Official statement on custom clients / mods

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Re: Official statement on custom clients / mods

Postby InnocentFarmer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:27 pm

sabinati wrote:you have some proof of this?

It's pretty known thing, Hell I think everyone has played H&H for some time knows that there are people who use those clients.
InnocentFarmer

Postby sabinati » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:30 pm

That isn't proof, it's conjecture.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Speljohan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:05 pm

There are a couple of tricks that can be used to prevent any kind of modification really, but they require significiant time/resource investments for implementation. I won't go into huge detail, but it entails having a "unique" obfuscated client for each session, and the obfuscation would have 10-11 different variants randomly chosen for each session. Add to that a nice little encryption on the client protocol for each revision push. It's still breakable, but the time investment required to do such a thing would be too much for most to handle.

(This is what Jagex do, and the sole reason they've managed to minimize automation in their games like no other company has before)

Like i said though, the amount of time and resources you'd have to spend is pretty severe, and it's definitely not a good option unless you have a team completely dedicated to doing this.
Speljohan

Postby painhertz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 pm

(This is what Jagex do, and the sole reason they've managed to minimize automation in their games like no other company has before)

Botting is rampant in Runescape...not sure what dimension you're from.
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby Dallane » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 pm

painhertz wrote:

i was loling after reading that
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Potjeh » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 pm

I don't see any of these measures working against client extensions that plug into display buffer and keyboard buffer.
Potjeh

Postby Speljohan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:53 pm

painhertz wrote:

I'm guessing you haven't seen the development in the past 6 months or so. There's extremely few functional bots thesedays due to the sheer amount of effort required in writing one. When i started doing this kind of crap back in 2005 it would take a week tops to write fully functional automation software that could handle updates with no issues whatsoever. Now you basically have to work on it full time to keep up with them.

The exception is (of course), colour-driven bots. They are usually a hassle for people to set up though (not to mention inaccurate), therefore they aren't particularily popular.

Potjeh wrote:I don't see any of these measures working against client extensions that plug into display buffer and keyboard buffer.

You are correct about that. It does limit the options on what you are able to do though.
Speljohan

Postby painhertz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm guessing you haven't seen the development in the past 6 months or so.

You're guess is incorrect.
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:54 pm

You're quite correct that these things take Time, Money, and Resources, none of which this development team has currently. Where you see these anti-hacks implemented are in large budget projects or through conglomerates (like Nexon) where a parent company develops the tools and methods and the game dev just needs to implement them at a fraction of the cost and time it would take others to get it done.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Procne » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:12 pm

If people prefer to automate their gameplay with some bot instead of playing themselves then I find it more of a design flaw, than lack of security. Games are supposed to be fun and interactive, not boring and repetitive. Although I guess in most cases MMO creators disagree with this
Procne

PreviousNext

Return to Artifice & Arcana