Remove bear roar damage.

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Remove bear roar damage.

Postby Jalpha » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:50 am

One thing I will say is that bears fear effect should end when the bear dies. Other than that this is a game not real life, and the ways for simulating real life situations are often somewhat out of the ordinary.
Professor Gu Zhongmao wrote:These projects are beautiful to scientists, but nightmarish to engineers
Jalpha

Postby zekkan7 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Bears have a lot to do with player base, I'm not the only one turned away from this added patch. Someone being scared unconscious is insanely rare and only happens from panic attacks.

When the person doesn't choose to do any action and the situation becomes over whelming, which normally only happens if the person has mental disorders. There are zero articles of anyone ever being knocked unconscious by a bears roar is a fact .

I could understand logically if they were applied fear and then it stacked up from constant roaring that the player then proceeds to have a buff of panic attack. Though direct damage from a bears voice? Come on now, you know how many people jump into bear exhibits. Just is no point to this conversation now, it's clear the developers are just adding things that are easy to add other then realism because it would take 8 months a moderator said to make a more realistic bear.
zekkan7

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Jalpha wrote:One thing I will say is that bears fear effect should end when the bear dies. Other than that this is a game not real life, and the ways for simulating real life situations are often somewhat out of the ordinary.

I don't know how much you've lived, but I have been truly scared to the point of thinking I was a dead man (and that can be from straight up fright induced cardiac arrest or from the threat itself). You don't recover immediately after whatever scared you goes away. It takes days.

No idea if the bug regarding the fear effect has been fixed, but there is supposed to be a time limit to it if I recall one of jorb's posts correctly.

I don't know about anyone else, but bears are large, scary animals capable of decapitating a man. I'd probably **** my pants if I had to face one hand to hand, even if it was a "small" black bear.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Dallane » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but bears are large, scary animals capable of decapitating a man. I'd probably **** my pants if I had to face one hand to hand, even if it was a "small" black bear.

I ran across a "small bear" when i was visiting my uncle when he goes on vacation in the boonies. I **** my pants as he unloaded a .44 mag clip into the bear trying to get it off the property and stay away. No ***** were given from the bear
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby darnokpl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:26 pm

Dallane wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but bears are large, scary animals capable of decapitating a man. I'd probably **** my pants if I had to face one hand to hand, even if it was a "small" black bear.

I ran across a "small bear" when i was visiting my uncle when he goes on vacation in the boonies. I **** my pants as he unloaded a .44 mag clip into the bear trying to get it off the property and stay away. No ***** were given from the bear

Bears fear is so OP and range weapon is underpowered ¦]
darnokpl

Postby Dallane » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:37 pm

darnokpl wrote:Bears fear is so OP and range weapon is underpowered ¦]

lolo yeah rly
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Jalpha » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:07 pm

I see your point. It would be nice if it at least diminished rapidly once the bears life ends though.

I have no problem with Bears being tough, I actually encourage it, and while people will most likely hate me for saying it, I think Bears are too easy to kill currently. I just don't like being able to kill a bear fairly easily, yet be killed afterwards by a Black Bile drain which I seem unable to tank. Perhaps it's personal preference, or perhaps it's flashbacks to... Better not say.
Professor Gu Zhongmao wrote:These projects are beautiful to scientists, but nightmarish to engineers
Jalpha

Postby staxjax » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:09 pm

There are ways to prevent accumulating too much fear from fighting a bear.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby darnokpl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:23 pm

Jalpha wrote:... yet be killed afterwards by a Black Bile drain which I seem unable to tank. Perhaps it's personal preference, or perhaps it's flashbacks to... Better not say.

Get 50+ BB for your char and take some cabbage cakes with you :)

Bears are too easy too kill:/ with stats ~50 you can solo kill bear using sword? Cmon try it in real life :shock:
I think we should have few types of bears http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_bear
"California golden bear (extinct)" ... "The last known bear was shot in California in 1922." may live in Salem times :)

Some of them may be weak like right now (~50), but some should be much stronger, so chars with stats 100-150 would have to care for them too :)
darnokpl

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:48 pm

That would be called a Kodiak, and is the second largest only to a polar bear. However, I think they've only been found naturally in NW Canada and Alaska (too lazy to look it up). Grizzlies are up there on the size chart, too, but again, they are predominately western US (Rocky Mountains, west coast mountains). Given the size of the bear in-game, I'd say it's about the size of a grizzly when compared to the characters.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations