Happy New Year! 2016 Road Mappish

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Happy New Year! 2016 Road Mappish

Postby Tulgarath » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:54 pm

gother44 wrote:
Procne wrote:Look, this issue has been brought up many times over the years, by people using much better argumentation than you.

How do you think, why this people did that? Because Salem have unique and tasty mechanic and gameplay. But griefers and pvp-atmosphere close game for them.

Procne wrote:It's just that devs have no intention to make and supprt pve server

Why then in road map there was text about it? :P

Procne wrote: learn to protect yourself and just stay away from danger

in free-pvp server with perma-death there are no another way except meet you death or violence one day. As The Mysterious Stranger said higher on topic - "You are no longer a noob in Salem once you've been robbed, You are no longer a beginner in Salem once you've robbed someone else, and You have really only begun to play Salem once you have been killed."
So, this is the Wall, that stop some category of good people to play this game.

You say, that devs have no intention to make and support another server. That's a question. Why? Providence is not profitable? I don't know, but think it give some money for devs. But why then do not make another one with little changes? And easy increase income with this simple action.

JC pointed it out on the roadmap to make it clear that he didn't want to start up this argument again. Just like pathfinding, he has made it clear it won't happen. Addressing an issue before its mentioned, does not mean they are planning it. Rather, they are trying to preemptively avoid this interchange AGAIN.

A PVE server, while I could see the value of it, would cripple the PVP server because both populations are needed for the game to flourish. Something people seem to always forget. Its finding that balance of coexistence which is the real challenge. Of course the devs could "sell out" and completely wipe out PVP and make it a full PVE cash cow, but they don't want to. Part of the fun of Salem, like other games that held risk is, just wandering outside your gates is a risk..just logging on is a risk. I guess you never played games like UO or DF? If you take that away from Salem, you really just made this a cute little Java game. You are welcome to develop that one yourself and make your money, since it is such an obvious untapped resource. But the player base and devs in Salem want risk, the level of course varies and is a constant balancing act... but the game has already given in quite a bit on this argument.
Tulgarath

Postby Nikixos » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:51 pm

I have never been killed or heavily raided. You are just too dumb to realize half of the game means protecting from other people.

Witches are basically griefers with supernatural powers. Everything revolves around the paranoia of being raided or killed. First months i played back in roanoke i actually dreamed of being raided in nightmares rofl and i kept building brazier over brazier.

Why build walls braziers torchposts if it will be pve? better learn to play the game than try to change it.

Also i want my freaking day night cycle. Can't you have double shadow indicator? Besides, darkness never go 100% obscure. Only when marp modifies the game we can truly see dark.

It would make the game feel more alive
Image Image
Nikixos

Postby gother44 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:29 pm

Tulgarath wrote:A PVE server, while I could see the value of it, would cripple the PVP server because both populations are needed for the game to flourish.

Tulgarath wrote: Part of the fun of Salem, like other games that held risk is, just wandering outside your gates is a risk..just logging on is a risk.

NO! no, no, no. It's a self-deception, mistake to think so. PvE-players in such Salem, just a cows, which will be sacrifice as fun to PvP-oriented players sooner or later. It's a truth of a life. At this concept only and ONLY pvp-players get fun from game.
Yeah, you may be farmer and make you garden some months, get fun from it. Till you meet griefer. And sooner or later all this positive will be destroyed just for fun another player. And no EXCEPTION for that. And than later it will be happen the more negative it will be. You tell that such concept give game flourish??? Pfff... It's not even funny - compare great negative emotions for one versus little fun for another.
gother44

Postby Tulgarath » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:49 pm

gother44 wrote:
Tulgarath wrote:A PVE server, while I could see the value of it, would cripple the PVP server because both populations are needed for the game to flourish.

Tulgarath wrote: Part of the fun of Salem, like other games that held risk is, just wandering outside your gates is a risk..just logging on is a risk.

NO! no, no, no. It's a self-deception, mistake to think so. PvE-players in such Salem, just a cows, which will be sacrifice as fun to PvP-oriented players sooner or later. It's a truth of a life. At this concept only and ONLY pvp-players get fun from game.
Yeah, you may be farmer and make you garden some months, get fun from it. Till you meet griefer. And sooner or later all this positive will be destroyed just for fun another player. And no EXCEPTION for that. And than later it will be happen the more negative it will be. You tell that such concept give game flourish??? Pfff... It's not even funny - compare great negative emotions for one versus little fun for another.

I've played the full spectrum of PVP in games for years. I have been killed, and done the killing. The problem is people come here and think there is no risk, and that is their fault. Turn the sound on in the tutorial, it tells you its not safe. If you kept playing, you accepted the risk. The rest of the player base has.. except for the few, like yourself, that demand this newly found game of theirs should change everything to cater to their likes and dislikes. Instead of sitting and complaining when/if you get raided, defend. There is a great satisfaction in achieving things, even defense. Try it.. post a map to your claim and I am sure there are plenty on here willing to show you the joys of defense!!
Tulgarath

Postby gother44 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:55 pm

I say more. Gamers is a real people. Then you play enough in game you like, you tired to your avatar, to you home and many things. And see the death of you char or destroying your work make a real pain. Much real then joy after murdering or griefing. And I want ask devs, you guys really want to bring yet more pain to our real world with your game? Really? Think about it.
gother44

Postby Procne » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:00 pm

No, they just make a game. If it brings you pain then why play it?

You still don't get it. Devs don't want to make a different game. This is how they want it to be. If you don't find it fun then leave. You gave your feedback, everyone understands that you would like it if there was no PvP. But it won't be removed and you have to accept that.
Procne

Postby Icon » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:04 pm

god, this guy is still talking >.< pve salem is the exact same thing as going to a strip club with cardboard cutouts of boobs. sure, you get the general idea of whats there, but there is no risk of getting lipstick on your collar.
Icon

Postby Tulgarath » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:07 pm

gother44 wrote:I say more. Gamers is a real people. Then you play enough in game you like, you tired to your avatar, to you home and many things. And see the death of you char or destroying your work make a real pain. Much real then joy after murdering or griefing. And I want ask devs, you guys really want to bring yet more pain to our real world with your game? Really? Think about it.

They actually WANT that emotional attachment, because then loss is greater. Then maybe you will learn to play the game as it was intended. Full of risk and reward? Something lost in today's mmo genre.
Tulgarath

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:14 pm

gother44 wrote: And I want ask devs, you guys really want to bring yet more pain to our real world with your game? Really? Think about it.

Yes. Its actually our mission statement as a gaming company.

http://www.mortalmoments.com/about-us/
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby TotalyMeow » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:17 pm

gother44 wrote:You say - we don't need all pizza, give us just this little piece, there are a big tomato on it, which we loved.

That's exactly what we say, actually.

gother44 wrote:Huh? Happy farm don't have reasons to make crops. Minecraft don't have reasons to make towns, castles, mechanisms... But it is very popular games. And people do there what they want. Doing great things without any pvp.

Sure, but those games are based on different principles. Minecraft is specifically based around the creative building and there is very little else going on there.

Some people like to conflict. But much more people don't like it.

And because of that, there are many, many, many MMOs and other games out there that have little to no PvP for all those people too afraid or too lazy or too nervous to play in a hardcore PvP game. But there are very very few games based entirely around PvP and the games like Salem with all that extra crafting and building and such are probably to be counted on one hand. We're not trying to be huge like WoW, though that would be nice, we are trying to fill a niche for people who want a game like this one and can't find it anywhere else.

Now, this is really a conversation we've had before, and something we've explained before, so if you want to talk about it more, please just PM me or I guess you can make a thread, but this is getting to be a derail.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements