kick in the nuts to anyone.
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby Faultierstein » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:44 am

hey long as you don't make it pay to play i'm good
Faultierstein

Postby Tulgarath » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:29 pm

You have to pay ONCE guys. This is silly. If you still can't, message him and see if he can make a separate rank. ..

non-customer, non-robot. :)
Tulgarath

Postby er-queent8r » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:45 am

K33P ***** AB⏀∪T THIS S⏀ JC ⋈ILL ↁ3CIↁ3 T⏀ R3M⏀V3 ALL GIFTS.
pietin1 wrote:this was for JC only not his ass lickers.

Proud to be a JC ass licker!
er-queent8r

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements