Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Postby Tulgarath » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:59 am

JohnCarver wrote:"Sieging" has always been largely balanced around how long we wanted for somebody to 'breach' which was an amount of time we decided each base and wall-type represented for the player time invested behind it.

We also expected any faction of "Siegers" to have 10 players doing so.

I don't have my original Notes, but it was something like this.

Split Rail = 1 hour
Stone Hedge = 4 hours
Plank = 8 hours
Brick Wall = 24 hours.

That was of course with a few braziers of coverage and assuming they were there actually filling the braziers but unable to repair the spot under attack. If you bring a team of 5 you can double those numbers. If you bring a team of 1 then you can 10x those numbers.

Couple that with the idea that it was going to take APPROX. 8 hours to run out braziers from somebody who is NOT actively defending.

Those were the time constraints we originally balanced for. As people came up with more creative methods, utilized tea far heavier than we expected, and in rare cases brought characters far larger than we expected these numbers have become less and less the foundation of raiding. However, until we dramatically change the 'risk of death' during a siege I don't find it reasonable to change the time investment.

As far as 'alerting' me to a 'balance' we are not aiming for in the short-term while this is all looked over if the numbers above are dramatically out of whack I have no problem coming to visit a raid and evaluating if such a thing is true.

Well, it certainly gives a perspective as to why when raiders cry foul, JC responds with a stern stance, and disappointment at times. He is expecting the raiders to take far more time than they are remotely accustomed to currently, and they already feel slighted. Perhaps this will awaken the player bases eyes a bit. Also, it shows how Popham really does allow for extremely fast raids compared to the model.
Tulgarath

Postby Judaism » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:12 am

The current factions are sadly not large or competitive enough for these changes. This update will most likely be the end of many fun stories.
Last edited by Judaism on Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:13 am

We have discussed the possibility of having the 2nd expedition be a speed server of sorts. With the time gates all being 5x as fast (F&F, Inspiration etc.) and the gain of prof and humours double or triple. The idea to help those looking to get into (or back into) the action or those possibly scared of the massive and sometimes unreasonable investment it takes to raid people of providence. I would argue that difficulty of raiding in providence is due to an unreasonable amount of time people have invested into said bases in the first place which makes it unreasonable for us to let those bases fall without massive commitments from the raiders.

Darwoth wrote:it isnt unfair, someone with higher bb can steal a lot more **** and take a much larger initial damage load.
no reason you cant regen to half then go in and be just like the other guy, and regenning to full over 5 minutes would be stupid. i would literally destroy any town on the server in a half an afternoon with a system like that.

Besides. We will see what the future brings. If Darwoth can destroy any town on the server in half an afternoon with a full regen every 5 minutes, a full regen every 12 minutes means it will take slightly longer than an afternoon? I've wrecked enough bases on the test server under the existing mechanics to know its where I want them. And I"m completely fine if where I am willing to raid is a line in the sand too far for everybody else right now. As is a reoccuring thread in this series of changes the object of the latest changes will be to see if the action of raiding itself can become more fun or not.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby salemwutwut » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:13 am

I could see Salem having some kind of RTS competitive quick mode, small map and some teams. Kinda like Age Of Empires 2 but longer matches.
salemwutwut

Postby Tulgarath » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:35 am

salemwutwut wrote:I could see Salem having some kind of RTS competitive quick mode, small map and some teams. Kinda like Age Of Empires 2 but longer matches.

As much as it is 'mainstream' I could see Salem mechanics sped up into an arena type scenario with objectives.

An expedition scenario in which they place one faction in control of a fort, and the server tries to siege it. Give it 2 weeks, then swap around.. have factions sign up kind of thing.

Varying different scenarios to escape the 'normal' Providence for a while.
Tulgarath

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:38 am

We certainly had our reasons to play it 'safe' with the first expedition, wanting to try out something that was as close to the core game of Salem that we could with a few mechanics as curve balls. As it turns out, I do believe the core 'pvp' game of Salem is too slow and too grindy to attract a large enough playerbase to support just that single play style. Thats why an accelerated expedition server where once again we leave 'core' salem alone but simply try to eliminate the game through faster character progression might be a nice experiment. For the time being though, we will be spending a bit of time each month seeing if we cannot introduce mechanics to help the Pophamians along.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:58 am

Mini Update #1
-----------------

*There is now a sound effect when 'locking' onto an object to give an audible queue you have done so. This should work with Grindstones, Whittler Bench, Carpenter's Bench etc.

POPHAM
----------
*P-Claims that are out of silver are now lootable without leaving crimes or scents. This is the first of what will be a series of changes to hopefully entice and/or speed up the existing populations ability to build the ark and end the server. Note that I may make the same change in the future for Town Bells as well.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Norelieth » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:00 am

JohnCarver wrote: For the time being though, we will be spending a bit of time each month seeing if we cannot introduce mechanics to help the Pophamians along.

As Pophamite, I suggest our families in Providence could help us sending goods by the postmaster.They have sent us to this far away land without clothes, tools, veggies and seeds. They could participate in the construction of the Ark (from they will finally have the benefit) if they provide the basic needs of their so poor heirs. Let them pay for that. Please make justice for us.

Your respectful Noriane.

PS I know Providence and Popham are 2 differents servers but maybe you could find a way to do it. Thank you for all your efforts.
Pour être heureux, vivons cachés.
Norelieth

Postby LukeSkywalker » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:05 am

Is only way build iron wall is spend 50000 silver
LukeSkywalker

Postby Tulgarath » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:15 am

JohnCarver wrote:Mini Update #1
-----------------

*There is now a sound effect when 'locking' onto an object to give an audible queue you have done so. This should work with Grindstones, Whittler Bench, Carpenter's Bench etc.

POPHAM
----------
*P-Claims that are out of silver are now lootable without leaving crimes or scents. This is the first of what will be a series of changes to hopefully entice and/or speed up the existing populations ability to build the ark and end the server. Note that I may make the same change in the future for Town Bells as well.

*hugs*
Tulgarath

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements